Who has 200K+ and what oil and maintenance did you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: justchangeit
I have 514,192 Mi on my 4 cylinder 1994 Camry.
No major problems.
Just wear items
2 water pumps/timing belts (non interfearing valves)
4 struts/1 coil/original disk and drums/1 driver door handle/1 window passanger cable & motor /riginal Air condition Just wear items.
mostly High Way miles 400K 70-75MPH
every 3-3.5k first 300K Best advice check-it and change-it.
now every 6K with an additive of STP, High Max, every 3rd change
I can't send any photo's I wont let Toyota adjust the valves, they have been wanting to since 200K.

shocked2.gif

Aren't you the spokesperson for Toyota reliability! hahaha
LOL.gif

No joke, that's a lot of miles! Good job.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

88 Lincolon Town Car...Sold it at 240K miles. Only major things were leaky valve cover gaskets and O rings... Oil changed every 3-5K miles using only Dino 10w30 and sometimes 10w40...OCI was every 3-5K miles... One time I used 20w50 and the car sounded like a broken washing machine at start in the am..Took that out quick.

All cars had their 30K service every 30K miles till we sold them.

Memories.... I had an 88' Towncar, it was an awesome vehicle. Sold it with 190K miles when the original tranny started slipping(fluid had been dark for many miles and smelled bad).

Miss that car though, it was always good to me. The funny thing was, I saw it a few weeks later broken down. The lady said the trans went. She didn't bother getting it, so the tow yard owns it
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike

88 Lincolon Town Car...Sold it at 240K miles. Only major things were leaky valve cover gaskets and O rings... Oil changed every 3-5K miles using only Dino 10w30 and sometimes 10w40...OCI was every 3-5K miles... One time I used 20w50 and the car sounded like a broken washing machine at start in the am..Took that out quick.

Memories.... I had an 88' Towncar, it was an awesome vehicle. Sold it with 190K miles when the original tranny started slipping(fluid had been dark for many miles and smelled bad).

Miss that car though, it was always good to me. The funny thing was, I saw it a few weeks later broken down. The lady said the trans went. She didn't bother getting it, so the tow yard owns it
frown.gif

Buy it from the tow yard, stick a new trans in it and keep the story rolling...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1

frown.gif

Buy it from the tow yard, stick a new trans in it and keep the story rolling...
grin2.gif

I wish, but this was about 4 years ago. If they still have the car, it's probably a shell now.

I don't understand why people, like the person who bought your car doesn't work out the cost per mile to drive the vehicle.

Then they would see that a transmission would be cheaper than a new vehicle, or even a used one for that matter...

smirk2.gif
I guess I will retire rich!
grin2.gif

My current winter beater is an 89 Caprice Classic with the original 305 TBI, it has 305K miles on it. I'm the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner had it for at least 6 years IIRC, she bought it from a family member. She ran nothing but the dealership dino oil changed every 3-4k miles since maybe 250k miles. The first owner put most of the miles on the car and I don't know what he did as far as maintenance goes, but probably regular oil changed regularly.

The car doesn't use any oil or leak excessively yet, and cannot hear any engine noise even on cold startup. It just keeps going and going.

Speaking of $/mile the lady I bought the car from paid $1000 for it when she got it and put around 55k miles on it then sold it to me for $400 when the trans failed cause it was leaking and she let it run low on fluid for over a week until it lost reverse.

While she had it, besides regular maintenance it needed an alternator, a rad, gas tank and exhaust. That was it. That's pretty cheap driving.

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
My current winter beater is an 89 Caprice Classic with the original 305 TBI, it has 305K miles on it. I'm the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner had it for at least 6 years IIRC, she bought it from a family member. She ran nothing but the dealership dino oil changed every 3-4k miles since maybe 250k miles. The first owner put most of the miles on the car and I don't know what he did as far as maintenance goes, but probably regular oil changed regularly.

The car doesn't use any oil or leak excessively yet, and cannot hear any engine noise even on cold startup. It just keeps going and going.

I had a Caprice as well. 78' w/ 305, carbed. Sold it with 212K miles, still running great. Dino oil only. I bought that car for 400.00 and drove it for around 20K miles. Sold it for 600.00. I had it painted(300.00) and put in a stereo(already had it), only repairs were brake pads, tune up, and rebuilt carb. I would say that investment paid off nicely.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv

I had a Caprice as well. 78' w/ 305, carbed. Sold it with 212K miles, still running great. Dino oil only. I bought that car for 400.00 and drove it for around 20K miles. Sold it for 600.00. I had it painted(300.00) and put in a stereo(already had it), only repairs were brake pads, tune up, and rebuilt carb. I would say that investment paid off nicely.
thumbsup2.gif

The 305 was one of the best engines General Motors ever made..I bought a brand new 79 Caprice off the showroom floor..I kept it 4 years and 190K miles and it gave me zero problems..All I did was give it regular maintenance and maybe 1 tuneup..It was 90% highway driving...It never used any oil [dino] and as I recall changed the oil every 4K miles...The A/C was still pumping out ice cold air when I sold it...That A/C could have cooled off a 7 room house...The only reason I sold it was because I wanted a Caddy Coupe De Ville.

