which synthetic oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
gr_eek2.gif
what synthetic oil has the most molybdenum in it? ive decided to switch to synthetic but im hung up on witch one to buy. ive been duing alot of searching and ive got it narrowed down to amsoil,castrol or moble1 although im leaning twards amsoil or castrol cause ive heard moble1 burns oil very quickly.
and also witch oil would be better,cleaner. non synthetic quicker state 500miles old, or synthetic with 5000miles. if it matters on the car i have a acura integra gsr and it redlines at 8500rpm's also do i need 5w 30? or 10w 30? if it matters its 70 to 90dergrees in summer, and 20 to 40 in the winter. oppinions would be very appretiated. thanx
fruit.gif

[ March 05, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Dan4510 ]

Let the real experts tell you more, but, between fresh dino and syn at 5,000 will depend on the particular car somewhat=do UOA to check.
Odds are the synthetics, well, at least the real ones will be in pretty good shape at 5,000.

Mobil 1 definitely doesn't burn particularly quickly in all, or even most engines. Unless you're talking about Germany or Belgian Castrol (0W30 or 5W40), Syntec is a rather over priced Group III oil...that is, Castrol can't label it as synthetic in Europe, but they can get away with it here. Not that Syntec is bad, it is more that it is overpriced. Espicially since Mobil 1 in 5 qt jugs is cheaper in most Wal-Marts. Amsoil certainly makes some great oil, but you can't really buy it locally over the counter, and their oils are only economical on longer drains.

I can't make a recomendation between 5w30 and 10w30 in that application, but someone else probably can. Otherwise, what does the manual say? What does the manual say in European/Australian cars? If I had to make a vast generalization, I would guess that GC or Mobil 1 10W30 would do well.

quote:

Originally posted by kyle:
gr_eek2.gif
what synthetic oil has the most molybdenum in it?

Probably Redline, as they use about 500-600ppm of moly, compared to Mobil 1 for instance, which uses about 60-80ppm.

Kyle, I would not select a SYN based on how much Moly it has (or doesn't have.) I think you have to look at the overall picture.

Moly content in a ayn is not an indication of absolute quality.

How do you drive and what kind of oci's are you comforatable with???

what is oci? i drive normally but take it to the drag strip every weekend. you guys have been very helpful but i still am wondering if i need 5w 30 or 10w 30. what has more moly in it, moble1 or amsoil or casrol?? im leaning twards amsoil the most mostly because of www.amsoil.com they have a graph of the best syn oil and a graph of the best oil filter.

heres another dumb question, can you mix synthetic oil? like 1quart redline 1quartmoble1 2quarts amsoil.

does anyoneknow a cheap site to buy amsoil? the cheapest ive found is 5.70 a quart or 12quarts for $58 can i get any cheaper?

Unless someone is willing to discount their product, which AMSOIL Inc won't do, the least expensive way to get it is to become a preferred customer. Costs you $10 for a 6 month membership, and you buy at dealer cost.
Contact any of the AMSOIL sponsors here on the board.

As far as mixing, sure. Just like putting 2 oz of Budweiser, 2 oz of Leinenkugel, 2 oz of Pilsner Urquell, 2 oz of Lowenbrau, and 2 oz of Potosi, and 2 oz of Chief Oshkosh beer in a glass.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Just like putting 2 oz of Budweiser, 2 oz of Leinenkugel, 2 oz of Pilsner Urquell, 2 oz of Lowenbrau, and 2 oz of Potosi, and 2 oz of Chief Oshkosh beer in a glass.

****, how dare anyone mix Leinenkugel's with any of that other swill?
lol.gif
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kyle:
heres another dumb question, can you mix synthetic oil? like 1quart redline 1quartmoble1 2quarts amsoil.

You could, but your taking small risks with incapatibility by making your own witch brews.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
I Just like putting 2 oz of Budweiser, 2 oz of Leinenkugel, 2 oz of Pilsner Urquell, 2 oz of Lowenbrau, and 2 oz of Potosi, and 2 oz of Chief Oshkosh beer in a glass.

I find that putting 12 ozs of each into my stomach is much more pleasing, plus it flushs my kidneys and bladder. bobwoods

Like **** said, if your a pref. customer, Amsoil is competitively priced with Mobil 1. Two things that I think are misleading people on this board and that is that you have to have Moly and an A3 rated oil.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back