Who had their "Kodachrome" taken away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have a Nikon camera...and I like to take photographs...and they did take my Kodachrome away...as well as the processing pretty much....and though I have a real good digital pro camera...Kodachrome being gone left a big gap!

Now in the word of lubricants...I find this has happened to me as well. I have a pair of Mercury HP 525's and always used M-1 Red Cap. Well the stash is gone...switched to M-1 V-Twin 20W-50. It's excellent. UOA's with Goldcap and Silver cap are not on the same level as Redcap was. It's fact.

My "Kodachrome is MIA"

...anyone missing a synthetic that has been changed or taken off the market?

I hear redcap was a legendary oil. Too bad they quit making it. I`d still be using gold cap 15W50 if they still made it. Seemed to be a "smoother" oil over the silver cap.

Last edited:
I cannot comment on synthetics but I can comment on Kodachrome. Probably the greatest film of all time. Archival qualities that are superb. I have 6 rolls to use up and send to the last remaining Kodachrome lab on the planet (Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, KA) by nor later than 12/31/10. After that, there will be no one to process the film. I too am involved in digital but for the serious stuff I have moved back to film based photography.

When I started using the Mobil Clean 5000 5w30 they stopped stocking it no matter where I looked for it at.

Now that I use Pennzoil regular and Quaker State regular 5w30 the M.C. 5000 is EVERYWHERE.
smirk2.gif
mad.gif

Kodachro-oh-ome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away . . .

Great song. Paul Simon made some GREAT music.....

My 'Kodachrome'? Inexpensive Havoline at WM. $1.98/quart, 5W-30 and 10W-30. Now it's only sold at one store in town, and it's $3.99/quart.

Should this thread be locked?

Why? Because if you spend more time talking about photographic film than you do the film strength of oil, you're not serious about the topic.

'Nuf said.

Last edited:
The problem with Kodachrome (K14)...
- If you didn't let the film mature, it had a somewhat green cast to it.
- Once Kodak let other (non-Kodak) labs start processing Kodachrome, color quality and archival longevity went downhill. There were too many labs that did a poor job of the K14 process.

I was always an E6 guy (mostly Ektachrome 64) and most labs had that process nailed down so the results were consistant and excellant.

Originally Posted By: Pete591

Yeah ! Green GC.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

Yeah ! Green GC.

I have not recently read up on GC 0w-30 Green vs GC Gold 0W-30 both made in Germany. Has UOA's been shown to be differing?

Is the gold decent?

Gold/ Green GC is different. How much? Dunno. I'm still happy with my aging 22 remaining green quarts.
Liked the Kodachrome 25 but didn't stock up on that.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

Yeah ! Green GC.

I have not recently read up on GC 0w-30 Green vs GC Gold 0W-30 both made in Germany. Has UOA's been shown to be differing?

Is the gold decent?

Both are very good. Gold seems to have less calcium and more magnesium as detergent than Green...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back