Who has dropped the FF after 1000mi and their resu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my stash of PP 0w-20 ready for my new car and I am very close to the 1000mi mark. I am just wondering how many guys have dropped the FF and gone to a full syn and their results.

MANY do it. MANY do not.

Whatever makes you happy is the best info I can give.
thumbsup2.gif

P.S. Nice find on that 0w20 PP!!!!

I have always dumped the FF early (500-1000 mi). No problems with four vehicles done that way.

Don't forget to dump the FF in the tranny & final drive boxes early. Lots of metal particles in my last vehicle at 2000 mi. There may be accelerated wear if you leave that metal soup in there for the normal OCI.

I dropped the FF of Engine Oil after 1,000KM (600 Miles), and replaced with fresh DINO, then did again after 4,000KM (2400 Miles). Then I switched to M1 Synthetic and changed it every 3,500 Miles as per the warranty and now I change my Amsoil ASL 5w30 every 6,000 Miles.

I have 150,000KM (90,000 Miles) on my SUV now and it isn't using a drop of oil and the UOA's come back really good.

I didn't drop the FF of Transmission fluid until 30,000KM (18,000 Miles)

Originally Posted By: tuckman
I am just wondering how many guys have dropped the FF and gone to a full syn and their results.

How sure are you that the FF isn't a full syn as well?

FYI, the FF in my old '01 A4 was full syn. I dumped it at 5K miles and continued on with full syn.

The 530i had full syn from the factory as well, AFAIK. I'm not the first owner, but the records I received showed that the first oil change was at 8.5k miles.

I go 2000 miles before emptying the factory fill and using full synthetic.

I haven't seen anything bad happen in the engine of my car, my mom's car, or my dad's car.

It seems to me to be a good idea to dump the FF between 1000-2000 miles but no automaker recommends it. Must not be much of an issue.

I just dumped the FF on my new Tacoma at 2,888 miles. I would have dumped it earlier if I had time. I didn't change out the filter. I will change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles.

I used Penzoil YB 5W30.

Originally Posted By: OwnOilChangeGuy
It seems to me to be a good idea to dump the FF between 1000-2000 miles but no automaker recommends it. Must not be much of an issue.

I just dumped the FF on my new Tacoma at 2,888 miles. I would have dumped it earlier if I had time. I didn't change out the filter. I will change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles.

I used Penzoil YB 5W30.

I think because this won't affect the car during the warranty period and most people don't really care about stuff like this so they don't "Inconvenience" the everyday owner with required 1,000 Mile/KM intervals when in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

It's only us BITOG-ers that are anal about oil that really see benefit or comfort from it.
grin2.gif

I always dump the FF early. Usually between 1000-1500. Sometimes I go right to synthetic and sometimes I don't. No real reason why I decide which I use? I run that OC out to 5K and then it is synthetic( RP as a rule )every 5K from there on while under warranty.

On my new 08 Dodge HEMI Ram I dumped the oil at 1500 miles right before I left on a road trip last week. I threw some PP 5W-20 in for the 1st OC to try and help me a little with MPG on the trip. I will swap it out as usual at 5K. Unsure what I will run in this truck though as my permanent choice?

I want to run RP but it doesn't quite meet warranty requirements( no API Starburst anymore - otherwise it is good ). I am about 75-80% leaning towards the RP anyway as my dealer's service manager is fine with me using it. If I don't use it though I will use either QS HP/TP, VVL Synpower, or Kendall GT1.

Not sure what one yet though if I don't use the RP? Once I start an oil at 5K I stick with it for as long as I own the vehicle or until the oil is not made anymore. Still have about 2500 miles to go before I have to decide. I do have 5qts of RP 5W-20 sitting here though just begging to be used.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
I have my stash of PP 0w-20 ready for my new car and I am very close to the 1000mi mark. I am just wondering how many guys have dropped the FF and gone to a full syn and their results.

I made the switch at 1000 on a 2007 Fusion and 2008 Escape. I went to 5 K on the odometer for the next change and change every 5 K. I switched in an F150 at 85K. No leaks in the older (2001) truck and it is at 95 K now. 35K on the Fusion and 15 K on the Escape, but what problems should I have on new vehicles? I like the PP, and it went black quick on the first change in the Escape, but has not done so since. Some type of assembly additive?

congrats on the new car, and good luck!

Last edited:

Old timers did it regularly, most newer engines don't need it, some even come with synthetic. However, some manufacturers install a specific break-in oil (loaded with an additive probably) and are pretty adamant about leaving it in there for a specific period. Honda comes to mind.
Check with a Ford tech if you can, otherwise maybe the owners manual. Personally, unless they go ape stuff about not changing it, I feel real comfortable dumping the ff and watching the golden particle show at 1k.

2009 Camry:
Dropped factory fill at 2300 miles.
Valvoline Synpower 0W20 - 2300-5000
Redline 0W20 at present.
Toyota OEM Japan oil filter.
There was a difference in the engine noise once Redline 0W20 was added. Quiter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I am just wondering how many guys have dropped the FF and gone to a full syn and their results.

FYI, the FF in my old '01 A4 was full syn. I dumped it at 5K miles and continued on with full syn.

The 530i had full syn from the factory as well, AFAIK. I'm not the first owner, but the records I received showed that the first oil change was at 8.5k miles.

Does anyone know if Ford FF's are syn or not? They did up the service schedules to 8000km severe service and 12,000km normal service.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Does anyone know if Ford FF's are syn or not? They did up the service schedules to 8000km severe service and 12,000km normal service.

I think the FF on Ford's is the Motorcraft Semi-Syn.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti

I made the switch at 1000 on a 2007 Fusion and 2008 Escape. I went to 5 K on the odometer for the next change and change every 5 K. I switched in an F150 at 85K. No leaks in the older (2001) truck and it is at 95 K now. 35K on the Fusion and 15 K on the Escape, but what problems should I have on new vehicles? I like the PP, and it went black quick on the first change in the Escape, but has not done so since. Some type of assembly additive?

congrats on the new car, and good luck!

What size motor in each vehicle?

I dropped the FF out of mom's 09 escape (2.5L) at 8000km the OLM said 36% remaining but she lets warm up for 10+min you could smell the fuel on the dipstick!

I've been pretty good about changing early in a new car or new engine (read: rebuilt)...there are a lot of burrs and sharp edges that get worn off, not to mention dirt from the fresh casting (they never get it all). The "golden particle" comment is very true...I saw that in a newly rebuilt 440CI chrysler once. Not to mention the fact the oil is really stressed because everything is tight...again, I have seen PZ 10w30 with 500 miles drain with the consistency of water (cold).

I intend to change the oil in my Subaru next week...probably go the first change after that before I change the differentials.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back