Who has 200k + on original GM rwd 4spd auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to hear from all GM owners with a rwd 4 speed auto that have 200,000 miles or more on the original transmission. Just wondering how many are out there. Thanks

Nice. I thought I was pushing my luck with a 2006 Buick Rainier @ 207k. How have you serviced the fluids in these transmissions?

I had 204k on my '05 Colorado. Changed the fluid at about 60k, then at about 170k the gasket on the pan started to leak; replaced the gasket, fluid, and filter. I sold it to my BIL in March, he reported at Christmas that it's still going strong!

Originally Posted by Ammofirst
How have you serviced the fluids in these transmissions?

I do either a trans flush or a pan drop every 50K. I alternate, do a pan drop at 50K, then flush at 100K, and so on. Usually my fluid is still quite red. I drive an average style with occasional light towing.

I don't own the vehicles anymore but I had two that made it that far with zero issues - 2 x 4LE60

2002 astro. 214,000 when the Joplin tornado ate it. Towed 2k weight boat 15X year, and towed my buddies windstar back from New Orleans 2 times thru the Ozarks 2 times. It did get ever 2 years fluid changes using Valvoline. I would still be driving it except for that gosh darn tornado.

Rod

97 Suburban with a 4L60E... at a bit over 210k it started having problems. Some Bars Transmission Fix solved that until like 10K miles later my friend threw a rod by abusing it and it ended up impounded since he left it in the middle of the street.

Now I have a 95 1500, also with a 4L60E, I have no idea if it's original, since 277K is rare.

Originally Posted by dadto2
I had 204k on my '05 Colorado. Changed the fluid at about 60k, then at about 170k the gasket on the pan started to leak; replaced the gasket, fluid, and filter. I sold it to my BIL in March, he reported at Christmas that it's still going strong!

I traded my '05 Colorado with 185k miles on it. Did 40-50k mile trans fluid / filter changes since new (drain and fill - no flushing). The transmission worked perfectly when I traded it - shifted like new, no leaks. 4L60E

Last edited:
91 Firebird with the 305 and 700R4. It probably had 200k, but the odometer only worked intermittently and said around 150k, but it had to be at least 200k

My 95 Tahoe had 230K on it when the head gasket blew in Nov 2016, both engine and transmission were original. Would have fixed it if the entire back end of the truck was more than just a pile of rust. Decided against fixing it and got a new truck instead.

My brother has a 97 K1500 with that on it now as well. Original engine and transmission, still going strong, although its definitely rusty too. Midwest winters are hard on vehicles that sit outside all the time.

It seems with 700R4 / 4L60s, the will either run forever or they won't go 50K miles.

I have some relatives that had them in 90s and 00s GM trucks that ran 300K on the original transmission.

My 2005 5.3 4L60E just rolled over 202,000 miles today. I've done several siphon and fills on mine using Walmart ST Dexron and it still shifts fine. The pan has never been off.

My 1993 GMC rez truck has 374,000km so that's about 233,000 miles. As far as I know the 4L60E is original. Not sure what, if any work was done to it prior to me buying it but as far as I could find out it was really untouched.

It was slipping and shifting like garbage so I did a fluid exchange with basic Dex 3 and it runs really good now.

FIL has a 2004 1 ton Express van full of tools, with a ladder rack, 12 MPG, 6.0, whatever trans they put behind it, and 300k.

These are trucks at work...

2004 Silverado 1500 5.3L 2WD - Went a little over 415K miles before it started slipping bad, replaced with low mileage used one. I know it was definitely original because the truck was purchased new.

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L 2WD - I can't remember exactly when it was replaced, but I think around 320K miles, again with a low mileage used one. It was having some harsh/sloppy shifts, but probably could have gone a little while longer. It was most likely the original transmission, the truck was purchased with something like 80K on it.

2006 Silverado 1500 4.3L 2WD - I think the last time I drove this truck it had something like 425K miles, and I believe the transmission is original. It was also purchased with low miles (probably less than 50K)

2002 Silverado 1500 4.3L 2WD - Right around 200K miles, the truck was purchased with less than 100K about 4 years ago, so it may or may not be original.

No maintenance routine for the transmissions, they typically get a fluid change when they get a new used trans. Little to no heavy loads and infrequent light towing. They are in town delivery trucks...mostly easy, but constant driving.

Last edited:
one old dawg still in our fleet, 2006 GMC Savana 3500 6.0 gas engine with a 4L80E transmission. 217 k miles, never been under 8500k pounds in its entire life!

The 4L60 has an undeserved bad reputation. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

I have a feeling those who criticize it just hate GM trucks. I'm not saying it's perfect, I've seen more than a few trucks with a smoked 4L60. It's definitely not as durable as the SBC/LS in front of it, but it's not a bad trans.

Being in a lot of work trucks means they get abused and live short lives. I'm not sure what cars had a 4L60 during the 90s, other than Caprice/Impalas and the 4th gen F body.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
The 4L60 has an undeserved bad reputation. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

I have a feeling those who criticize it just hate GM trucks. I'm not saying it's perfect, I've seen more than a few trucks with a smoked 4L60. It's definitely not as durable as the SBC/LS in front of it, but it's not a bad trans.

Being in a lot of work trucks means they get abused and live short lives. I'm not sure what cars had a 4L60 during the 90s, other than Caprice/Impalas and the 4th gen F body.

I do believe that any V8 GM with a 4L60 should have got a 4L80. 3 out of 4 4L60s I've had problems with were behind V8s... And I'm not a GM hater, check my signature
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ammofirst
Would like to hear from all GM owners with a rwd 4 speed auto that have 200,000 miles or more on the original transmission. Just wondering how many are out there. Thanks

More lasted to 200,000 than ones that didn't, Seeing how we are lumping the HD & LD units together......

There were MANY updates to the 4L60E......The 2005 & up being the best ones Are easily making it to 250,000. I did a "Bench" job on a 2006 4L60E from behind a 4.8L a couple weeks ago that had a little over 460,000 on it. The unit was completely worn out & wasn't rebuildable.....But goes to show what this unit is capable of in the right circumstances.
The Torrington bearing under the Input Carrier is what gave-up; The 3-4 clutches were very loose & had heavy drive tang/tab wear, The Sunshell splines were "knife edged" & about to give-up".

4L80E's can go for who knows how long with proper service, It's usually a leak/low fluid level that gets the real high mileage ones.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back