Who is running Mobil 1 R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone running this oil? It seems like it has fallen off the face of the earth. Good stuff and we need some UOAS!
wink.gif

You should be
smile.gif
run it in that Ford Focus .

I heard installing the M1R on a full moon produced the best results .... reckon there's any truth to this or was the expert telling me this scamming me since the moon was full and bright ?
shocked.gif

I was one of the early suckers that bought it.
pat.gif
I only have 1,000 miles on it so far.

I haven't used it because I was disappointed with the spec sheet. It appears to be regular 0w-30 with more zinc/phos(VOA). Big deal! I could get the same results by adding 1.5oz(or so) of GM EOS to reg 0w-30.

[ April 27, 2004, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

If it hits down under, I might use it to boost up some M1 0W-40 (additive wise), while reducing the viscoscity of the 0W-40 some.

(Actually, I doubt I'll do that, but it seems like a good idea to me)

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
You should be
smile.gif
run it in that Ford Focus .

I heard installing the M1R on a full moon produced the best results .... reckon there's any truth to this or was the expert telling me this scamming me since the moon was full and bright ?
shocked.gif

No he wasn't, but it only applies to full moons that fall on a Tuesday or Thursday and only if after installation, you dance backwards and counterclockwise around your car while sprinkling holy water on it. . .
wink.gif

======================================

quote:

Originally posted by Finklejag:
I was one of the early suckers that bought it.
pat.gif
I only have 1,000 miles on it so far.

My serious question: As a nearly 20-year M-1 user, I'm always curious when they launch a new product. Are you displeased with its performance so far? I was thinking of trying a fill of it in my 03 V-6 Camry, any reason you can think of not to, given your experience?

Hang on a second. Why is everybody down on the MR1, it posted excellent VOA's. Am I missing something????

Mobil 1 R is probably an incredible oil. Too many people on here, IMO, worry about the wrong **** specs. Lets see, Mobil 1 0w-20, a thin oil, shows excellent results. Then we have all these comments CONSTANTLY about A3 rating/thicker and LS1.
rolleyes.gif
Forget about the LS1!! It's not the only engine and not everyone cares about it needing a thicker oil. It's a poorly wearing engine anyway. 74% of NASCAR isn't using Mobil 1 bc it's sucks. Note the bold of this testamonial:

quote:

Patrick Veltri, Male, Engineer, Ashburn, Virginia
Every year in January and March, I travel to Florida to work as an SCCA pit marshal for the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona and the Mobil 1 12 Hours at Sebring endurance races. As a pit marshal, my responsibilities include keeping a written log of everything that the pit crew does to the car whenever they pit. Consequently, I am familiar with the equipment and products that the racing team use. My experience has shown me that the oil of choice in the world of endurance racing is Mobil 1 . If these endurance teams can use Mobil 1 in their racecars at the track at over 100 mph for up to 24 hours straight, well then, I think it’s good enough for me."

[ April 27, 2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I do think M1R 0w-30 is a very good oil if you need a low-vis lube that can stand up to some "punishment".

Edit - I was being stupid...
frown.gif

[ April 27, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Jelly, you need to do some reading.
smile.gif
Mobil 1 0w-20 has had ONE bad UOA, thats it. Put your glasses on.
wink.gif

One UOA out of 15 or so and the oil is bad? Jelly, your proving my point. Whats next, a trip to another forum claiming M1 0w-20 is no good bc in one UOA it showed high wear, that had more to do with the wrong viscosity grade?
nono.gif

This is EXACTLY how rumors get started on the web. M1 0w-20 is one of the best oils out there right now.
tongue.gif

[ April 27, 2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

First off, I'm nearsighted, so I have no problems reading the computer screen...
grin.gif

I'd like to know though...why do you hold 0w-20 in such a high regard? What makes it so much better than M1 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, etc?

Jelly, take a look at the UOA's my friend. Very impressive. I'm not saying it's a better oil for every application, but it has been for some reason putting up incredible numbers. Remember, we dont see everything an oil is made up of via a UOA/VOA.
wink.gif

What makes you think the LS1 is a poorly wearing engine Buster? I've seen a lot of LS1 reports showing low engine wear. Not only that, but the only guys I've known (and I know a LOT of LS1 owners) who have needed engine rebuilds are those guys who have done internal work to the motor (performance cams and ported heads) and simply had bad work done to the motor which wore it out prematurely.

Forgive me if this has been batted around before, but it also looks like the M-1R is NOT API licensed? Or am I missing it? In the same spot where the other M-1s mention certifications, there's just nothing on the M-1R.

I haven't noticed anything different about this oil compared to the SAAB 0W-30 turbo oil I had in before. They both have about the same additive packages.

SAAB 0W-30/0W-30R

Calicum:3447/3024
Magnesium:241/13
Phosphorus:1029/1399
Zinc:1180/1536
Boron:254/178

I think I will stick with the $2.00 cheaper a liter SAAB oil. But if what my parts guy said is true about SAAB not imported the 0W-30 anymore, and going to use Mobil 1 0W-40 only in the US. I will use the R before the 0W-40.

quote:

What makes you think the LS1 is a poorly wearing engine Buster?

Patman, I should have been more clear. What I meant was that LS1s and other GM engines show higher level of certain wear metals like Copper and Iron (sometimes) as compared to Toyota/Subaru/VW engines.

I'm a HUGE fan of the LS1. One of the best engines of all time IMO. They are very tough and hold up well. Point is, I don't really judge all oils based on how they do in a LS1 engine, being they have a tendancy to show higher levels of wear with many oils.

For instance, Redline's really only good showing is in VW engines it seems. Hond and RL usually show higher Pb values. Amsoil seems to do well in LS1's and All oils do well in Subarus. Just depends on the engine in many cases.

[ April 27, 2004, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I am sorry but my Toyota Sequoia still does not have enough miles on the Mobil 1R to provide a UOA, but soon will. Moreover, my "tick" on startup went away the next day after switching to Mobil 1 R from Mobil 1 10W30. Additionally, I have picked up 1 mpg average, overall.. UOA to follow soon.
George Morrison, STLE CLS
AV Lubricants Inc.
www.avlube.com

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
I am sorry but my Toyota Sequoia still does not have enough miles on the Mobil 1R to provide a UOA, but soon will. Moreover, my "tick" on startup went away the next day after switching to Mobil 1 R from Mobil 1 10W30. Additionally, I have picked up 1 mpg average, overall.. UOA to follow soon.
George Morrison, STLE CLS
AV Lubricants Inc.
www.avlube.com

George: My wife's Sequoia, an '01 4x2 model we got new, but which only has 25k miles on it, has been very happy on M-1 5w-30, although I'm open to trying new things. My concern with this vehicle is that half of the powertrain wty remains. What's your take on the API issue? Mobil's PDS is silent -- what's the bottle say?

BUSTER: I thought in the redline thread you stated we all put too much emphasis on UOA and minute differences in ppm.

But now your using UOA to prove mobil 1 0w-20 is a great oil. I'm not arguing it isn't, but I'm confused by your rationale.

Personally I agree with alot of what Dave (at redline) said. There's other tests needed to look at the entire wear picture.

No one said mobil 1 isn't a good oil, or it's not good for racing. I just thought mobil would do something trick For the R. More than just increase a few AW adds, especially for the price.

[ April 27, 2004, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

Buster,

Stop equivocating. If you think the LS1 shows crappy wear numbers just say so.

I don't car one bit about LS1s or any other GM engine. I consider GM UOAs a statistical outlier.

Mobil dropped the ball on M1 R in my opinion. I like the A3 rating. HT/HS actually means something for engines that thrash oil.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back