Who has changed a fuel filter to fix a problem, successfully

I changed many Q-Jet in-carb mini filters. They made slim wrenches to hold the lock nut.
If your vehicle cut out under load, this was the 1st thing to check.
Been there a few times with those bronze filters, or whatever they were made from.

Worst I had, being an Allis Chalmers tech back around 1980 or so. Farm sale that afternoon, sub-zero temperature. Called out to get a 185 diesel tractor running. Fuel tank was located in front of the operator's station. Cap on top and a straight look down into the tank. Fuel looked pretty thick.

I stuck a pry bar down into the fuel and pulled it out. I could see the hole from the bar after it was out. Kind of like you stuck it into a jar of jelly. Worst case of jelled diesel fuel I ever encountered. Filters were all plugged too, being the most restrictive part of the system.

Had to get a tank truck out and water the diesel down with kerosene. Space heater blowing on tank, fuel lines, injector pump, etc.
Then getting your hands wet with fuel at -10F. Many trips to pickup truck to get warmed up. But we got it running.

Been there a few times with those bronze filters, or whatever they were made from.

Worst I had, being an Allis Chalmers tech back around 1980 or so. Farm sale that afternoon, sub-zero temperature. Called out to get a 185 diesel tractor running. Fuel tank was located in front of the operator's station. Cap on top and a straight look down into the tank. Fuel looked pretty thick.

I stuck a pry bar down into the fuel and pulled it out. I could see the hole from the bar after it was out. Kind of like you stuck it into a jar of jelly. Worst case of jelled diesel fuel I ever encountered. Filters were all plugged too, being the most restrictive part of the system.

Had to get a tank truck out and water the diesel down with kerosene. Space heater blowing on tank, fuel lines, injector pump, etc.
Then getting your hands wet with fuel at -10F. Many trips to pickup truck to get warmed up. But we got it running.
The bronze filters restricted flow; not good on a big block Chevy or thirsty Pontiac 400.
I love Quadra-Junks! I am running one on my 68 L36 Vette and 65 4-4-2. The 4-4-2 had a 4-Jet in 65, in 66 it went to the QJ.
Edelbrock made some good aftermarket copies including an 850 CFM model.

I ran out of oil this winter because stupid. Tried to use my small diesel can that I kept in the garage for situations just like this one. I could not get a single trace of it out the spout. Set there for a few wondering why because I had literally forgot about the cold.. I felt like such a moron leaving an emergency 5 gallon tank out in the cold. Moron.

The bronze filters restricted flow; not good on a big block Chevy or thirsty Pontiac 400.
I love Quadra-Junks! I am running one on my 68 L36 Vette and 65 4-4-2. The 4-4-2 had a 4-Jet in 65, in 66 it went to the QJ.
Edelbrock made some good aftermarket copies including an 850 CFM model.
Personally, I'll take a Q-jet over a Holley any day. I could always make them run, and the sounds were a plus when the big bad back throttles opened. Any Holley I had, was destined to be rebuilt every year or two. Only thing they had on a Q-jet, in my book, was the float level was easy to set. If you can tune them, Q-jet is hard to beat in my book.

I ran out of oil this winter because stupid. Tried to use my small diesel can that I kept in the garage for situations just like this one. I could not get a single trace of it out the spout. Set there for a few wondering why because I had literally forgot about the cold.. I felt like such a moron leaving an emergency 5 gallon tank out in the cold. Moron.
#2 diesel sucks in cold weather! :confused:

I have a couple of old 80s mazda RX7's with fuel filters that barely flow enough for the car. I have to change them out every 6 months regardless of miles, or the cars will start to bog down on hard acceleration or even cut off if I rev out through 2nd and 3rd gear back to back.

Most will never have a problem with a gas filter. All it takes is one bad tank of gas to trash even a brand new gas filter.

Plugged bronze filter in a Q jet or even a 2 bbl. Rochester the solution was remove it and put an inline filter in back then.
We never replaced gas tanks back then unless they were leaking.
At least it could be temp. cleaned on the side of the road to get you home.
I also liked the Q jet and AFB. If you knew carbs you could get them to work just fine.

Personally, I'll take a Q-jet over a Holley any day. I could always make them run, and the sounds were a plus when the big bad back throttles opened. Any Holley I had, was destined to be rebuilt every year or two. Only thing they had on a Q-jet, in my book, was the float level was easy to set. If you can tune them, Q-jet is hard to beat in my book.
Holley carbs are fuel dumpers; they are great for WOT. The Q-Jet is a much more precise fuel metering design so it is a better driving carb.
But few people know how to properly rebuild them and good cores are drying up.

Most will never have a problem with a gas filter. All it takes is one bad tank of gas to trash even a brand new gas filter.
Ah a question for the group about a bad tank of gas, and the causes of.

I ask because I just remembered I found water in my tank when I dropped it to do the pump. While emptying the tank I sucked out maybe 5 gallons of gas, and about three quarts of water. The only way it could have gotten in was by fueling.

The Dakota had 170k miles at the time, and was 9 years old. PO was my close friend, never dunked the tank by launching a boat or from a stream, or any other possible cause besides fuel.

Is that an average amount for a car with that many miles?

If not, was I extremely lucky to not get any in the fuel line?

Does every car build up water over time? If so, does dry gas actually get rid of it?

Roughly 15 years ago a friend of mine had an 85-86 Toyota Sr5 Pickup. He called me from his job a few miles away and said it will start but then die. I changed the fuel filter in the parking lot and problem solved.

1980 - Gord, one of my roomies, had his '74 Impala sputter and die. That little bronze mesh filter (I'm not describing it well) at the inlet of the Rochester carb had plugged up.

A lot of us with that setup on small-block Chevys added a larger inline filter upstream of the carb.

Back