Who heard the quote from the Shell exec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning on the radio there was a quote from one of the top Shell oil exec's where he was basically saying how good Americans had it compared to the price per gallon of gas in other countries, he specifically stated that the cost of a gallon of gas in this country was less than other certain European countries and implied that they should charge the same here. Like Americans do not know that the difference in price is mainly due to the exhorbitant tax other countries put on it , and has nothing to do with what Shell or BP charges wholesale. I mean how stupid does he think Americans are? OK, granted quite a few wouldn't know the difference, but there was no mention of the difference in taxes at the retail level, and that at the wholesale there is no difference in price. I think I will stop buying any Shell products period after listening to that malarky.

I stopped using Shell after their gas card started charging me returned check fees even though I didn't have a balance for months. ??? Called customer support and had one of the worst customer support exeriences ever. Chevron is the only place I go to now.

Another thing is, USA buys a ton more gas than any European country will. If it isn't obvious now, gas companies are stealing money out of American pockets because they can. Katrina caused gas prices to go up everywhere - including East and West USA even though we on the coasts get most of our oil/gas overseas. ???

That is ok... I plan on getting a diesel car and finding ways to make my own fuel or find someone that does.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by reyjay1:
...how stupid does he think Americans are?...

Apparently very stupid. Most, if not all, members of the European Union fund their universal health care from motor fuel taxes. Given that an increasing number of American corporate giants are dropping health care coverage... But that American SOPUS S.O.B. is right to be concerned that current gasoline pricing is too low over here. He's probably worried that his retirement package won't be sufficient to cover the lifestyle he feels he's entitled to when he puts aside the strains and stresses of corporate life. After all, forty-million dollar widebody, lavishly outfitted Boeing and Airbus jets for personal use don't grow on trees. (and for some reason, their pilots feel they should receive a competitive a salary, too - danged no-accounts! Most of 'em learn how to fly a jet in the military at gub'mnt expense, and BANG! - they think they're entitled to more than minimum wage after they leave the service.) Next time you cringe at $3.00+/gallon gasoline, just remember that life at the top ain't easy, either.
wink.gif

[ June 19, 2006, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

After seeing the shell exec on Oz T.V. trying to not justify why petrol in 6 Oz states went up 10c prior to the long weekend, but DROPPED in other countries, and indeed Western Australia (who didn't celebrate that long weekend), I'll not be purchasing their stuff for a while.

Is there a gas/oil company anywhere that doesn't practice some kind of duplicitous economic quackistry? Choose your poison, pick your pusher.

Personally, if high gas taxes bought universal health care for all of us, I wouldn't mind at all. That is of course not likely ever to happen here.

"I plan on getting a diesel car and finding ways to make my own fuel or find someone that does."
---I know a guy who drives an old Mercedes, goes around to several (locally owned) restaurants taking their used vegetable oil, filters it through big coffee filters, and dumps it right in his gas tank. I don't know if he uses any diesel fuel additives, or how long he expects the motor to last, but he has been going strong that way now for over two years.

As a normally Friedman-esque economic apologist, I seldom subscribe to all the "corporate greed" conspiracy theories. But when the natural laws of supply and demand in a supposedly free market are @#$%ed up by ridiculous economic policies, a complete lack of a consistent or even coherent energy policy, artificially inflated demand, artificially deflated supply, collusion, and just plain stupidity, well...all I can say is:

@#$% 'EM ALL!!! THEY CAN LICK MY SWEATY @#$ SACK! :flag

(Once more, WITH flag!)

As a normally Friedman-esque economic apologist, I seldom subscribe to all the "corporate greed" conspiracy theories. But when the natural laws of supply and demand in a supposedly free market are @#$%ed up by ridiculous economic policies, a complete lack of a consistent or even coherent energy policy, artificially inflated demand, artificially deflated supply, collusion, and just plain stupidity, well...all I can say is:

@#$% 'EM ALL!!! THEY CAN LICK MY SWEATY @#$ SACK!
patriot.gif

Don't care, my car loves Shell v-power and I'll continue to use it. Besides, they won't raise their rates unless they can get the other big oil companies to go along with them.

quote:

Originally posted by Raven18940:
Besides, they won't raise their rates unless they can get the other big oil companies to go along with them.

SURE they would. All they need is customer loyalty, like yours, and they can inch up the price to the point that you're no longer willing to pay the premium, then back off just a hair. Then others do the same, then back again, and so it goes. It's called price elasticity...and they'll stretch it as far as they can. Heck, who wouldn't? As long as you have a willing cadre of loyal customers who are willing to pay for that v-power, techron, super-premo, greatest in the world add pack that your car just loves, and they have very little competition, and a false supply and demand model, then life is good!
cheers.gif

European countries pay more for gas because of the high fuel taxes over there.
Shell gasoline in one of the better ones out there; well I don't use it regularly, when I do, I get slightly higher mileage from the Shell.
Even so, a case can be made that gas here is over-priced as it is. It's high because we are willing to pay it, and because of speculation.
If a terrorist in Iraq belches, they bump the price a couple of ¢¢¢.

You have cheap fuel but no uiversal health care. We have more expensive and higher spec fuel and universal health care. My ife had aneurism at Xmas and a month in hspital with ambulance and you name it didn't cost a cent. we like it that way. Different strokes for different folks as they say...s

I'm not sure how universal that knowledge is. Every time I hear a gas price story on the news they mention that europe pays more for gas, but never once do they mention the gas taz difference.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
You have cheap fuel but no uiversal health care. We have more expensive and higher spec fuel and universal health care. My ife had aneurism at Xmas and a month in hspital with ambulance and you name it didn't cost a cent. we like it that way. Different strokes for different folks as they say...s

Sorry to hear about your wife, and I really hope she is okay. But yes, it did cost you, lots and lots, over and over, with no end, because your government controls your health care system. I *personally* don't like that way of managing health care, because judging from the gov's performance up to now, the less things in my life they have control of, the better. But like you said, if you like it that way down under, then cool. What's good for the goose...

All that being said, I really hope this thread doesn't continue to veer off course and crash into a hopelessly acrimonious discussion of government managed healthcare.

cheers.gif

Corporate greed. Geesh, now these buttheads are telling us how our economy should really work. Of course, means extra ka-billion bucks for them. We have Shell here in my neck of the woods and their prices are always about a dime higher than anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back