Who has flushed a Toyota sealed transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, and having done this several times now, check the level via the OEM procedure. You don't want to run this trans 1/2 quart low. I know, I'm agreeing with the Critic here. Man the planets must be in alignment or something!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
FWIW, and having done this several times now, check the level via the OEM procedure. You don't want to run this trans 1/2 quart low. I know, I'm agreeing with the Critic here. Man the planets must be in alignment or something!
LOL.gif

No one has said anything about 1/2 quart overfilled????

I'm going to go off the TSB for the check procedure, just to be safe though. I would like to do it before i drain to see if the factory shorted me. I'll bet they did.

Did you check your's before the swap?

No was too lazy as the procedure is a PITA!
grin2.gif
In retrospect I should have done it just to see where it was in relation to factory spec.

No was too lazy as the procedure is a PITA!
grin2.gif
In retrospect I should have done it just to see where it was in relation to factory spec.

My trans is now right on the money fluid level wise so next flush will be 12 quarts out 12 quarts in close it up and call it good. Unless I have a leak.
shocked2.gif
FWIW toyota does recommend adding an additional 200ml of fluid to the refill for drips and any incidental fluid loss while changing. So if you are worried about underfilling add another 7 ounces of fluid which is just shy of 1/2 pint.

Last edited:
There are several different approaches to this although I prefer to utilize the sensor method and if when I remove the overflow plug at approx 46 degrees C - 56 and nothing comes out I just add about half a litre and recheck after it cools. I'm a-n-a-l and want it to be right on the money
grin2.gif
LOL.gif
ALthough I do realize a few ounces either way will make no difference.

It's good to see all these different approaches. Makes people more willing to take these on and after doing so, realize it's not so difficult after all.

There are several different approaches to this although I prefer to utilize the sensor method and if when I remove the overflow plug at approx 46 degrees C - 56 and nothing comes out I just add about half a litre and recheck after it cools. I'm a-n-a-l and want it to be right on the money
grin2.gif
LOL.gif
ALthough I do realize a few ounces either way will make no difference.

It's good to see all these different approaches. Makes people more willing to take these on and after doing so, realize it's not so difficult after all.

Wait until you drop the pan on one of these and see the little red plastic drip tube. It is threaded,very small and cheap looking. I am really curious how much fluid expansion you actually get to determine the fluid level with a 10 degree temperature range anyway. I would just love to dump and extra quart in one of these things and see what happens. That's IF they didn't cost $5k to replace.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

You guys are probably more proficient at this than the Toyota technicians!

I expect to see them posting here soon asking for tips on how to do it
grin2.gif

No joke. I have had 3 Dealership senior techs (1 Lexus & 2 Toyota) all tell me: "Better leave that alone because we haven't flushed one yet" "Besides that is a lifetime fill." ??????
crazy2.gif

I wanted to tell them I would show them an easy procedure and then we could all go learn how to glue tiles on the bottom of the Space Shuttle with Krazy Glue...but then I figured NAW...
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Although I do all of the work on my cars and never take them to the dealer I still am faced with going to the Toyota parts counter. Every time I get crush washers for the trans the moron at the counter advises against servicing the transmission as do some of the techs passing by. I just laugh. I just go in, get my parts and get the [censored] out asap.

I cut the swag crimp on the trans hose of a friends sealed Saturn auto trans. I then flushed it like I do on any other trans. I then put two fuel injection clamps back on the hose.

That was pretty straight forward. Checking the fluid level is kind of a funky thang though..........

I had to print out the instructions for the fluid level check, because I had no clue how to do it with no level stick.

Last edited:
Every time I get crush washers for the trans the moron at the counter advises against servicing the transmission as do some of the techs passing by.

Me too...it usually takes 2 trips because they always give me the wrong crush washers. I don't get why all of these guys are so afraid of the "sealed" trans? I mean they have the scan tool to check the temp which is the annoying part.
21.gif

So what's the best way to do a full exchange on an 06 taco automatic? I read through your whole post AzFireGuy and everything sounds fine except working with the cooler and also the drain plug.

