Who is using Mobil 1 R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to send off a VOA to Blackstone and get other elements (Boron) and TBN. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll pay for it.
smile.gif

[ February 11, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

So what is Mobils' maximum recommended change interval for this new Mobil 1R, seeing how it costs $6.85/qt, plus shipping?
shocked.gif

quote:

So what is Mobils' maximum recommended change interval for this new Mobil 1R, seeing how it costs $6.85/qt, plus shipping?

Not sure, but I bet it can go a heck of lot further then S2k.
tongue.gif
Not too mention it's $2 cheaper.
shocked.gif

Amsoil is caught between a Mobil and a hard place, AT THE MOMENT. IMO, no oil company should claim anything over 10k miles. Let the auto makers dictate drains, not oil companies. Just my opinion.
smile.gif

[ February 11, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

No help here but I do plan on trying this oil in my CRV at its next change. It's got the regular Mobil-1 0w30 in it now......

It'll be a while but if we still show a need by the time I get there I'll get mine tested.

buster,

Didn't you just say you weren't doing UOAs any more due to your budget?

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Didn't you just say you weren't doing UOAs any more due to your budget?

I'm not going to do UOA's for every oil change I do anymore. I didn't want to do a VOA for M1R but the PDS is taking so long to come out. Plus it won't show the amount of Boron and other possible elements. It might not even show TBN as they currently don't show it for the regular M1.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Not sure, but I bet it can go a heck of lot further then S2k.
tongue.gif
Not too mention it's $2 cheaper.
shocked.gif

Amsoil is caught between a Mobil and a hard place, AT THE MOMENT. IMO, no oil company should claim anything over 10k miles. Let the auto makers dictate drains, not oil companies. Just my opinion.
smile.gif

I don't know about that. VOA prove Mobil 1 to have good anti-wear characteristics, but never have I seen a really long term Mobil 1 show up anything good. Amsoil is 2nd place in terms of inventing extended drain oils.. who's first place?? SynLube (www.synlube.com) they are quite frankly PROBABLY the inventors of a synthetic collodial oil for the car. (1964).

Mobil is not made for extended drains, it has a lower TBN than Amsoil and a less robust ZPPN package. This new "R" is supposed to have 2x the ZPPN package then, well unless we see the full stats on the oil we can't say its gonna beat everything on the market in extended drains/performance.

anyway end of my rant! just my 2 cents.

The key question is if you can run extended drains without adding a bunch of makeup oil?

In the 3MP study, six quarts of Mobil 1 were added over the course of 18,000 miles ....that's like doing a complete oil change on the LS-1 engine ....

I routinely run Amsoil for 12,000-20,000 miles without adding any makeup oil, except for the filter change and topoff after six months. I've been doing this since 1978 with extremely good results.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The key question is if you can run extended drains without adding a bunch of makeup oil?

In the 3MP study, six quarts of Mobil 1 were added over the course of 18,000 miles ....that's like doing a complete oil change on the LS-1 engine ....

I routinely run Amsoil for 12,000-20,000 miles without adding any makeup oil, except for the filter change and topoff after six months. I've been doing this since 1978 with extremely good results.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

exactly.

Here is a little image I cooked up at work here in Photoshop to show who is using the new Mobil 1 R oil!
smile.gif
Thanks go out to Pscholte for the inspiration for this image.
smile.gif

-

Hi,

as I mentioned here once before it is amazing how a simple thread about a Mobil 1 product turns in to a "...but Amsoil is better..." contest

I for one will be reluctant to post here in future if this type of "selling" continues

I am sure Bob would not have intended this as a "feature" of this Board

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by therion:

Mobil is not made for extended drains ...

This is simply NOT true. Every single grade of Mobil 1 (with the exception of the 0w20) is rated either A5 or A3. These are both the toughest EXTENDED DRAIN specs in Europe. And the 0w40 meets the MB 229.5 spec, which is the toughest OEM extended drain spec in Europe. To say that Mobil 1 "is not made for extended drains" is to ignore the facts.

Amsoil, on the other hand, doesn't "meet" any of these specs. I have yet to see any Amsoil literature that says their oils have been tested and approved against the ACEA specs. What Amsoil does say is that their oils are "recommended for applications requiring" A3, etc. That's a far cry from actually being tested against the spec and meeting it.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by therion:

Mobil is not made for extended drains ...

This is simply NOT true. Every single grade of Mobil 1 (with the exception of the 0w20) is rated either A5 or A3. These are both the toughest EXTENDED DRAIN specs in Europe. And the 0w40 meets the MB 229.5 spec, which is the toughest OEM extended drain spec in Europe. To say that Mobil 1 "is not made for extended drains" is to ignore the facts.

Amsoil, on the other hand, doesn't "meet" any of these specs. I have yet to see any Amsoil literature that says their oils have been tested and approved against the ACEA specs. What Amsoil does say is that their oils are "recommended for applications requiring" A3, etc. That's a far cry from actually being tested against the spec and meeting it.

That is true, in the USA they don't brag about extended drains though. I guess false advertising has fooled me
frown.gif

quote:

as I mentioned here once before it is amazing how a simple thread about a Mobil 1 product turns in to a "...but Amsoil is better..." contest

Thats why I dislike Amsoil more everyday. I'm tired of their propaganda. They make good oils, but they and Mobil 1 are NOT the only good synthetics out there. Redline, Schaeffer's, CC, Synergyn are all very good oils.

Mobil 1 is as capable of extended drains as Amsoil. There were two 15k and 17k mile drains with NO oil used that were excellent.

Tooslick, the 3MP study with Mobil 1 only used 1qt of make up oil. The rest was from samples. Try again.

[ February 12, 2004, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Tooslick, the 3MP study with Mobil 1 only used 1qt of make up oil. The rest was from samples. Try again.

I think what TS is getting at is that a total of 6 quarts of oil were added during the course of the "test." Whether it was from consumption or sampling is really irrelevant. Either way, six fresh quarts of oil were added, which is bound to skew the results versus no oil being added over the course of a 15,000 mile oci.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:

Doug, I do understand where you're coming from, but extended drains and Amsoil go hand-in-hand.

To me M1R a joke, it's a product looking for a market. I never plan on purchasing it. This product will be gone in 2 years--or only availble at very select retailers.

Conversely, Mobil's SUV oil is a marketing genius--making the Delvac 1 product, arguably one of the best oils one can buy, more availble to all of us. This product will line the shelves for more years than M1R will...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back