Who All Uses 15w-40 "Fleet" Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as soon as I get back from Mexico, I'm gonna change out the oil in the Lumina and put in some 15w-40, most likely some Delo 400.

Anyways, I'm curious as to who on here also is running 15w-40 in a vehicle whose specs. don't call for that grade.

What vehicle to you run it in?
What was the manufacturers requirements (5w-30, 10w-30, etc...)?
Why did you make the change?

Thanks,

Justin.

I've got DelvacMX in the Camira (J-car). Better half put less than 2000miles on it in town last year, so I'm running that for a clean-up. Manufacturer recommends 20W-30 to 20W-50.

I've got Delvac 1 in the 4Runner. (It's now her and the baby's car, I've got the Camira now). Manufacturer calls for 10W-40 to 20W-50 down here.

I used Schaeffer's 15w40 in my VW Passat, which calls for 5w40. I was less than impressed and thought the car lost a tiny bit of it's zip. I also use Schaeffer's 15w40 in my boat, a 4.3L V6. The boat calls for 25w40. Subjectively, the 15w40 has been the best running oil yet in the boat.

I use Rotella T in my Billygoat leaf vacuum with good results. For the cars I use Amsoil 10W-30 and change twice a year. I think if you are in a warm climate or if you have a high mileage engine you'd be ok to use it in your car. Have heard that some of the additives will shorten the life of the O2 sensor, though.
cheers.gif

I use the Schaeffer's Supreme 15w-40 in everything.

97 Saturn SL-1, 98 F-150 V-6, 00 John Deere,
65ish Massey/Perkins, 99 Suzuki 4 stroke outboard, several Briggs engines and starting with the next oil change my 03 VW Golf TDI (diesel) on which I will be testing the Schaeffer's ability to hold up to this engines high piston ring and turbo bearing temps.

I use this stuff in my lawn and garden equipment (both air and liquid-cooled). I have used mostly Chevron Delo-400 in the past and have switched most equipment over to Schaeffer Supreme 7000 15W40 (synthetic blend) and I might even use Pennzoil 15W40 Long Life in certain applications. It's cheaper and much easier to find in these parts.

If I lived in a warmer climate I might be tempted to use one of these in a passenger car/truck ... once it was out of warranty period.

--- Bror Jace

Using this weight in my '91 420SEL since I bought it as this is what the MB dealers & the independant shops all recommend for Oregon on a year-round basis.

I buy the Penzoil LongLife (Holy moly!), the Delo ISO Syn SL, Delvac, etc. when they are on sale/with rebate for as low as $0.68 per qt.
cool.gif

After I'm done with my Auto-rx regimens I'm considering using this weight for all my vehicles, soon to all have in excess of 100K miles (well, except the ZX-11) because I believe it provides both excellent protection & superior cleaning.

As far as the "mfg requirements" are concerned, it would be replacing 10W-30 on a year-round basis, temps @ -10 to 90F & 0 to 100F, for the most part. Really doesn't get very cold (nor very hot!)here, and certainly not for long.
cool.gif

When it is this cheap there is no need to extend to long intervals, nor would I worry if I had to go an extra 1K between changes for some reason.

If it is good enough for ACEA E3 & E5 it is good enough for me!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:

After I'm done with my Auto-rx regimens I'm considering using this weight for all my vehicles, soon to all have in excess of 100K miles (well, except the ZX-11) because I believe it provides both excellent protection & superior cleaning.

Why not use it in the ZX-11? The lack of "friction modifiers" means it's O.K, and the 15w-40 rating fits the bill. Many guys use "fleet" oil...personally, I run Delo 400 15w-40 in a Honda (CB400F!)

[ March 24, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

You know, I would bet it would work just fine: I've used this weight oil in a cycle before without any problems. Probably a far superior choice to a conventional 10W-40.

But I've just come to enjoy the tremendous shift improvevent noticed with Amsoil 10W-40 AMO and I'm sold on it!
burnout.gif
I'm confident it will hang around in grade for as long as I plan to go between oil & filter changes.

cheers.gif

I run Shaeffer's Series 7000 15W-40 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 4.0 I six is a noisy, tractor-like engine with lots of piston slap. 15W-40 really quiets this down. My prior run was with Amsoil ATM 10W-30. I had terrific wear numbers with it, so I'm curious how the Schaeffer's will fare.

I use 15W-40 Delo 400 in the whole family fleet. SAE 30 Pennzoil Long Life and Valvoline Racing (also diesel-rated) were my previous choices.

1957 Chevrolet 283 V8
1968 VW 1500 H4
1972 Buick 350 V8
1986 Dodge 318 V8
1992 BMW 2.5 I6
1994 Ford 5.0 V8

15W-40 is the preferred grade for the BMW and is also listed in the Dodge owners manual. 10W-30 is listed for the Chevy, Buick and Ford, straight 30 for the VW. Since the BMW is by far the most exotic and expensive, it gets preference.

This is a mild climate, so cold starting is not an issue. It just makes sense for me to use the same oil in all of these engines. Most of them are not driven very much, so the high TBN of a fleet oil also helps prevent acids and rust.

OK,I'm looking forward to my next oil change on the beater (seriously).

Locally I can get DelvacMX for $29 for 5 litres, Delo 400 for (suprise) $29 for 5 litres, Pennzoil Longlife for $89 for 20 litres.

Which is the better oil of the 3 ?

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
OK,I'm looking forward to my next oil change on the beater (seriously).

Locally I can get DelvacMX for $29 for 5 litres, Delo 400 for (suprise) $29 for 5 litres, Pennzoil Longlife for $89 for 20 litres.

Which is the better oil of the 3 ?

I guess Delvac MX is the same as Delvac 1300 Super?

They are all good oils, but personally, I use Delo 400 15w-40.

Curious though...with all the marketing of Rotella being used in Australia, why aren't you considering using it?

Justin.

quote:

Originally posted by darrenc:
I run Shaeffer's Series 7000 15W-40 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 4.0 I six is a noisy, tractor-like engine with lots of piston slap. 15W-40 really quiets this down. ...

Agreed. We've switched four vehicles to the Schaeffer 15W40 blend, two of them Jeep 4.0L's. My own had some incredible piston slap that has almost disappeared with the blend. I tried Amsoil series 2K briefly (0W30 alone then blending in 33% 20W50) but the piston slap was unbearable.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back