Do all v6's have the cooler and lines to drain or only the ones with the towing package? So only 2-3 qts come out from the drain plug...once you do that the first time and refill, what's the next step to get more old fluid out? Drive some and mix it all up and drain again and just do it 6 times?

Basically need some clarification on how to do the full exchange and keep getting old fluid out and new in.

Thanks!

I am not remembering if the standard Tacomas come with an ATF cooler as they are not equipped with the tow package(TRD off road option). If not its not much different than what I have outlined in my write up. Just remove one line, if no cooler it will be connected to the radiator. Have someone turn the motor over until fluid comes out of the line. Note which line is the return line to the trans as this is the one you will poing into the bucket and will ensure all the old fluid in the cooler or radiatior is removed.

Locate the fill plug on the tailshaft of the trans. Remove it. After draining the pan of all fluid replace plug and fill the pan through the fill plug hole with a gear lube type pump. Initially pump in what came out. Start the truck and let two quarts pump out of the cooler line. Stop, pump in two more, resume process until you have used about 14-16 quarts of ATF.

What you have described is a drain and fill by driving around and mixing things up. A flush ensures that about 99% or so of the fluid is replaced with new juice. Really the only difference in this process is having to pump in two quarts as opposed to pouring it in on a dipstick equipped vehicle and having to confirm the fluid level via on board sensors. Also, its vital that you use a low viscosity ATF in this trans. Redline D6, Amsoil ATL and toyota WS are the only ones I would suggest. If you have any other questions let me know!

Thanks! I went and took a look under the truck. There are 2 cooler lines coming off the passenger side of the trans. I didn't follow them all the way to the front, but based on the service manual diagram, it looks like the top/forward most one is the oil cooler outlet line which is the one I'll disconnect to drain everything. Does this sound right or should I try to do it at the cooling unit itself? Seemed pretty open and easy to disconnect at area on the transmission itself where the lines attached.

Just make sure you disconnect the lines near the radiator or if so equipped the auxillary trans cooler. If you have a cooler the line runs into the radiator, to the cooler and then the line runs through the radiator support structure. This is where you disconnect if it has the transmission cooler, not at the trans fittings on the trans.

I would only do it at the trans if the rad/cooler connections are buried with shields and whatnot. That's the way my son's Cherokee is.

..but if you did do it at the trans you should be looking for the oil cooler return line. This should be to the rear of the bellhousing and further away from the converter. You want to get rid of the fluid in the cooler circuit too.

I did my 05 Tacoma over the weekend. I followed the advise given here, and it was pretty easy. Instead of using the jumper wire, I used a IR temp gun. When I started I checked the trans fluid level at the check plug and nothing came out.When I drained the pan I got about 2.7 Qts. Seems like it was down a quart from the factory. I went with the Valvoline DEX/Merc synthetic, and it shifts smooth. I bought 4 gallons, and used them all.

Last edited:
One thing I am curious about on these sealed trannies using WS fluid:

They all seem to require or specify a fairly exact temperature range for checking the fluid level. What is it about these transmissions that requires this? Even on dipstick equipped models, I've not seen any that require this special procedure for getting an exact temperature range before checking. Most models with a dipstick simply say the fluid should be checked warm with the engine idling in Park.

What is it that requires such a specific temperature range? Why don't they simply have the procedure written with the "engine warm" like dipstick equipped models?

I will be changing the ATF (WS) on my 2006 Tundra 4.7 4WD Double Cab, equipped with the towing package, in a month or so, when it reaches 60,000 miles. I intend to use Amsoil ATL.

I had the current (factory) fill of WS analyzed by Blackstone at 15,011 miles, and at 30,146 miles. The viscosity readings, in cSt @100 degrees C was 5.00 and 4.89, respectively, so it does appear to have sheared some. I intend to pull a sample before changing it at 60K miles, and will post the results in the reports forum for transmissions.

Most FSM's have a temp range that needs to be exact, whether it has a dipstick or fill plug. Kinda gives you an idea how accurate we've been over the years!!!

The automaker is just trying to keep dealer service departments employed, along with the parts department.

Making it difficult to change or check the fluid level, and difficult to locate the fluid at a local store, helps who exactly????? !@#$ing dictators!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back