Who changes filters between oil changes

I know some of you guys maintain pretty short OCI's so for them it might not really be applicable.

However i maintain around 13k miles/20.000km oci's and i am thinking about changing the fitler during oil change and in between the oil changes. I drive that in about 5 months.

I had it 2 times that a mahle filter ruptered a little so i was not so fond about finding that out and not knowing how long it had been sitting like this. I also had some pretty dirty filters because of soot that came lose in the engine.

Modern car engine oil filters are also not that large to save cost/room/engine compactness etc..

I am a wind turbine mechanic and there the filters are changed yearly, the oil however is almost never changed or per 10 years orso like hydraulic/gear oil etc... that is offcourse not compareble to motoroil.

At a couple euros a filter this cant really harm, the bmw filter is also an insert filter and at located at the top of the engine so its like 30 seconds of work.
I am wondering if more of you guys are doing this or if youre OCI's are shorter so its not really neccesary.
Do some of you also have experience with this on heavy machinery like truck/plane ships etc..?

I've never done this. Using the Fram Ultra for multiple OCI. The only time I'd change it early is if the engine was a known sludger.

What are oil filter costs in the Netherlands?

Is there a bypass filter solution for your application? I would think adding redundancy would address your concern regarding failure, and would add capacity to address the soot concern.

On a side note, I wonder whether filter failure is more likely to occur early or late in the OCI? In other words, is it a defect that causes the failure "out of the box", or is it fatigue later on?

I change the oil filter every second oil change. On the BMW that would be no more than 20,000 Km and on the Honda about 16,000 Km. In my opinion, changing it more often than that would be a waste of resources.

The oil in my Honda stays very clean and I get to see the filter in my BMW whenever I change it and it has always been very clean. So I don't think I'm stretching the interval. And oil filters for the BMW are expensive relative to the cost of oil as well.

I know some of you guys maintain pretty short OCI's so for them it might not really be applicable.

However i maintain around 13k miles/20.000km oci's and i am thinking about changing the fitler during oil change and in between the oil changes. I drive that in about 5 months.

I had it 2 times that a mahle filter ruptered a little so i was not so fond about finding that out and not knowing how long it had been sitting like this. I also had some pretty dirty filters because of soot that came lose in the engine.

Modern car engine oil filters are also not that large to save cost/room/engine compactness etc..

I am a wind turbine mechanic and there the filters are changed yearly, the oil however is almost never changed or per 10 years orso like hydraulic/gear oil etc... that is offcourse not compareble to motoroil.

At a couple euros a filter this cant really harm, the bmw filter is also an insert filter and at located at the top of the engine so its like 30 seconds of work.
I am wondering if more of you guys are doing this or if youre OCI's are shorter so its not really neccesary.
Do some of you also have experience with this on heavy machinery like truck/plane ships etc..?
In the Cadillac CTS in my signature, I change it midway between oil changes. It is a cartridge filter situated on the top of the engine so it is a simple matter. We live near the beach and my wife drives less than 5 miles round trip on probably 98% of her trips. With those small VVT screens I don't want to take a chance. Since we only change the oil about once a year with less than 2,000 miles on the oil, I feel better with a clean filter. It is really small also.

Reactions: JC1
I change my oil more frequently than you, but maintain the same filter for two OCI's. I've been thinking of doing 3 OCI's on the FXT, which is harder on oil, as well as the Legacy, which is still under warranty.

If the oil filter is screwed on at the bottom, all the oil drains out anyway :D

I always wondered if this was true. Every bottom or side-mounted filter has always been above the level of pan. Siphon drain-back?

What are oil filter costs in the Netherlands?
only like 9 euros for a mann filter so very cheap.
The only time I'd change it early is if the engine was a known sludger.
i do have a lot of soot like material in the filters when i cut them open.
It is a cartridge filter situated on the top of the engine so it is a simple matter.
yes this one also, if it was on inconvienant spot i wouldnt really bother with it.

On a side note, I wonder whether filter failure is more likely to occur early or late in the OCI? In other words, is it a defect that causes the failure "out of the box", or is it fatigue later on?
i actually had it happen two times with mahle filters, they where cracked on the bottom. I guess that with all the heat is more likely to occur when the filter gets older. It might also happen with the rotating action if you move the filter. However i do not like to see the filter cracked when i pull it out. I did not have this with other brands so will not use mahle anymore(in this car)

I actually contacted mahle about this but they where not too bothered about it, they told me to contact the vendor that sold me the filter who will probably give me a new one for free. But that was not my problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118-200518_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210118-200518_Gallery.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 82
Around 1977, one of my neighbors who was into doing his own maintenance on his vehicles had a pair of BMWs and started using Mobil 1 with it's 15,000 mile oil change interval. However, since he was used to changing his oil filter on nearly a monthly basis, he decided to keep changing the oil filter as he had been and adding fresh Mobil 1 to keep the oil level where it was supposed to be.

He kept this up for about 1 year before going back conventional oil. He told me it was because he was having to add an additional quart of Mobil 1 every 1000 miles due to oil consumption by the engine which according to the BMW dealership was normal for the engines in his BMWs. So he went back to an oil change interval based on the number of engine starts that some mechanic at a seminar he went to professed was the key to long engine life. He even had a clicker counter in each vehicle he owned to keep track of the number of engine starts.

On a related note, I am contemplating dropping a quart of oil out of the cranckcase via my Fumoto valve in between oil changes and replacing it with a fresh quart. The GDI Soul is rough on lubricating oil. I am awaiting a UOA and will go from there.

On a related note, I am contemplating dropping a quart of oil out of the cranckcase via my Fumoto valve in between oil changes and replacing it with a fresh quart. The GDI Soul is rough on lubricating oil. I am awaiting a UOA and will go from there.
If you drive a lot of short trips and or in a cold climate this is a good idea to cope with fuel dillution. I am curious what your UOA will show you.

They also do this with windturbine gearboxes, they test the oil to see the addpack levels, if they are off they might add additives or replace x amount of the oil. Theres between sometimes 600 to 1500liters of oil in it so they are almost never replaced, only the filters with magnets.

Too bad there arent a lot of people on here who work in aviation or large shipping/heavy machinery. I wonder if they use similiar methods.

This is the amount of soot like material the filter contains after around 13k miles.

Its not great not terrible.
Dont mind the reddish piece. Its from a gasket that i replaced.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118-214151_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210118-214151_Gallery.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 98

If you find any abnormalities, maybe it's best to reduce the oci? If a filter ruptures, there's likely too much pressure differential across the filter.

I do 5 oil changes on one filter, they come out looking like they can do 5 more. But because I leave the filter in place, it's only a part change of oil

Back