Who is planning a diet on Jan 1.

I started going to a nutrition heath (DR and nutritionist) office just before Christmas. So will be shifting from counting calories to focusing on carbs and trying to get saturated fat to the bare minimum. And some weight lifting in addition to walking. If diet & exercise alone does not help then a Rx may be considered.

I figure I have 35 lbs to loose to get to 180.

Ramping into it this week, am on vacation and I might as well start easing into it.

Good on you for taking control of your health.

I started being more disciplined right after thanksgiving. I don’t really do resolutions. If I want to do something I just do it right then. I put on about 15lbs this fall and wasn’t happy about it. Already lost 7lbs since thanksgiving. My sweet spot is around 200lbs. I still feel strong but have good cardio and flexibility at that weight.

Eliminate sugars., grains, soft drinks and alcohol. Eat meat, fat and non starchy veges

If it's any help, try eating a Mediterranean diet.
Except when I was single, that is pretty much how I've ate my entire life.
You don't want to diet, you need to change how you eat and stick to it. I was measured at 6'2-5/8 "6'2" at my last DOT physical and I currently weigh 161. I need to gain weight but I feel fine.

I eat red meat only once a week. I go out for ice cream once a week in the summer. I drink Diet Coke, who cares.

One thing I plan to avoid after January 1 - the gym. I’ll work out, using my wife’s Concept II rowing machine and the free weights we have.

But, oh, the gyms are always crowded in January, full of bozos who haven’t work out since their previous New Year’s resolution.

What happens when you go of this so called diet it needs to be a lifestyle change or why bother
Right, because if you don’t succeed the first time, you should quit and never try again. ‘cuz life never gets in the way and derails things.

You don't want to diet, you need to change how you eat and stick to it. I was measured at 6'2-5/8 "6'2" at my last DOT physical and I currently weigh 161. I need to gain weight but I feel fine.

I eat red meat only once a week. I go out for ice cream once a week in the summer. I drink Diet Coke, who cares.
I'm an eat everything in moderation person, but I will say the Mediterranean diet is fantastic.

as noted you DONT DIET but learn to eat correctly-healthy, but almost whatever WORKS + is sustainable LIFETIME!!! time restricted eating is said to be the best, search + learn!! FAT is your friend + carbs are NOT but contrary to mainstream advice stable saturated fats are best NOT any highly processed seed oils!!! i had little lbs to loose but lower carb + more healthy fat lowered my BP a LOT!! 74 YO + feeling great taking lots of nutritional supplements works for ME!! + great thing once adjusted to low carb is your NOT always hungry making it EZE!!

I’ve put on about 12-15 lbs since the start of COVID-19 and I want to take it off and get back to my normal weight.
Some of the weight is from snacking that I wasn’t doing but most is from not being as heavily active as I was prior.
Once the holidays are done, 3-5 lbs should fall right off. Then I can focus on the next 10 lbs.

Last edited:
I'm planning to exercise more, at a gym but not to lose weight. I'm going to keep drinking beer regardless...if I can't I might prefer a quick death anyway. 😂

I could stand to lose a few pounds but it's not a necessity. I would like to run with my daughter since that is her thing now with joining cross country. Currently a 5k seems more like a 25k to my body. 😳

My wife already started, I plan on it. 295lbs at 6’2” ain’t healthy. I’d like to at least get to my high school weight, 240lbs.

You sound like you're the ideal size! (y) Don't even worry about gaining weight, it'll make you feel miserable. How large is your frame?

Right, because if you don’t succeed the first time, you should quit and never try again. ‘cuz life never gets in the way and derails things.
Well for most it’s the same thing year after year most gym rats know first of year it will be 3 maybe four weeks and everything will be back to normal. Most give it up after a month than they say maybe next year I’m to busy now. Year after year I see it at my work in my social life same one complaining they need to do something but never get it done cause they are week minded it’s so much easier to quit plain and simple.

My coach and mentor was bad a$$ and never let you say ohhh poor me you have to get it done nobody gonna do it but you. Learned a lot and never quit day after day getting after it that is life.

Mediterranean is good, Dash is even better.

I agree Hermann! I too need more exercise and the weight will come off even if I didn't change anything in my diet. But I will change that as well.

I don't do diets, just lifestyle changes, and I never associate them with a New Year resolution. It's clear to me as we come up on OMG there's no room in the gym because of all the New Year resolution people are here and that the fact that things will be back to normal by mid-February, that this practice has a low probability of success as far as lifestyle changes. I think this happens because people aren't looking at it seriously as a lifestyle change and instead just something to get to some arbitrary goal like a specific weight.

I was just thinking the other day as I left the gym, 8 years into never missing more than 2 weeks, sore, and feeling a little depleted, how different I look at it now vs 10 years ago. I have no goals that represent some point at which I can stop. I used to set specific goals like I want to bench 225 for 4 sets of 10 and think I'll reach that and then just "cruise" there. Then I'd get there and the new goal just became 235, then 245, 255. Then I stopped thinking about it in terms of what I needed to do to get to a point where I can stop or cruise and this evolved into the goal is just more, always more. Not just heavier weights but sometimes it means working on athletic ability or stamina etc. In the end, it really is just to keep going and doing it.

So my recommendation is to make a lifestyle change. You can set some arbitrary weight goal but don't get caught up in doing extreme things to get there with ideas that once you reach it you're good and can just go back to what got you there. Set realistic lifestyle changes in motion with the goal of continuing them forever, regardless of weight or your mini goals.

Back