Who drives stick shift in rush hour traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have manual tranny and we can get some bad traffic here in LA. Thankfully general work route = almost no traffic. However, I got stuck 3 hours in traffic a few times. My left leg was so sore I limped for a few days.

Someone who drives in traffic = get an auto.

I agree with origin hacker. Manual is great, but when you get stuck in traffic, going up hill, you suddenly wish you were driving something else.

Quote:

I have manual tranny and we can get some bad traffic here in LA. Thankfully general work route = almost no traffic. However, I got stuck 3 hours in traffic a few times. My left leg was so sore I limped for a few days.

Someone who drives in traffic = get an auto.

puhleez... Time to do some real exercise. or drive an older BMW, which isnt a chore
smile.gif

JMH

My old Torana's (poor man's BMW until the beemers became the poor man's Torana) had clutches lifted from the Holden 1 tonne ute.

Broke clutch linkages occasionally.

Peak Hour in Sydney with a 3 litre 6 cylinder with heavy clutch, manual trans, 3 carbs, 263 degree duration cam seemed fun in it's day (at least you could get that gap that you were after, or pick up a few places off the lights)

Quote:

puhleez... Time to do some real exercise. or drive an older BMW, which isnt a chore
smile.gif

JMH

Only had it a few weeks, and it's the only one I've driven, but are they all a little "snatchy" around town in that light throttle environment ?

Not a pain, as you quickly learn to leave it down a gear and keep the revs up.

not at all. very forgiving, and can nearly use 1st or second, even from almost a dead stop. That is the beauty, vs. say our integra, wish is lousy in traffic... even with a low-power, small engine, that is low on low-end torque, you can creep in multiple gears, move along well, not need to shift a lot, and move with the traffic to maintain your space. You dont ever really have a fear of stalling or severe lugging, nor do you have to worry about getting into 1st at high rpms when slow-rolling, or jerking the car. You just do what feels right, and its more or less always happy. This is why driving this car in heavy traffic, even when the jerks around want to race to slam on their brakes, is a non-issue.

JMH

It's not too bad. I drive a 4-cylinder compact, so the hydraulic clutch isn't terrible. Idles at 5 mph in first on flat ground.

The only time I get ballistic is when going north or south on I75!!!! That is enough to make a preacher swear!!!! That is whenyouhear me complaining and talking stupid like talking abut getting an automatic etc..... I will probably break down and go automatic next time around since I do not think I will have a choice they do not make what I want with a manual trans and the engine I want!!!

Quote:

My Peterbilt is a 2 stick. I've been in traffic with it a few times. Ain't that bad.

Here's me taking off from a stop sign.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8SNT3uy-4

Brother, there is the reason that truck drivers were once paid better. Couple that to Armstrong Power Steering, whoa! Cool video and thanks for posting link.

I drove OTR and regional awhile. For those of you that haven't I can say that what you see here is what you'll contend with many times daily; i.e. pure frustration if you miss the pattern, have to roll to a stop and start over. And you will, even with a an ordinary 9-speed. It takes a while. Man who taught me learned on a B-61 twin-stick Mack. Great stories. You really WANTED to be a truck driver to be one.

Once acclimated, so to speak, it's not too bad. Except, leaving the Port of Houston at 77,500# and have to use that clutch for every bit of the next 100 miles past Conroe on a Friday evening.

Driving this Dodge 6-speed in traffic can get old in a hurry. So, I'm never in a hurry what with 4-shifts to about 20-mph. It's a matter of patience not taught to 95% of drivers. I just don't worry about being "quick". Just safe and economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back