Who knew there so many automotive fuse types?

Adding a fuse tap to my 2021 Silverado for a new accessory. I had plenty of fuses on hand from prior purchases. But they were not the correct type. Even with the internet it was difficult to figure out what type was currently in the under hood fuse block. I did not take one out for reference so I searched. Best I can tell the one I'm needing a Micro2 type. Here are just some of the types:

Micro3, Micro2, ATO, MINI, Low Profile MINI, MCASE, JCASE, Low Profile JCASE, MAXI, MIDI, MEGA, PAL Series 0, PAL Series 1, PAL Series 2, PAL Series 5, JCASE

The first four types are the most common. But who knew there were so many. (And this is just a partial list)

fuse1.jpg

I had to buy a whole box of fuse to replace 1 fuse in my 2017 Sienna.
IIRC, it was micro2, I only have ATO and mini in stash.
They sell a pack of 5 for $5 or a whole variety for $6, kind of a thing.

I had to buy a whole box of fuse to replace 1 fuse in my 2017 Sienna.
IIRC, it was micro2, I only have ATO and mini in stash.
They sell a pack of 5 for $5 or a whole variety for $6, kind of a thing.
That's also what I had, ATO and mini on hand. I think most of the newer vehicles use Micro2 or maybe Micro3. A GM parts website indicated the Silverado uses Micro 2.

Engine compartment, micro2, 15 amp. Instrument panel passenger side. 15 amp. Engine compartment. micro 2-blade 15 amp. Instrument panel. micro 2-blade 15 amp.

This is a organizer I setup for Ford fuses. Mind you each drawer is an individual part number so each amperage in each size has its own drawer. This isn't all of them and doesn't include the "regular" and "maxi" ones.

IMG_2867.jpg

"Fuseable links" were short (10" to 12") lengths of wire for Mopars.
We had a replacement on hand for the only one I ever saw burned up.

Legit tech? Maybe it was fitted to some out-of-house option Chrysler sourced?

Fusible links were common on Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles prior to the 1990s. Back then Maxi-fuses did not exist, and I read somewhere that Maxi-fuses were designed as an alternative to fusible links.

A vehicle that was redesigned in the 90s would usually have maxi or pal fuses instead of fusible links.

Fusible links were common on Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles prior to the 1990s. Back then Maxi-fuses did not exist, and I read somewhere that Maxi-fuses were designed as an alternative to fusible links.

A vehicle that was redesigned in the 90s would usually have maxi or pal fuses instead of fusible links.

Yes, my Volvo S70 has one fusible link that powers the cooling fan relay. Very few folks know about this kind of fuse.

Back