Which viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iontrap,

The number of miles per day is not significant; the key factor is: What does your owners manual recommend for the temperatures you will experience during the oil change interval. If it 5WXX is "recommended" that is what you should use. If it gives you the choice, given the climate in Georgia, I would use a 10WXX and if you are "using" oil and no longer in warranty, I'd go with a high quality 10W40.

I have not seen an SAE 5W in any of the stores.
SAE 10W is considered a winter only engine oil suitable for cold starts down to -30C.
I think that the suggestion of using a multi-grade is the best bet without knowing more about the application.

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
I have not seen an SAE 5W in any of the stores.
SAE 10W is considered a winter only engine oil suitable for cold starts down to -30C.
I think that the suggestion of using a multi-grade is the best bet without knowing more about the application.

I believe he's not asking about 5w or 10w, but simply if he should use 5w30 or 10w30.

Oh! Then the answer is yes.
pat.gif

If those 12 miles are 2 six mile trips, the engine is never really going to warm up. I would go with the 5W-30 and change it at least twice a year if not every 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back