My boss at the time had a 77 Caprice and he put on over 250K miles on his..The 77-79 Caprice was one of the best cars ever.

The 305 was one of the best engines General Motors ever made..I bought a brand new 79 Caprice off the showroom floor..I kept it 4 years and 190K miles and it gave me zero problems..All I did was give it regular maintenance and maybe 1 tuneup..It was 90% highway driving...It never used any oil [dino] and as I recall changed the oil every 4K miles...The A/C was still pumping out ice cold air when I sold it...That A/C could have cooled off a 7 room house...The only reason I sold it was because I wanted a Caddy Coupe De Ville.

My boss at the time had a 77 Caprice and he put on over 250K miles on his..The 77-79 Caprice was one of the best cars ever.

If GM could only duplicate these great running, very durable products today they might not be in the situation they're in.
wink.gif

I'm in a 96 BMW 318i that belonged to my sister since new. After her warranty, she used a shop that had her come in at 4~5k intervals. Dino only, Valvoline.

Car now as 195,600 miles. I've logged about 30k of these miles.

I've thrown everything in the car since I've had it from 15w40 (Rotella, Delo, MC) to Rotella 10w-30 to Valvoline 5w-40 to GC 0-w30 with an average of 5k OCIs.

Bullet proof.

1991 Lexus LS400, 231K:
3K/5K OCIs on dino/synthetic, OEM or Wix filter - my engine has seen PP, M1, GTX, Valvoline, Chevron and Havoline
Once-yearly coolant changes
ATF changed every 2nd OCI
timing belt every 100K
Spark plugs at the 60-70K range
Valves were adjusted at 210K, did a front suspension "rebuild" at 200K.

1996 Nissan Quest, 216K
It saw Red Line or M1 earlier in life, 7K OCIs with Wix or OEM. When I redid the valve covers, the innards were sparkling clean, not bit of sludge and some varnish. Now I'm running dino with 3K OCIs on whatever filter I can get cheaply that isn't a Fram - Mahle at the moment.

I have a 96 Tacoma with 176K on it. Original clutch and rear brakes. New shocks, one timing belt and water pump. 30K all fluid changes (diff, transfer, trans, brake, coolant). 3-5K oil changes first 80K, then 7-8K sythetic and 5K dino (whatever I have) 5-30. Doesn't use any oil.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
89 Mazda 626 turbo. Dealer oil (20W50?) till 120,000 kms then 25W70 for 5-6 years now PAO 5W40.

Hey Sprintman,

Is 25w70 popular in Australia? I've never seen it here in the U.S.(in stores).

I forgot one family vehicle as well. My brother's father in law owns a 96' Dodge Ram 1500 w/ the 5.9. It has 300K miles on the original drivetrain (yes, even the usually garbage Dodge tranny). His maintenance includes regular dino 3-5K and occasional tranny services.

I have a 1986 Toyota pickup with 301,000 miles. For first 20,000 miles, Castrol 20W-50, next 20,000 miles, Castrol Syntec 5W-50, next 260,000 miles Mobil 1 15W-50. I use Amsoil gear lube in the manual transmission and rear axle, and Wix filters. Truck had to have a new right rear wheel bearing at around 100,000 miles because of a gross overload, new Monroe heavy duty shocks at 100,000 miles(still on truck), and a new voltage regulator. Everything else, even clutch is original.

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier. Turned over 210,000 miles Sunday. It got Mobil 1 15W-50 the day it came home from the dealer. Full synthetic transmission fluid and Wix engine oil and transmission filters. No repairs or problems with engine or auto transmission. I had to replace the voltage regulator.

I change engine oil and filter at 3000 to 3500 miles. I change the manual gear box lube at AROUND 25,000 miles, automatic transmission fluid and filter at AROUND 25,000 miles, and rear axle lube at AROUND 25,000 miles, and I grease about every other oil change.

I use Armor All on the CV joint boots, rubber hoses, and door seals. I use S1000 corrosion protection on engine and alternator, AC pump, and such. This is a product used to keep motorcycle engines shining, looking new.

If GM could only duplicate these great running, very durable products today they might not be in the situation they're in.
wink.gif

Huh??? Maybe the 350 was a good engine; but NOT the 305. It was a horrible engine, seen nothing but problems with them. The Old 307 was a better engine in that size, heck, the 267 was better!

Originally Posted By: addyguy

wink.gif

Huh??? Maybe the 350 was a good engine; but NOT the 305. It was a horrible engine, seen nothing but problems with them. The Old 307 was a better engine in that size, heck, the 267 was better!

To my knowledge the only difference between the 350 and 305 was the bore size. They took the same rods, crank, intake, oil pump, distributor..etc and other parts. And while you could bolt 305 heads on a 350 (and some did with the "305HO" heads, which were a joke to raise compression), the larger valve size of many 350 heads meant that with the reduced bore size on the 305, that you could not do it the other way around.

Given the above, I cannot see there being any real difference in reliability between the two. The 305 was never a performance star, and lacked any real potential to be one because of the inability to run heads with larger valves. This essentially relegated it to truck and low performance use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back