Who has a Cold Air Intake installed? Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that my mom's escape basically draws directly from where the hood meets the grill, in which water mist/spray should get sucked up as well. Would it be any different from a CAI?

Im not worried, but observation in general. Did ford do something special as they are drawing right from the front of the vehicle versus somewhere in the engine bay?

Here is the picture link:

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/ford_escape_xls_fwd_manual_2009_other_engine.jpg

Last edited:
That's common practice. My Buick draws from behind the driver's headlight, which is mere inches away from the grille. Still in the engine bay, but shielded. Hyundai Elantras draw air from just under the hood, too.

A lot of stories I read about these cold air intakes say they tend to cut your gas mileage. Possibly because with the extra HP, perceived or real, you're romping on the gas pedal.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
That's common practice. My Buick draws from behind the driver's headlight, which is mere inches away from the grille. Still in the engine bay, but shielded. Hyundai Elantras draw air from just under the hood, too.

My Neon just draws air from the back of the engine bay and sees around a 70 to 80F increase in air temps at the air intake temp sensor vs the ambient air temp. So it makes sense to try some sort of CAI on my car to increase hp. There is some evidence though that people actually get better mileage after increasing the air intake temperature on some cars. So for now I'm just leaving it alone.
Cars like your Buick already draw in outside air so there's no point in installing a CAI. Also many cars heat the intake manifold with coolant anyways so I don't think it matters too much if you use a CAI on them or not.

I know it's going to be different depending on the car, but in the case of my Corvette I saw a pretty significant difference in performance. My car only has two modifications, custom tuning and that Vararam cold air intake. Before the intake my best ET was 13.18 at 106 mph. After the intake it dropped down to 12.81 at 109.4! And the weather conditions on my 13.18 run were actually better (300 foot lower density altitude) so if I had identical conditions to run in my 12.81 could've been as good as a 12.78. So I picked up 4 tenths of a second in the quarter mile and over 3 mph in trap speed. That's a difference you can feel, and it also gave me a massive improvement in throttle response and low to mid range torque too.

Gas mileage stayed the same after the swap, it didn't go up or down.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Was it enclosed at all with splash shields or was it pretty exposed in the engine?

On the Neon, it was isolated from the engine bay. The CAI filter was mounted in front fender well. It was shielded on the sides, but open at the bottom. Just don't drive through flooded areas, and you should be fine. You might also want to turn your engine off while going into car washes (underbelly).

Gas mileage increased for me (1- 1.5 mpg mixed city). I never ran it at a track, but it definately helped top end. You would get an extra surge around 4000 rpms on up. I noticed quite a difference when I went back to stock before trading it in.

Like Patman state, every application will be different.

Last edited:
Sounds great, appreciate all the information! I can hope in my case I can increase my mileage by at least 1mpg, but I am not expecting anything to be honest. It would be nice though since I put on my summer wheels which are a tad heavier then stock, I lost a little bit of mileage because of it. Regaining what I lost would be great!
grin2.gif

After I got back from driving around for well over an hour I popped the hood to get an idea of the ambient temps in the engine bay. Under the hood was quite hot as you could imagine, and where the stock intake is was a tad cooler. However, where the CAI will be was even cooler then where the stock intake is. So when driving it really should intake air that is quite cooler then what it is now.
11.gif

Keep the opinions/reviews coming!

Last edited:
Thing is, this was not for any company or anything, just this person or whatever doing modifications and recording any changes. It was not through AEM or anything, just something I stumbled across.

They may say that but usually when a "person" comes up with results like this to turn into the intake company they are actually a shop that sells those intake parts.

Well it was a magazine that did the testing, import tuner. I linked it above.

All the more reason to suspect they did the usual bunch of runs and picked the highest deviation.

I'm not sure where the stock intake is on an xB (if it's in the thread then I missed it). On my Civic the intake is close to the driver's side headlight, but within the engine bay. I don't think it counts as a CAI -- I think CAI kits for my engine tend to put the intake down behind one of the fog light grille's. Any any rate, I usually measure about 15 deg F difference between ambient and intake air, based on my dash ambient temp display and the IAT reading on my scangauge.

Just FYI. Not sure how much a difference 15 degrees makes but it seems fairly significant.

On the xB it is behind the drivers side headlight as well. Probably 3-4" behind it. The CAI basically drops vertically down a good 12"-15" or so from the stock inlet tube now, behind the front fender.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Personally unless your running a modded car a CAI does nothing. Untuned it really does nothing, might increase the mpg a little. On my Jeep I installed a 2.5 inch catback and a K&N filter. Gas mileage went from 17 mpg to 19 mpg. Hand calculated over a 2400 mile trip. Recently I've been getting 20 mpg. But I give the credit to summer blend gas.

Most of the time unless you're running a Speed Density system, there is No Tuning needed. I like my CIA because it draws in cold air from the grille (not from the little area behind the headlight), makes a nice tool tray, Looks cool, and is LOUD as [censored] :) It's now sporting an Amsoil EA filter too :) (08 Summer Pic)

carsho8us2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Buffman
Personally unless your running a modded car a CAI does nothing. Untuned it really does nothing, might increase the mpg a little. On my Jeep I installed a 2.5 inch catback and a K&N filter. Gas mileage went from 17 mpg to 19 mpg. Hand calculated over a 2400 mile trip. Recently I've been getting 20 mpg. But I give the credit to summer blend gas.

Most of the time unless you're running a Speed Density system, there is No Tuning needed. I like my CIA because it draws in cold air from the grille (not from the little area behind the headlight), makes a nice tool tray, Looks cool, and is LOUD as [censored] :) It's now sporting an Amsoil EA filter too :) (08 Summer Pic)

carsho8us2.jpg

Speed Density only requires tuning if you've made a cam or injector change. A CAI would do nothing to confuse it.

On the xB it is behind the drivers side headlight as well. Probably 3-4" behind it. The CAI basically drops vertically down a good 12"-15" or so from the stock inlet tube now, behind the front fender.

Sounds like essentially the same setup as the Civic, then.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

carsho8us2.jpg

Speed Density only requires tuning if you've made a cam or injector change. A CAI would do nothing to confuse it.

I've been told on some older systems with speed density, exhaust and intake changes require tuning.

Had one on the 97 V6 Camaro. Twin cone filters. When the engine was cold, you could hear the air getting sucked in. It was loud.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

carsho8us2.jpg

I've been told on some older systems with speed density, exhaust and intake changes require tuning.

If you think how the system works (MAP sensor) the only thing that is going to affect vaccum (how it determines fuel delivery) is going to be a cam swap.

Injector size changing, or forced induction are other obvious reasons to require tuning.

I had a massive CAI and full exhaust on my '87 GT. Converted it to MAF when I did heads/cam/intake because it was necessary. If I had left the stock HO cam, or had gone with a cam that had an SD-friendly profile, I would not have had to convert it.

SD is more adaptive than many give it credit for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back