Whirlpool washer loud humming/rubbing stripped gears VIDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere
If I spin the tub slowly it doesn't make the sound but if I spin it quickly it feels like something is stripped inside.
Any help greatly appreciated

Last edited:
don't know about the new ones, but the old ones had dog paddles that activated the agitator. they would strip out often. maybe yours has them under that agitator

There's a plastic gear under that agitator/impeller at the bottom of the tub. You can get to it from inside the tub. What's the model number?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
There's a plastic gear under that agitator/impeller at the bottom of the tub. You can get to it from inside the tub. What's the model number?

Whirlpool WTW5000DW1

Is this the part then? W10528947

Last edited:
W10528947 That looks like it. Make sure it fits your model number before you order it.

Last edited:
Got it out definitely the plastic is worn.
is the metal shaft supposed to look like that?

IMG_20191227_175059.jpg

IMG_20191227_175928.jpg

Loading too much clothes and choosing a too low water level wears out those plastic agitator dogs even faster. Dear wife loves to do both. I try to do the laundry myself as much as possible.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Loading too much clothes and choosing a too low water level wears out those plastic agitator dogs even faster. Dear wife loves to do both. I try to do the laundry myself as much as possible.

Yes, but that part is a common failure point on those washers. Even with normal loading they're failing every 3-4 years pretty regularly. A family member just got rid of theirs for an old style Speed Queen with a real agitator. Hers failed after 4 years and she didn't want to repair it since it doesn't get clothes as near as clean as the Speed Queen that she had already bought.

Last edited:
like everything today made cheaper or too many gizmos aka electronics. girlfriends belt driven front load computer processor went out $500, 7 yr old + one load a week for a $700 washer!!!! she bought a more basic model for less than the part!!

The HE top load Whirlpools are simple machines that are easy to service. The nut on the "splutch" is prone to loosening causing the gears to grind. I caught mine when I heard the grinding, tightened the nut and it's been good since. Just needs a splutch kit.

Originally Posted by Brybo86

What is all that crud on the plastic piece? Looks like dried spaghetti sauce with meat.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by Brybo86

What is all that crud on the plastic piece? Looks like dried spaghetti sauce with meat.

Ha, yeh was gross..
This washer is in the church basement and typically gets used to wash hand towels/aprons etc mb have a bunch of food residue on them

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Metal shaft is fine. Just needs to be cleaned up.

Flathead screwdriver and a pick, thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back