Who Currently has the best DINO OIL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not an expert in specific additive packs, I can say that if you run Mobil 5000, for say, 5000 miles it will serve you well. If you want to run 15-20k oil changes then head over to synthetic-ville.

After much thought, I will be running conventional oil with 5K changes because of the warranty on my new Toyota. During the winter, I will go with a synthetic because of freezing temps here.

I think all of the name brand conventionals these days have solid additive packs.

Last edited:
Just get a 3k UOA done with it and stick with it if the results are good. No need to fix something that ain't broke :)

That being said, there is nothing wrong with improvement.

I used Castrol GTX 10w30 as the break-in oil on my STi. I did a few changes with it, and ran it for about 8k miles. The UOAs I got back were surprisingly good.

If you are near the coast in SoCal (or up north in the cold), that (5w30 GTX) is a great year-round oil. If you are inland (like Temcula or something) or anywhere it gets real hot in the summer, consider running 10w40 during the heat. If the motor has forced induction or really high compression, consider synthetic or at least a synth blend in the same weights.

i believe the MC has more sodium in it which can ascrew the uoa results a little. Some complain some dont

Originally Posted By: strombony
Will there ever be a day when someone says that Valvoline is the best dino? Has that day ever existed?

It not a bad oil. My Family had run it for years and years without any engines blowing apart. I never heard any horror stories about using it. I'm running Napa Synthetic, it's the little brother of Valvoline. I run Valvoline Synthetic all day long, but there priced to far out there from other competitors. I run Valvoline Dino all day long to in my Wife's car, When she gets a car, LOL!

shocked.gif

This thread was revived after almost four years.

Originally Posted By: BennyL
why would any of you place quaker state any lower on a spectrum than pennzoil?

i like the green bottle

i think at the end of the day they are all more or less the same....

My guess is that they're the same base oil, more or less, but have a slightly different add pack...

Best dino is an api sn in the weight your engine calls for that is not priced like liquid gold!
I have owned an engine rebuilding shop for many years and i have not had any proof that the oil used in the motors had anything to do with anything as long as they had an api rating that was current and the oil was changed on time

my Dodge/Jeep/Mazda dealer (yep...seems strange to have Mazda lumped in with Chrysler products) uses Pennzoil conventional which is my primary choice and my local 'fast-n-easy' change place is Valvoline Instant Oil Change, hence Valvoline conventional, which is my secondary choice; I feel either do well for my 2011 Jeep Liberty
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back