Whining noise front differential gear/bearing or wheel bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whining/humming noise starts at 60km/h and up.

Chevy Trailblazer 2007 4.2L.

Has a front differential.

At first I had really bad front end noise, changed the wheel bearings, most of the noise disappeared especially at lower speeds.
Changed the CV axle assembly. Changed the diff fluid twice (spotted a tiny bit of metallic particles but nothing crazy). Running 75w-90 synthetic.

When I turn the wheel (front drivers side where it meets diff) by hand in the forward direction, it makes a clicking noise.
I think although I'm not sure this clicking noise becomes the whining/humming noise at higher speeds.

Kind of like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyUlT_7DMc

But the noise only happens when turning in forward direction, in reverse it's fine. And the noise is inconsistent when spun (comes on and off).

I'm just really not sure if that clicking noise transfers over in the whining/humming noise at higher speeds.

I took CV assembly out. The roller bearing right behind the seal in the diff where the axle goes into looks fine. It's nice and smooth, can spin it with my finger.

I spun and examined the gears inside diff, no apparent damage or anything.

There is a TINY BIT of side to side play when I hold the wheel, like 1/4 inch.

Is it possible diff could have gone damaged if the CV axle was not seated properly? (just thinking about possibilities here, I'm certain I seated it properly).
It's currently definitely seated properly.

Could it be the new crappy aftermarket wheel bearing that still has gone bad?

If it is the diff (and I think it's a gear or something because if I spin the wheel in the opposite direction there is no clicking noise at the diff, if it was really a bearing at the diff wouldn't it make the noise in both directions?),

would adding a 75w-140 help in anyway?

The diff fluid looks like it was never changed before, is it possible it masked the problem until I put new diff fluid (more viscous)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back