Who hydrocracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the other oil companies such as Castrol, Valvoline, and various oil companies following this process for conventional oils? I would think Castrol would probably not follow since they love to cut costs here and there. Is hydrocracking really an expensive process money wise? Moving along, Pennzoil up here is slightly cheaper in price by $0.10-$0.15/quart then the other leading brands such as Castrol, Q-State, and Valvoline. Looks like a really sleeper.
wink.gif
Good oil and low price.
smile.gif

[ August 27, 2002, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Employee#08 ]

I know that Havoline uses a Group II but not sure about the Group II+. Their base stock is made my Chevron who makes the oil.

Shell also makes Group II base stocks.

Castrol and Valvoline both use Group II, although neither make the base stock. I'm not sure who they purchase it from. It is a more expensive process to make these base stocks.

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:
Definitely, Pennzoil seems to be the clear winner. Might have to switch over to Pennz for my next oil change. Maxlife no more?

I definitely say to go for the Pennzoil if you're gonna run dino. Walmart up here always has tons of Pennzoil jugs in stock, and I believe it's priced lower than all other oils (except for their crappy house brand) too. When you combine the fact that Pennzoil has a group 2+ base oil, with a bit of moly added as well, it is definitely the bargain oil out there!

Does anyone have a recent oil analysis of Pennzoil 10w30 or 5w30 with the SL formulation?

I just looked at the virgin analysis section again and I notice I was wrong. It's the Pennzoil high mileage that contains moly, or the 15w40 in their dino oil. So I'm not sure if the regular 5w30 and 10w30 Pennzoil has moly in it or not. Johnny, can you find this out?

Employee#8-- Checkout the Petro Canada site. I think you'll find that their "supreme" oil looks even better than the Pennzoil. They claim that their Hydrotreating/Hydroisomerisation process produces 99.5% saturated base stock. Whereas Pennzoil only claims 97% saturated. Both of these are good, but if you're splitting hairs.. Also the Supreme oil has better flash point and pour points. The numbers are even better on their semi-synth oil which uses a combination of their Hydrotreated and VHVI (Very High Viscosity Index) fluids. These are the oils that I'm considering switching to if the new SS M1 gets too much more expensive when it comes out here.

How much is the Petro Canada oil though? The only places I have seen it are in the gas stations (not that I buy my gas there ever!) and they charge a ton of money for oil there. Pennzoil will easily be half the cost of the Petro Canada oil, so based on that alone it's a clear winner.

VHVI (Very High Viscosity Index) fluids are Group III, non-synthetic fluids.

Petro Canada used to supply most of the factory fills for Detroit. Don't know if they still do so.

All of those Petro Canada numbers are based on their Group III base stock which they supply to Castrol for their Syntec oil. The Pennzoil Group III is also 99% pure.

Molakule: I don't think they supply Detroit any more. Mobil has most of that business.

Patman-- Yes, the Petrocan oils are only available, for the most part, at their service stations and they are more expensive ($3.69/l vs. $2.66/qt for 5w-30), but Employee#8 was asking for other hydrotreated oils out there, and Petro-Canada seems to make an excellent product because of their expertise in the Hydrotreating business since at least the '70's when they were Gulf. I have inquired about the lubricant supplier for Honda Canada and it is Petro-Canada. Not that it is an absolute indicator of quality, but Honda usually is a cut above most most car companies when it comes to quality.

Petro Canada's base stocks are excellent. They are one of the three largest producers of Group II and Group III base stocks in North America. I'm not sure which one is the largest in this field, but the big three in Group II and Group III base stocks are Petro Canada, Chevron, and Pennzoil/CONOCO.

The_Oz -- Sorry ,no, I don't know if the Honda oil is the same as the PC Supreme oil or not. However I suspect that it is not, because I picked up an information pamphlet on Hondas' oils and fluids which states that the Honda motor oil is "an all-season blend of highly refined mineral base oils combined with Honda's unique chemical additive package."

Another thing that I did'nt mention on my other posts that points to Petro-Canada as a supplier to Honda Canada is that you can tell that the motor oil and the transmission oil bottles at the Honda parts counter are identical in shape to the ones at Petro-Canada service stations.

Why is Pennzoil HM only have a pour point of -30 degrees celsius and conventional Pennzoil have -42 degrees celsius? Do all HM oils have pour points higher then conventional oils?

quote:

Originally posted by Canuk:
Employee#8-- Checkout the Petro Canada site. I think you'll find that their "supreme" oil looks even better than the Pennzoil. They claim that their Hydrotreating/Hydroisomerisation process produces 99.5% saturated base stock. Whereas Pennzoil only claims 97% saturated. Both of these are good, but if you're splitting hairs.. Also the Supreme oil has better flash point and pour points. The numbers are even better on their semi-synth oil which uses a combination of their Hydrotreated and VHVI (Very High Viscosity Index) fluids. These are the oils that I'm considering switching to if the new SS M1 gets too much more expensive when it comes out here.

Canuk, from what I read Pennzoil Purebase is 99% saturated. Johnny, which is the correct value? 97% or 99%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back