Which Tranny Fluid to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Plan on draining and filling the trans, draining and filling brake lines, and possibly replacing my P/S fluid in my 2006 kia optima lx (automatic) pretty soon. What kind of fluid do you guys recommend? I drive 80% hwy right now and 20% city, im looking for fluids that will help make easy shifting,solid braking, etc but that's also good for when i want to get on it and pass people, etc. not really worried about price as long as it will last me quite a while. I don't know if those fluid has ever been changed in this car or not, but it has over 116k miles. Suggestions, Tips, etc? Thank You in Advance.

I would go with Amsoil if its spec'ed for your car. Look on their website. I doubt you will find a better ATF period. 50K severe and 100K normal. The filter should be changed if it has one if you do not know the filter history

A Magnefine inline filter is always a good $20 addition.

You can do the work yourself as well as a shop can.

Last edited:
Thanks, from what i've read it only has a screen filter in it that most people don't even bother changing, and I do almost all of my own work. what about the other fluids?

Many people use a turkey baster to change their PS fluid if it fits. Look in the owners manual, some PS take ATF and some take PS fluid.

For brake fluid use a name brand unopened DOT4. The important thing is to change it every 2 years to get any moisture out.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Many people use a turkey baster to change their PS fluid if it fits. Look in the owners manual, some PS take ATF and some take PS fluid.

Hey he is talking about me.
smile.gif
This time around I bought one of those suction straw-tube to extract the power steering. Have not done the brakes yet because bleeding the brakes takes two people.

edit: Maxlife, Mobil 1, RedLine are all good

Last edited:
These are all great ideas, keep them coming, any advice to keep in mind while changing these fluids?

and i know i said price wasn't that big of a deal but now seeing how much fluids i'll need, i don't want to use Amsoil, haha it's pricey from what i see...

Castrol import multi vehicle performs great in SP-II and SP-III aplications. And its cheap at walmart.

Last edited:
that sounds good lol, i know my car requires sp-111
i just want to make sure i get decent quality fluids that i won't have to change for a very long time, and will do good with all the hwy driving i do....
though i never cared for castrol oil, but that's irrelevant

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: Donald

Hey he is talking about me.
smile.gif
This time around I bought one of those suction straw-tube to extract the power steering. Have not done the brakes yet because bleeding the brakes takes two people.

edit: Maxlife, Mobil 1, RedLine are all good

You can gravity bleed brakes yourself. Not all that fast. Just keep the hopper filled and do not step on the brake pedal.

Turkey baster isn't as good as shampoo pump for small siphon job such as power steering. Turkey baster tends to leak fluid and shampoo pump doesn't.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Turkey baster isn't as good as shampoo pump for small siphon job such as power steering. Turkey baster tends to leak fluid and shampoo pump doesn't.

What if you have little hair and are between nutcases? Little need for a lot of shampoo.

So far I've gotten this:
Use a siphoning tool for power steering fluid
Use SP-111 fluid for tranny
Consider changing tranny filter if possible or needed
I can gravity bleed my brakes if i want

so what kind of brake fluid should i use, or are they all about the same (besides dot 3 and dot 4)

and what about power steering fluid?

Redline makes a transmission fluid for my car that can also be used in power steering.....any good?

Originally Posted By: Ga129
what about royal purple products?

They are also great. The current RP ATF is made to replace SP-III, but I don't believe it carries any certifications.

That in mind, I often find cars that were made with SP-III dirty the fluid quickly.

As for power steering, read the reservior to be sure it takes PSF. Some require ATF, and if that is the case, use any high quality synthetic ATF and you will not be disappointed.

Just use the OEM trans fluid, it will be the best thing for your trans. its designed for it after all. Idk about the brake fluid, these things will be found in the owners manual.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Just use the OEM trans fluid, it will be the best thing for your trans. its designed for it after all. Idk about the brake fluid, these things will be found in the owners manual.

Nothing wrong with that statement, but i've just read about guys on here that use oem type stuff and it seems to get dirty fairly quickly and need changing sooner...just trying to find something better i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back