Who hydrocracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#8: If it's not there now it should be shortly. It's in a gold or copper colored bottle.

The HM is made from a higher VI base stock and does have a slightly higher pour point.

I was notified yesterday we are coming out with a 5W30 HM with the Pennzoil and Quaker State sometime before October.

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:
Patman, have you seen Pennzoil HM oil at Walmart? I don't believe they carry HM from Pennzoil.

I haven't seen it anywhere up here. I was looking for it last weekend at Walmart and at Canadian Tire and neither of them have it.

Employee 8: "Is hydrocracking really an expensive process money wise?"
Currently base oil (price per gallon) ranges from:
Group I: - $1.20 to 1.36
Group II: - $1.31 to 1.41
Group II+: - $1.61
Group III: - $2.25

Widman and the rest,I think or wish they would put the moly in the group II+ oils but then there would not be much reason to make a group III synthetic it seems if they did this.

Ooopps,forgot the superior Cold crank of the Group III's,must be quite a bit of difference in that + designation. Still wish the II+ oils had moly,I see Castrols dino uses some as well as the Motorcraft/Conoco oil

That new Texaco Synthetic Group III looks good on paper,especially the 10/30 with it's 4 NOAK and low pump pressure, Phillips also must have picked up something from Chevron with the Chevron Phillips Chemical company or Conoco.Don't know if thats oil related though. But their oils are again,looks great on paper with exellent ccp and more.Very low sulpahated ash with ther HD II oils comapered to some others available

[ August 28, 2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:
Patman, have you seen Pennzoil HM oil at Walmart? I don't believe they carry HM from Pennzoil.

I haven't seen it anywhere up here. I was looking for it last weekend at Walmart and at Canadian Tire and neither of them have it.

Patman, I had no luck finding HM Pennz also.

Phoned Petro-Canada this morning and spoke to one of their technical people about thier oils and oils in general.

The_Oz -- Asked him about the oil they supply to Honda. He said that it is probably not any special formulation (although he was'nt sure) because Honda is not a big enough customer to do a special formulation.

Johnny -- Asked him about the Percent of purity in just their regular severely hydrocracked base oil. He said that is 99.5% or greater. The VHVI fluids that they produce are over and above that (in terms of quality, I took it). The VHVI fluids are group III's

In general talk, he said that most other oil companies are playing "catch up" to Petro-Canada in terms of quality of product, basically because the others are spending more of their money on heavily advertising their products rather than on the product itself. Petro-Canada makes it's money on original equipment fills for a lot of the car companies, as they have proven their products to be excellent performance for a lower cost (I take it to mean in comparison to PAO's). PC has been in the Hydrocracking business since the 1970's when they were Gulf, which is before just about before anyone else was thinking about it. As a result, they are known practically worldwide in industry as a maker of top quality lubes. Apparently they have a lot of people wanting to look at their process. However, because they don't advertise very much to the buying public they are usually overlooked by the average consumer when selecting oil for their cars.

I asked him about the use of Mobil 1 in my car here in southern Ontario. He said that it is way overkill. The average decent OTC engine oil, changed regularly, will enable one to get all the life out of a modern engine that it was designed to give. Just a thought of mine here -- are some of us here splitting too many hairs trying to analyse this oil stuff too much. What I mean is, if one stays away from truly poor oils and gets the engine to easily last more than the life of the rest of the car, isn't the job done? Or another way of looking at it, why strive for a million mile engine in a quarter million mile car?

Anyway, for whats it worth to all out there.

quote:

Originally posted by Canuk:

I asked him about the use of Mobil 1 in my car here in southern Ontario. He said that it is way overkill. The average decent OTC engine oil, changed regularly, will enable one to get all the life out of a modern engine that it was designed to give. Just a thought of mine here -- are some of us here splitting too many hairs trying to analyse this oil stuff too much. What I mean is, if one stays away from truly poor oils and gets the engine to easily last more than the life of the rest of the car, isn't the job done? Or another way of looking at it, why strive for a million mile engine in a quarter million mile car?

Anyway, for whats it worth to all out there.

It is true, we are splitting hairs in a lot of cases, as many of us will probably trade our cars in long before we'll see the engines wear out anyways. However some of us can't sleep at night unless we know we are running an oil that will allow us to make an engine go the distance!
grin.gif

Some of us also own cars that we'd like to keep going a very long time, such as me with my 1995 Firebird Formula, especially since they shut down production of the Firebirds and Camaros this Tuesday, so there will not be any more new Firebirds ever again!
frown.gif
(The Camaro is most likely going to be revived in a couple of years, but not the Firebird)

By the way, I guess Petro Canada spends more of it's research on it's oil, because it's gasoline sucks. Everyone I know avoids Petro Canada gas like the plague. I guess it didn't help that it used to be owned by the Canadian Government, so it was even more incentive back then to avoid it. But now I'm going way off topic....

offtopic.gif

Bad Patman!
nono.gif

Canuk,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. If I had known that you would give PC a call, I would've asked you to ask them where I can find PC Duron 5W40
frown.gif
And yes, I am striving for a million mile engine in a quarter-million mile car...

wink.gif

Oz

You just reminded me of something. A mechanic I used to know had an old Volvo and it's engine was approaching 1 million kilometers, but the body of the car was a rusty mess. He pulled that engine out and put it into a newer Volvo body and kept on driving for a while longer! So there is hope for those nice strong engines in old tired bodies!
smile.gif

CANUK - I'm sure you're right. I can't explain why this whole oil business interests me so. Perhaps is simple pride? I once had a friendly competition with a good friend over who could get the most mileage out of our vehicles. I had a 1986.5 Nissan P/U with 287,000 miles (original water pump even, but 4 clutches!). I would have won had a bone head not t-boned it one day.
mad.gif

Perhaps I should just find a hobby other than trying to make heads or tails out of this oil stuff.
blush.gif
One second thought ...
patriot.gif

One more thing I should add that I got from the guy at Petro-Canada. He said that the durability is not affected on engines running 5W-20 oils, provided they are designed for it. The reason he gave is that because of the closeness of the 5 and the 20 weights of the oils that make up this viscosity do not require the VI improvers that a larger spread in the numbers would require. Not sure if that's all there is to it but, anyway he said durabilty is not affected in engines designed for it.

quote:

Originally posted by Canuk:
One more thing I should add that I got from the guy at Petro-Canada. He said that the durability is not affected on engines running 5W-20 oils, provided they are designed for it. The reason he gave is that because of the closeness of the 5 and the 20 weights of the oils that make up this viscosity do not require the VI improvers that a larger spread in the numbers would require. Not sure if that's all there is to it but, anyway he said durabilty is not affected in engines designed for it.

IMHO--He is giving you the party line. If you never push your engine it may be true. I doubt that 5w20 is as good for your engine as 5w30. Newer VII's are much more durable and the 30 weight will protect your engine better.

I really don't think many of the engines that now specify 5w20 were actually designed for it. Both Honda and Ford used to recommend 5w30/10w30, then all of a sudden started pushing 5w20 on the 2001 models, but yet the engines were unchanged for the most part from the 2000 models. Simply put, 5w20 is a fuel economy oil. I wouldn't want to gain 0.5 MPG at the sacrifice of long term durability though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back