Which synthetic in my Tacoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
I have a new 2.4 L Tacoma that has 4k miles on it now. I have done two changes with dino, one at 1k miles and the other at 3k miles. At 5k I want to switch to synthetic for increased proctection in the winter (I live in Michigan), but I plan to stay on synthetics from here on out.

I put on a lot of miles, roughly 90 a day, and they are mostly freeway. I'm considering Mobil 1 and Redline. Ideally I would like to use Redline, but it is a bit costly and not as convenient to find. However, I have read that Toyota engines in general really like Redline. I figure that I could use Redline if my drain intervals are extended enough to warrant the increased cost over Mobil 1.

So I am wondering, between these two oils, which would you use and for what intervals? Also, if I am doing an extended drain, say 10k miles with Redline, should I change the oil filter halfway through?

Another option would be Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (Note it needs to say "Made in Germany). It is also fully synthetic. Don't forget also about the 5W-30 Delvac 1 or Amsoil 0W-30. But in any event you should (IMHO) change filters midway to the 10K miles. Also I would suggest (and others here will also) going maybe 6 or 7 K miles and doing an analysis before jumping into the 10K miles

I'd go with what Al said. I do think for Toyota's being they are prone to sludge, your best choices would be the oils with higher ester content such as RL, Amsoil S2k, and GC. Another good choice if your serious about extneded drains would be Amsoil S3k 5w-30. It has the strongest additive package in all the Amsoil line up. It's a very good oil from what I've read. Contact one of our site sponsors and see what they can do for you. Tooslick, Pablo and msparks can all help you out. They know their oil!!

I have a '95 Tacoma w/ the 2.4L engine ....

I generally run mine on either the Amsoil 0w-30 or 5w-30 - both do very well. I'd run either Redline or Mobil 1 in a 5w-30 grade year round.

This engine burns very clean and is not affected by sludge issues ....I run 15k-20k drain intervals in mine with no problems at all, under mostly highway driving conditions. I also use an oversized, Amsoil SDF-96 oil filter in place of the tiny toyota filter.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Hit the UOA section and search for Toyota.

You could go 10k miles without worrying about a filter change. You could also step up to a larger filter.

Synth oil choice depends on what is available or if you don't mind shopping online.

What are the guideline for changing oil in your engine? My 2002 Tacoma with the 3.4L V6 says 5000 or 7500 depending on driving conditions with a max of 6 months. I'm not sure how strict dealerships are when it comes to warranty work etc. Does anyone have any experience running extended intervals on a new Toyota w/respect to warranty work?

BTW, I used Mobil 1 5W30.

Thanks for the replies so far. I know where to get Redline online, but is there an online source for Amsoil?

mrdctaylor,
my manual also calls for changes every 5000 or 7500 depending on your driving conditions.

quote:

Originally posted by mrdctaylor:
What are the guideline for changing oil in your engine? My 2002 Tacoma with the 3.4L V6 says 5000 or 7500 depending on driving conditions with a max of 6 months. I'm not sure how strict dealerships are when it comes to warranty work etc. Does anyone have any experience running extended intervals on a new Toyota w/respect to warranty work?

BTW, I used Mobil 1 5W30.

Glad someone else said it before I did. I may get flamed for saying this here but...as long as you are still within warranty, I wouldn't extend the drain interval past whatever the longest interval for scheduled maintenance is as stated in your owners manual. Yea I know they have to prove this or prove that, I know about Mag/Moss but why invite trouble and the hassle that you could end up going through? The probability that there would be a problem is low (very low) but the possibility does exist. Play by their rules while your factory warranty is in tact then throw caution to the wind if you like.

Mikep

cool.gif
My .02, use Mobil 1 in whatever weight is recommended and change at the recommended intervals and you won't go wrong.

Just change it at 5K intervals (5K, 10K, 15K, etc) and use Mobil 1 5W30 with PureOne or M1 filter. Costs about $35, still less than Jiffy Lube!

BTW, the older 3.0 V6 engines are prone to sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back