Who has 200K+ and what oil and maintenance did you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
StevieC said:
CROWNVIC4LIFE said:
Huh??? Maybe the 350 was a good engine; but NOT the 305. It was a horrible engine, seen nothing but problems with them. The Old 307 was a better engine in that size, heck, the 267 was better!

My experience was the opposite. Sold my 305 caprice with 212K miles and another member, c3po, has 367K on his original 305 El Camino.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The 350 was a better engine than the 305. JMO

I would say they are both good engines, I would choose the 350 over the 305 though.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The 350 was a better engine than the 305. JMO

Yes the 350 is a better engine than the 305, but you better have some extra money for gas.

The stock Target Master 350 is rated at 210 horsepower, add headers and you have 260 horsepower.

I followed a Car Craft Magazine article on hopping up a 305, and I did these things:

1) Stock 145 HP
2) Headers and Dual Exhaust 197 HP
3) Intake Manifold to a Edelbrock 2101, 216 HP
4) I then went with an electric fan and took off the smog pump belt and the A/C, so no A/C belt
5) Better Harmonic Balancer
6) Better HEI
7) Oil Pan with trap door baffle, oil pump baffle, windage tray, crankshaft scraper.

I will say that I might have 225 HP, demarpaint knoes a few other secrets that I have done on this motor.

One day a 350 with aluminum heads will be going into this car.

Last edited:
The 350 is a better performing engine but as some previous posters said, most of the parts were identical. The 305 all others things being equal, will last longer than the 350 because less bore and less hp puts less stress on the bottom end (IMO). There are a lot of high mileage 350's out there but even more 305's.

I bet a lot of the highest mileage engines out there were not even known how many miles were on them. Since they didn't start putting the extra digit on the odometer until 1991 on U.S cars and mid 80's on Canadian cars, and never on the G bodies a lot of cars are out there for sale as low mileage cars when they probably are not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Huh??? Maybe the 350 was a good engine; but NOT the 305. It was a horrible engine, seen nothing but problems with them. The Old 307 was a better engine in that size, heck, the 267 was better!

I also disagree on this one. I have owned several 305's and while not powerhouses, they get good mileage and last a long time. Compared to the 307 Olds, the 305 Chev has more power, gets better fuel economy and is more durable (I have owned both, I am not a fan of the 307). I take a 305 Chev any day over a 307 Olds.

As far as 350 vs 305 for durability, both are good in my opinion. There may seem to be more 305's out there simply because there were way more 305's made during the 1980's the 350 (most cars didn't have the 350 as an option, other than the police Caprice/Impala, Camaro and Corvette).

I have seen three 350 Chev's with 750K kms on them (Caprice wagon, Cadillac Limo and Chev Express Van). These vehicles were the highest mileage vehicles I have ever seen personally.

I've never kept a car long enough to put up that kind of mileage at my 15K a year average. I have seen a co-worker with 200K+ on an old 89' Corolla which used QS dino for the most part.
I also have a co-worker with 180K on an 01' Neon with 3 to 5K dealer oil changes. My 02' Buick 3.1 has 107K and feels like 250K is doable if I don't get tired of it sooner. It is a credit to GM even though I changed out the LIM gasket at approx. 70K as a preventive measure. The A/T had a Mobil 1 change at 36K and again at 90K. It feels like new.

Your post just solidified (is that even a word?
wink.gif
) my intent to go with SOPUS oils only now. QS I have looked up (good numbers) and the people I thought I knew years ago were down on any oil except Valaoline. Funny thing is I drive by their shop now and then and they are using Pennzoil now. I guess greed knows no bounds. I never have set foot in that shop again except once four years ago. Never will again.

I'll post my dad's truck:

2000 Chevy S10 5-speed 4cyl - 224k

Had to replace the clutch once. Besides that nothing but oil changes, tires, and one (lol) air filter change.

Spark plugs and all fluids are the same from day one (he's stubborn).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back