Whipple supercharged 2017 5.3 silverado

So, I'm doing a deal today on a 2017 silverado 5.3L with a Whipple 2.9L supercharger. I've seen where the truck factory calls for 0w20. I'm a little hesitant about using that with something that has 150hp as well as 150 torque more than factory. I'm an amsoil dealer so I can get that but I'm a off the shelf at Walmart type person honestly and I would be changing the oil more frequently than what would be beneficial using amsoil. What off the shelf oils, viscosity and brand would be a safe bet? Also ill more than likely add lubegard biotech to whatever it is, I've heard differences in motor noise and over all vibrations with it. I wont be tracking the truck, it will be my daily driver, not saying that I won't take the opportunity every once in a while and make someone feel less of thier vehicle 🤭

Attachments

• 20210507_145510.jpg
    20210507_145510.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 72
Forget the Lubegard and simply use an oil that meets VW 502 or the Porsche A40 spec.
What you want is an oil with a HTHS of 3.5 or higher. A Euro 0W30 is better in that modded engine than a 5W30 typical for a GM/Honda/Ford... non Euro engine.

Think of it like the Ford 5.0 that calls for 0W20 to 5W50 depending on the HP and vehicle it's in.

very conservatively tuned if it’s only gaining 150hp over stock. they left a lot on the table if you ever get bored

So, I'm doing a deal today on a 2017 silverado 5.3L with a Whipple 2.9L supercharger. I've seen where the truck factory calls for 0w20.

Any way to find out what Whipple recommends for engine oil when their supercharge kit is installed on this engine? I'm betting they are at least recommending a 5W-30.

Any way to find out what Whipple recommends for engine oil when their supercharge kit is installed on this engine? I'm betting they are at least recommending a 5W-30.
I'm probably going to call them Monday, whatever oil is in it seems to be keeping it clean, shows 53% remaining and the oil is a good ruby redish brown

Probably the cheapest off the shelf Dexos2 oil is Pennzoil Euro L 5W30, can get it from walmart for $22/jug, most of the other ACEA C3 oils are pretty steep, sometimes Walmart.com does some screwy thing where edge C3 is $18.49/jug in a 3 pack but none of the other multipack quantities are cheaper, but normally it's nearly $40/jug and Mobil1 ESP is usually a special order item and it's not particularly cheap anywhere online, usually around $8-10/qt or at the parts store if they happen to stock it in your area. My reasoning behind using Dexos2 is that's what GM recommends in the new Corvettes and lower SAPS oil is potentially beneficial in preventing intake valve deposits in direct injection engines, Dexos2 has a .8% Sulfated Ash limit whereas the older 0w40 Euro oils can be quite high in the sulfated ash department, for example Mobil1 0w-40 is 1.34%..

A few years ago, I changed the oil on a Ford truck that had a Jack Roush supercharger on it. The oil cap still said 5w20, that's what the customer wanted and that's what he got.

Idk but guys making 500-600 rwhp in tuned Ecoboosts run 5W-30. Some may step up to a 40.

if you are not doing more than the random stop light drag or towing heavy, i cant see need more than a 5w-30. How long can you really stand on the gas on the street before you are going stupidly fast?

Last edited:
Idk but guys making 500-600 rwhp in tuned Ecoboosts run 5W-30. Some may step up to a 40.

if you are not doing more than the random stop light drag or towing heavy, i cant see need more than a 5w-30. How long can you really stand on the gas on the street before you are going stupidly fast?

Depends on what you are driving

What time of night is it?

How far apart are the stoplights!?

All sorts of different factors 🤣😅

Last edited:
Back to oil. I like the supercharger. Yes, I would forget the 0w20. You’ve changed the operating conditions. The rod and crank bearings will now be subjected to a higher load. I would use a Euro 0w30 or 5w30 as a minimum and 5w40 if you planned to huff on this thing during hot days in the summer. I’m using Pennzoil Euro 0w30 in my Chev 6.0. Get a 0 to 60 and report back!

I know lots of people supercharging and keep with the factory recommended without regret as I do.

Back