Which viscosity for me: Royal Purple 5w30 or 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After browsing thru the RP website, I just realised that RP have a distributor in my country! Im interested in trying out the 30wts, which viscosity is better and more suited for my climate? (24~33C year round). Both viscosities are recommended for my 2.2L 5SFE and 2.4L 2AZFE.

Specs are here:
http://www.royalpurple.com/rpmor/rpmomrps.pdf

Go with 10w30, it'll have less of a tendancy to thin out. My wife's car is running 5w30 RP right now, but on the next oil change I'm switching it to 10w30 RP.

After seeing all the nice UOAs with 30wts and even 20wts, this site has really educated me. I think Im finally bold enough to try it out myself. Seeing that toyota also recommends it, it cant be all that bad? It'll be quite an overcoming for me, I've always been a 20w50 man you see.

-

Thanks guys! I had a hunch 10w30 would be better for me. BTW Patman, I've got another one for you:

'You know you are obsessed with oil when....you start posting msgs at 5.18 in the morning!'
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
Thanks guys! I had a hunch 10w30 would be better for me. BTW Patman, I've got another one for you:

'You know you are obsessed with oil when....you start posting msgs at 5.18 in the morning!'
cheers.gif

Hehe, good one! (actually, I got up at 4:30 and started reading the board shortly after that)
smile.gif

offtopic.gif

Ken4,

Did you notice the typo in line 4 of the viscosity chart you showed us (inside the parentheses)?
lol.gif

[ July 23, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Slightly
offtopic.gif
, Ken4, what is the wording after the 5W-20 asterisk. Is it some warning about resticted use for this grade of oil in these temp ranges? It's interesting that both the 5W-30 and 5W-20 have the same temp range in the manual, of course with the asterisk for the 5W-20 recommendation.

Thanks,

Whimsey

I ran it thru my japanese to english translator and here is what came out
grin.gif

'5w-20 the most ministry expense it is superb oil'

pat.gif

Ken4,

Do you think that means if you pay the Transportation Ministry enough they will declare it "a superb oil?"
grin.gif

My guess is:

'The Environment Ministry has declared 5w20 a superb oil for fuel economy.'

But I think I still prefer your definition, pscholte!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back