White Christmas in AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had our first white Christmas that I can remember in AL on Christmas day. I took this snapshot at an abandoned rail near my house.

DSCF3856-Cropped.jpg

We've got about 3-4 inches here in Upstate South Carolina. 1st white Christmas since 1963. Started yesterday about 3 o'clock and still coming down. Very pretty, fluffy snow. Roads seem to be O.K. My 3 and 1/2 year old niece was amazed at the snow falling on her face. It's the 1st snow she has ever seen.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Get used to it. The world climate is getting much colder and wetter.

Interesting I thought it was getting hotter and drier?

First snow on Christmas day here since 1947.

Actually, were the world climate merely getting colder, it would probably get drier and more stable.
If you want to see wild weather, you have to introduce energy somewhere, otherwise you wouldn't have much weather.
The average temperatures at the surface are incresing.
That doesn't mean that they'll increse for me, say, in any given year, but it does mean that more energy will be available to create weather, and extreme events may become more common.
The reason for the increase in average surface temperatures is another matter.
Is it a function of greenhouse gases, or is it the result of our sun entering a more active period?

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Interesting I thought it was getting hotter and drier?

Only at the poles. But nobody lives there.

Stunning photo, we don't get snow where I live in California so it's always neat to see pics of a white Christmas....but looks cooold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Stunning photo, we don't get snow where I live in California so it's always neat to see pics of a white Christmas....but looks cooold.

It was around 35°F when that pic was taken, so not terribly cold. By the end of Christmas day, a lot of the snow in the pic had melted. It's snowing again now, and a bit colder at 29°F, with a steady north wind.

We actually had a light flurry of snow, mid-morning here in Pensacola Florida this morning. Pensacola, fer cryin' out loud. I realize that this ain't Miami, but still. . .

Very nice shot!

Reminds me of a shot I took back when I was living in VA, minus the railway tracks...

snow-dirty.jpg

By the way, lots of snow here in IL this year, too, alas, it's not very unusual for us. Snowblower is getting its workout
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The world is coming to an end when the South looks like the North. Where is that old Mason Dixon Line?

Under several feet of snow at the moment. . .

Over history there have been warm and cold times. The good Lord controls the weather.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
We actually had a light flurry of snow, mid-morning here in Pensacola Florida this morning. Pensacola, fer cryin' out loud. I realize that this ain't Miami, but still. . .

We had some as well. I heard all these kids shrilling outside, so I go to look and there's snow falling.

getting colder ?????? i live in canada [quebec] we have a total of 3" of snow on the ground today 31st. of dec we have rain comming down ..i see down south of us the states got nailed with snow ...

Awesome photo!

Traveling back from Chicago on Dec 26, I was amazed at how the snow pack kept the ground white all the way to north Nashville. Never have I traveled back and seen so much of the ground covered for so many miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back