Who is the oil company that leads the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isnt a who is better or anything like that because we all have our opinions. In every field there is that one company(sometimes 2 or 3) that always raise the bar when the competition is close, who do you think it is? Or is it just a big experiment of trying new things and it just comes down to who has formulated the best package at the time.

Molekule could answer this. I'd say ExxonMobil, Shell/BP. But then their are Lubrizol/Ethyls etc. Not sure how they fit in.

I have never been a proponent of Castrol, but with thier cheap OTC A5 rated blend, and the wonderful Green GC potion, I think they may have some leading technology. Currently using Syntec Blend in one vehicle, and GC in the other (the third is running Motorcraft 15W-40 HDEO).
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
I have never been a proponent of Castrol, but with thier cheap OTC A5 rated blend, and the wonderful Green GC potion, I think they may have some leading technology. Currently using Syntec Blend in one vehicle, and GC in the other (the third is running Motorcraft 15W-40 HDEO).
smile.gif

Don't forget Castrol's new ester fortified Start Up. Valvoline had esters in Maxlife, but then for some reason, switched to PAO (so I am told).

Exxon/Mobil would be the leader of course but you do have alot of others who have very good research labs. Could be anyone's guess as who formulates the next step in better oil performance. There is Chevron, Castrol, Shell and Petro Canada...who knows but better for the consumers.

I don't think there is a clear leader, especially when you consider the separate dimensions of engineering and marketing.

John

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Didn't Chevron invent hydroprocessing, a process that makes crude oil into a much more pure base stock?

Pennzoil/SOPUS invented a method to make their base stocks cleaner, Chevron's ISOSYN dewaxes base stocks to make them perform better, in a way a quasi-synthetic.

I think a strong case can be made for Pennzoil and Castrol...while the appearance of bottles meeting the latest requirements (API and/or ACEA) can be affected by how quickly product moves off the shelves, look who usually has the latest specs on their in-store inventory first.

One could say that Valvoline is a marketing leader, since they introduced Maxlife, and the rest of the industry followed with thier own HM oils.

quote:

Originally posted by nthach:

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Didn't Chevron invent hydroprocessing, a process that makes crude oil into a much more pure base stock?

Pennzoil/SOPUS invented a method to make their base stocks cleaner, Chevron's ISOSYN dewaxes base stocks to make them perform better, in a way a quasi-synthetic.

Huh? Chevron has their own proprietary hydrocracking and isodewaxing technology which they LICENSED to Conoco and Pennzoil to use at their (formerly) jointly owned refinery known as Excel Paralubes. IsoSyn is a complete hydrogen/catalyst refining process, not just a dewaxing procedure.

quote:

Originally posted by TOMBUCK:
ASMOIL LEADS THE WAY IN MY BOOK.
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Yeah, they sure do, with their additive technology and base oil chemistry basically where Mobil 1 was 15 years ago.
rolleyes.gif

Amsoil was cutting edge in 1974 with their ester based synthetic 10w40. Right now, they are yesterday's oil, a PAO-based synthetic with a backward perspective on EP/AW additives.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Right now, they are yesterday's oil, a PAO-based synthetic with a backward perspective on EP/AW additives.

Gman, I don't believe this is the case. There's alot of info in a UOA, but there's much more we don't see. Therein lies their success IMO. What may seem like old-technology from our perspective probably isn't the case. We truly don't know what's in the oil unless we pay a couple hundred bucks for a complete analysis.
dunno.gif

quote:

Amsoil was cutting edge in 1974 with their ester based synthetic 10w40. Right now, they are yesterday's oil, a PAO-based synthetic with a backward perspective on EP/AW additives.

I do think I would go that far. I think what your saying is that they are using more ZDP and not the combo of additives that the others are having to use, which is a new and more advanced approach. Redline and Amsoil will both tell you that ZDP is still the best anti-wear additive for the $$. Amsoil could probably benefit from some Moly that might control the thickening that occurs in some of their oils. But then again, GC has no moly and does fine. I think Amsoil uses more then what shows in a UOA/VOA in the base oil blend.
smile.gif

Amsoil may be and probbly is a fine motor oil. The problem I have is the "Amway" marketing method. If they really had the best product they would go head to head with the competition on the store shelves at Wally World.

Amsoil is not a leader. The leaders IMO, are the ones making and developing the next generation additives/basestocks that Amsoil and other blenders will use to make great oils. XOM,BP,Shell,Lubrizol,Infinium etc. are the leaders.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
Amsoil may be and probbly is a fine motor oil. The problem I have is the "Amway" marketing method. If they really had the best product they would go head to head with the competition on the store shelves at Wally World.

You mean like the orange wall of death. Or the 100 useless additives on the shelves at Wally World? That would put them in good company.

I believe Amsoil turned down Wally Worlds purchasing department and they were suprised that anyone would turn them down.

Personally, I don't see how putting anything on Wally Worlds shelf makes it a better product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back