Who had no problems with dino 5wXX in the cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
about 5F here; No issues with the 5W-20 on a 11 yo battery.

Would be running a 0w-20, but I hear a 0W is too thin @ startup. I kid of course.

Last edited:
It's important to emphasize that wind chill is a "living" phenomenon, experienced only by biologically-living organisms. Inanimate objects, such as your car, will only cool to the temperature read on the thermometer. Blowing wind will only allow these objects to cool more quickly.

That is, whatever temperature you read on your thermometer, that is the temperature your car was starting in, such as -9 degrees Fahrenheit this morning for me.

Any popular 5w oil, dino or syn, should be able to handle such low temperatures.

Not really a "Dino" but my Kendall fed 2012 Accent fired right up in our sweltering 43 degree weather this morning. Absolutely no oddities. Kendall SN 5w-20 semi synthetic.

The Crown Vic started right up after sitting all night in 15 degree temps with Mobil 1 5w-20 EP in the engine and a motorcraft filter. I know the OP wanted dino input, but I just had to post!

No problem starting the Jeep with temps in the low single digits after sitting for a couple days with 5W-40 in the crankcase. Hasn't been driven since yesterday and I expect it'll fire right up tomorrow morning (already down to 5* F outside and supposed to drop a little further overnight).

Originally Posted By: ram_man
-12 withn-25 wind chill and 10w30 maxlife fired right up with no odd noises

Windchill is meaningless to a machine. It does nothing more than chill the machine to ambient faster,unless its wet

Quote:

That is, whatever temperature you read on your thermometer, that is the temperature your car was starting in, such as -9 degrees Fahrenheit this morning for me.

Unless, of course, it was 10am and the overnight lows were -25; then good chance your block is a bit below -9F; most of us are up b4 the sunrise, so my snarky comments don't apply....

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
No problem starting the Jeep with temps in the low single digits after sitting for a couple days with 5W-40 in the crankcase. Hasn't been driven since yesterday and I expect it'll fire right up tomorrow morning (already down to 5* F outside and supposed to drop a little further overnight).

That's not cold. If it doesn't start scrap the piece of junk.

Just be careful on the AM start-up. I had 3 feral cats sleeping under the hood to escape the cold. Just give a bang on the hood before you start your engines.

Last two days have been -18 and -15 at 5:30 am when I leave. Both times truck has turned over just fine with the MS5K 5w30 in it. Wifes car is parked in the garage so that's been just fine.

I can't participate in this thread I don't use mineral based products in this crankcase but my ps system didn't make any odd noises yesterday it was about -11F. I've always wanted to replace this regular Prestone psf with Gm cold climate formula or something with better basestocks.

It was -13 degrees f in the chicago area on monday and my 187,000 mile 1997 nissan quest with PYB 10w30 and Fram Tg oil filter started up ok with a little lifter clatter that went away in a few seconds. Plus start JCI battery is 2 years old and didn't complain at all.

15 degrees... optima redtop...20w50. Barely had to blip the starter.

The auto trans however took maybe a half a second to start moving in the cold. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back