Which Tranny Fluid to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read on this forum that dealer SP-III breaks down very fast under severe service. I was looking for the link of that post but the search function is useless (at least for me).
So anything synthetic or even maxlife or castrol IMV is better than the OEM SP-III.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy
I've read on this forum that dealer SP-III breaks down very fast under severe service. I was looking for the link of that post but the search function is useless (at least for me).
So anything synthetic or even maxlife or castrol IMV is better than the OEM SP-III.

I've read the same

For the transmission, go with MaxLife Dex/Merc. I beilieve that they state it meets the requirments of SP-III

For the brakes, I'd think that your manual says to use DOT-3, and DOT-4 would be an upgrade. Either will work just fine.

For the power steering, it looks like it was most likely filled with PSF-3 from the factory which was a DexII based ATF. MaxLife will work in this instance, but if you are gunshy about putting an ATF in your power steering unit the dealer now carries PSF-4 which is synthetic fluid. I cannot find what it is based on, so there are no suggested alternatives to it. Looks like in 2012 Kia started using PSF-4 as a factory fill. It's also available at Hyundai dealers, I'd buy based on best price.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
For the transmission, go with MaxLife Dex/Merc. I beilieve that they state it meets the requirments of SP-III

For the brakes, I'd think that your manual says to use DOT-3, and DOT-4 would be an upgrade. Either will work just fine.

For the power steering, it looks like it was most likely filled with PSF-3 from the factory which was a DexII based ATF. MaxLife will work in this instance, but if you are gunshy about putting an ATF in your power steering unit the dealer now carries PSF-4 which is synthetic fluid. I cannot find what it is based on, so there are no suggested alternatives to it. Looks like in 2012 Kia started using PSF-4 as a factory fill. It's also available at Hyundai dealers, I'd buy based on best price.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back