Which Vehicle Type is the Most Popular in Each State?

Only in 4 states cars are the most popular.
  • SUVs are the most popular vehicle type in 46 of 50 states, while cars account for the remaining four states.
  • Pickup trucks are not the most popular vehicle type in any state and have the highest share in Wyoming at 37.1 percent.
  • New York has the highest share of SUVs, which comprise 54.2 percent of the state’s vehicle share.
  • Passenger cars are the most popular vehicle type in states with temperate climates
  • California has the highest share of cars at 47.2 percent.
  • Hawaii is the state that has the lowest share of SUVs, but the vehicle still accounts for more than one-third of the state’s vehicles.
  • Hawaii and Nebraska tie for the highest share of minivans, at 4.5 percent.

Most Popular Vehicle Type in Each State

I certainly admire the usefulness of the SUV. Plenty of room for everything in all but the smallest models. And I drive a pickup more often than anything else for work related travel. But when it comes to what I truly like, it's a low slung car due to the low center of gravity, with adequate power and wonderful driving dynamics.

I will admit the better Tesla SUV's do tend to meet many of the requirements I set forth due to the low battery and righteous power. But no convertible top.

Today, it is probably possible to take a Model X to the track and enjoy it.

"SUV" covers a wide range of vehicles these days. A Tahoe and a Rogue have very little in common. AFAIC, small CUVs are cars.
Yeah I basically consider modern CUVs to be the replacement for station wagons. Yeah it might have AWD, but it's not going off road, towing a big trailer, or in my case dragging a sweet gum tree down the road...
IMG_20230402_144120476_HDR.jpg

SUV''s,CUV's,Crossovers, minivans etc are just the modern replacement for the Station Wagon of my youth.

the thread title also explains why the majors have moved away from auto's and are more into making the modern version of the station wagon.

I live near Naples FL, which is home to some really expensive vehicles and Porsche SUV's are passe there are so many of them
but you know you have arrived when you see a Bentley SUV. Saw one of these in the local post office, in the same lot as the more pedestrian Porsche SUV's ( FWIW there were 3 Porsche SUV's in the lot with the Bentley)

seems even Bentley has a SUV. Haven't seen a Rolls SUV yet. :)
derivhero 1920x960 Bentayga Azure front 3-4 static CMYK.jpg

Nevada:
41.5% - SUV
41.2% - Cars
iSeeCars.com has saved users over $382 million so far by applying big data analytics powered by over 25 billion (and growing) data points and using proprietary algorithms to objectively analyze, score and rank millions of new cars and used cars.

Nevada:
41.5% - SUV
41.2% - Cars
Very good eye! I did not catch that. That is quite odd so I've sent over an email asking them for clarification. I'll post back when I hear something. That is very close to each other so...

Very good eye! I did not catch that. That is quite odd so I've sent over an email asking them for clarification. I'll post back when I hear something. That is very close to each other so...

There are a vast majority of service jobs that don't pay well-at all in Las Vegas. I'm sure those workers are buying beater sedans.

Back