Who even breaks into old cars?

My cousin has a 2000 Mazda B2500. It broke down today, and we figured we would take a look at it and probably tow it to the hole in the wall I usually use. When we got out to the truck, the hood was up and the battery gone. The truck had been rummaged through as well. Makes me sick, it was obviously someone's work truck, not that it would be okay otherwise, but that's extra messed up. Just had to share because it really made me feel some type of way.

The amount of addicts in this country is unbelievable. Just imagine 100k die a year from OD and its not even noticeable. I had someone rummage through my old Toyota pickup. Kind of embarrassing that they didn't take anything. Apparently the old Top Gun soundtrack CD is not desirable to pill heads.

Crack or Meth head needing drug money.

Its sad and very unfortunate people do this kind of stuff.

Years ago I worked with some guys that lived in the city. It got to the point for them that they didn't dare lock their vehicles because they'd wind up with broken windows. They were just sure not to leave anything in their vehicle and they'd expect to find it rummaged through.

Years ago I worked with some guys that lived in the city. It got to the point for them that they didn't dare lock their vehicles because they'd wind up with broken windows. They were just sure not to leave anything in their vehicle and they'd expect to find it rummaged through.
The down side is leaving it unlocked & somebody has popped the hood & stolen the battery... In the 'hood it takes a chain & a padlock to stop them, although just locking it is usually enough to make them look for an easier target-just don't have anything of value visible!

Reactions: JTK
You wouldn't believe how many auto-breaking cases I work a year due to the exponential increase in drug use and homeless populations. Most are just looking for easy targets and alot of folks oblige by leaving their car doors unlocked. Thats not nearly as surprising as what people leave in those cars while unlocked; purses/wallets with all ID/credit cards/cash/SS cards/birth certificates still in them, laptops, smartphones, firearms etc. Then they always ask if we can get their stuff back :rolleyes:.

Do they still steal those old Hondas from the 90s? :unsure:
Yes, ask me how I know.
And I like that vintage of Honda but.. somehow, I feel, never again.

It's too easy and they are so much a target I'd agree it is just not worth it.. they are so easy to steal.. and they know how to get in..
Crack or Meth head needing drug money.
You wouldn't believe how many auto-breaking cases I work a year due to the exponential increase in drug use and homeless populations. Most are just looking for easy targets and alot of folks oblige by leaving their car doors unlocked. Thats not nearly as surprising as what people leave in those cars while unlocked; purses/wallets with all ID/credit cards/cash/SS cards/birth certificates still in them, laptops, smartphones, firearms etc. Then they always ask if we can get their stuff back :rolleyes:.

Its sad and very unfortunate people do this kind of stuff.
Even Mobile Mechanics, in some instances . The scam..

We were for so many years told by the media outlets that drug use was victimless crime. We are all the victims

I’m amazed how many cars are just left on the side of the highway I see daily. I don’t care how cheap my car is, I’m waiting for a tow truck to show up. Like mentioned here, the creatures of the night will pick these cars of any usable parts to sell for drug money.

I’m amazed how many cars are just left on the side of the highway I see daily.

It's been a couple years since I went to work that way, but there's a 6-lane highway I used to go to work. And it seems like every few months a car would get abandoned and left on the shoulder, usually the tags would be missing. And I'd see it every day and when it had been sitting there for a month, I'd get fed up with Fairfax County's inaction, it's a safety hazard and one of the richest counties in the country really ought to not have abandoned vehicles sitting on their roads for weeks...

So I'd call the Fairfax County Police Department:

"Hi, I'm calling about the abandoned vehicle on 28 near (description of where it is). It's been sitting there for a month. Do you think you could maybe get that removed? I'm getting sick of seeing it every day. Thanks!"

And the next day it would have an orange "VEHICLE WILL BE TOWED" sticker on it and a couple days after that it would be gone.

Why does it take a phone call to get these lazy people to do their job???

My Legend was stolen out of the park-and-ride lot in 2010. It was recovered a few months later in Denver, abandoned in a McDonald's parking lot.

It's pretty easy to get into 1st Gen Legends if you can stand the alarm going off while you break the ignition tumbler and get the engine started.

In the late 1990's I had an early 1980's chevy station wagon that was in rough shape, used to go to the station, short errands etc. This was very close to NYC. Stolen twice, the first time it was recovered, the second time it stalled out in the road as they tried to take off & was left in the road.

Back