Which synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 13 Ford Edge 3.5 108k I purchased it 4 years 1 owner always dealer serviced. So when I got it i started using Motorcraft synthetic blend, and switched to Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend as well. I change my oil every 6 months I typically have about 2 or 3,000 miles on it at that time.. I'm considering switching to a synthetic oil. To maybe help extend the life of the water pump. The cooling system was serviced right before I bought the car at Ford it still has the orange coolant in it, but only has about 20,000 miles on it.. question being is what are my best using in the way of a synthetic? I always use Motorcraft filters. Hopefully to hear from fellow Ford Edge. owner's. From what I have, read it would be hard to find a synthetic oil that's actually running group 3 4 & 5 Base oils..

Thank you for your help!!

Valvoline Full Syn High Mileage uses full synthetic base oil, if you feel ok with the syn blend version why not just upgrade to full syn?
GF-6 standard oils already provide timing chain protection. Those with Dexos approved logo offer even better protection.

Hope it helps!

credit:

You are way overthinking it. If you will consistently put 2-3K miles in 6 months on the engine, any commonly available synthetic will do fine and be a step up from the semi synthetic you're running now.

Short trips could take advantage of the synthetic oil. Supertech Syn, Cosco or amazon copies of Supertech also are fine. Pennzoil, Moble 1, Castrol Magnetec, Havoline Syn, Quaker State Ultimate, all would be more than enough for that application. Motorcraft is a good filter for that application.

Walmart is the best place to shop for oil stuff. good stock and much lower prices compared to autoparts stores.

You are way overthinking it. If you will consistently put 2-3K miles in 6 months on the engine, any commonly available synthetic will do fine and be a step up from the semi synthetic you're running now.

Short trips could take advantage of the synthetic oil. Supertech Syn, Cosco or amazon copies of Supertech also are fine. Pennzoil, Moble 1, Castrol Magnetec, Havoline Syn, Quaker State Ultimate, all would be more than enough for that application. Motorcraft is a good filter for that application.

Walmart is the best place to shop for oil stuff. good stock and much lower prices compared to autoparts stores.
I have always heard about Pennzoil and Quaker State with sludge build up, Castrol excessive oil blow by. I have seen Super tech, in Walmart 20k oil change interval or something it says on the container, I have also seen that Havoline in a six quart box, just don't know anything about it, never even seen a virgin oil analysis of it.. also seems awfully cheap.

I have always heard about Pennzoil and Quaker State with sludge build up, Castrol excessive oil blow by. I have seen Super tech, in Walmart 20k oil change interval or something it says on the container, I have also seen that Havoline in a six quart box, just don't know anything about it, never even seen a virgin oil analysis of it.. also seems awfully cheap.
Quaker State is the extra most bestest yummiest delish!:D

That’s nearly a complete list of old wives’ tales and misconceptions right there. But you did forget that Mobil 1 causes noise.

Don't believe any of that stuff. Sludge is a thing of the past (1990s) except in very few engines. Then the recommendation is just to change the oil more frequently. From an performance point of view, all oils of a type are nearly the same and fall in the "more than good enough" category for consumer applications. I run whichever synthetic I can get cheapest. $22 Pennzoil with a $10 rebate. $8 Quaker state ultimate durability on clearance, $22 moble1 and their $12 rebate. Shell RGT and its $12 rebate. I have run supertech but after rebates on the other brands, it is the high priced spread. :)

Oils are so good nowadays with the last few API ratings, all API rated oils are nearly equal. As long as you are running a synthetic, the engine insides will be very clean if you run to the manufacturers recommended interval. I don't buy into long OCI runs beyond 10K miles (my Toyota sienna specs 10K miles). When you can get oil this cheap why extend unless you don't like getting your back dirty. If that is true, why research oil at all. just get the premium from the dealership. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back