White Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
For those who had White Castle, In and Out, and Five Guys, how does WC compare?

I don't get the big deal about In and Out.

It's comparable to Whataburger with better fries.

Five Guys? Slightly better burger than In and Out or Whataburger...In and Out quality fries.

Smashburger? Best chain burger. Meh...
21.gif
fries.

I think In and Out does well here because of the number of California transplants. Natives will always pick Whataburger even though the fries aren't as good.

You hit it exactly! I live by you so I agree about the Smashburger - GREAT burger but lackluster fries. Love 5 Guys fries, though and the burger is really good. In n Out is just plain over rated awfulness...and back up the access road by Parks Mall!

I agree, except I never had Smashburger. I like Whataburger but none of those here either. I use to live in Arlington TX back when it was nice from what I hear.

Do they have those out your way? The family vaca will be in DC this summer. Might have to put Smashburger on the list of places to stop if they are out there.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Smashburger

smashburger.jpg

If it has to be a chain-franchise burger, make mine a Smashburger

On the whole chain-franchise burger topic, stepping up to a place without a drive through, I like Fuddruckers. They grind their own beef and you can get a real cooked RARE burger. One step up from steak tartar! Combined with fresh topping, yum!

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
These commenters know nothing. At the absolute pinnacle of the hamburger taste continuum sits White Castle. I have visited the Menlo Park store many times over the past 30 years. Fantastic.

+1. DUH, they aren't good for you (I don't think anything is these days with the food police). Does that stop me from eating 10 of them if I'm within a 200 mile radius of a White Castle? Heck no.

My mom's side of the family lives in Missouri; my Dad's side Wisconsin. I always go to White Castle when visiting family.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
For those who had White Castle, In and Out, and Five Guys, how does WC compare?

White Castle is completely different; it's not the same kind of burger as the others. It's not a big burger with all the fixins. They just taste good and different.

There was once a White Castle in North Bergen by Hudson COunty Park. I believe it it still there, but haven't been up that way in a while.

I really don't care for their burgers. I prefer White Mana in Hackensack if I am going to eat that type of food.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Originally Posted By: Joe1

White Mana in Hackensack

If you're close to White Manna, why even bother with white castle.

I concur. The White Manna in Hackensack is my preference.

Sure is a lot of hate for WC. Moderation is the key to all things, including burgers of any manufacture.

Never had any belly problems with WC burgers. Must be a bunch of sub-standard bellies around.

Had WC when living the Belleville IL area. Loved them. Now I have to get them at the frozen section of our local grocery stores. I make them when I want a LOT and don't want to pay the payments on them. Never quite as good, but satifies the cravings.

And as with any other food, nobody ever said you HAD to eat them until you gained 50 lbs and got diabetes. Jeez, some people are more intolerant than they appear in the mirror...

Was at the White Castle on Kennedy Blvd in Union City N.J. awhile back..It was very good..There are no White Castle Burger places in Miami-Dade County..In fact I never saw one anywhere in Florida..At least not from Miami to Georiga via I-95.

Growing up in the 1960s, I preferred Top Hat burgers over White Castles. The last Top Hats I recall was on Woodward near 8 Mile in Detroit. That was in the early 1980s.

Currently the best sliders around Detroit are at a little coffee shop at the corner of Caniff and Jos. Campau streets in Hamtramck.

I really don't care for their burgers. I prefer White Mana in Hackensack if I am going to eat that type of food.

+1

Top it off with a crumb cake from B&W and youre set!!!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

Top it off with a crumb cake from B&W and youre set!!!

What about Fuddruckers? They used to be on Rt 1 in Nrth Brunswick, right by the off-ramp for Rt. 18. No more!
frown.gif

I also like White Castle. I wish they had them in the Baltimore - Washington DC area. No Krystal here either. Would be nice to have on on the boardwalk in Atlantic City, NJ. There is not even on anywhere south of Tom's River, NJ.

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to have really great Family owned Diners in my area that will serve me a great burger at pretty much the same price as any of the chains do.

A few even have a license so I can get a beer with my burger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back