Which sub do you have in HT system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hsu makes good subs. I had one of their lower end subs a long time ago, and liked it. When I moved to a larger place, I got an SVS cylinder sub that's been great, too.

I'm running the SVS 20-39 PC+ 12" downward firing tube sub, HSU makes some good subs, can't go wrong with either one of them
cheers3.gif

My opinion center channel is priority and most money should be spent on that foremost

I inherited a 12 inch Monitor by Paradigm and a couple towers and blew the good part of couple months wages getting the rest of the 7.1 system. In a 12x12 room only go to theater if I have to.

Some years ago I had a set of KEF 101 bookshelf speakers that were great in mids and highs. I looked for a sub but couldn't find one that didn't degrade the overall sound.

So I bought a set of Mirage M1s instead. Absolute Sound magazine rated them as the best speakers in the world at the time. No need for a sub with those guys. A set of used M1s might be an option. Very good sound but also very large!

I still have the KEF 101 speakers and I'm once again thinking of getting a sub - for a second room. I have to assume that sub technology will have come a long way in 30 years.

I have a Vizio 5.1 with the wireless subwoofer that i paid around $225 for..i have a very large house and i cant even go half way with the sound without it booming the whole house.. cant imagine what a $1000 subwoofer rated for a thousand watts would do.

My living room is open to the kitchen and dining room and an open staircase to the 2nd floor. At very low frequencies the 10" is pushing so much air that you can hear it passing through the port when you should only be feeling it. Very distracting. One of the reasons I am considering a sealed sub. Also considering two 12" subs, one in each corner to help smooth the response.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I have a Vizio 5.1 with the wireless subwoofer that i paid around $225 for..i have a very large house and i cant even go half way with the sound without it booming the whole house..

Thats's the problem with a small sub... it'll just make booming sounds instead of delivering bass that you can actually feel in your chest.

I have a Velodyne SPL 1000. 10" acoustic suspension w 750 watts rms/1500 dynamic. I think a bass reflex enclosure does a better job of "exciting" a room, but acoustic suspension is faster, and sounds more like music vs low frequency noise. I have had this for better than 20 years. I would not hesitate to replace it with another tomorrow. FYI, I have a HSU (shoe) center channel, and I am very happy with it.

Originally Posted By: dave123
My opinion center channel is priority and most money should be spent on that foremost

I already have a nice one...only need a sub...

Originally Posted By: dave123
Under a grand SVS

Any particular model?

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I'm running the SVS 20-39 PC+ 12" downward firing tube sub, HSU makes some good subs, can't go wrong with either one of them
cheers3.gif

I have a rather large living room area and I don't know if a 12 would be enough. I have a home made sealed enclosure with a 15" Adire Tempest driver, driven by a 250 watt plate amp, but the amp quit working, and I didn't care for the sound quality, or the level of output when it was working. I think I should've gone ported and double the power, but I decided this time to just buy a ready-to-use sub...sounds like there are some good options...

Originally Posted By: ozric
I have an old 10" SVS box sub that was great in my old apartment, but the house has a more open area and I need a larger one. I am looking at a 15S from https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers

The 15S looks comparable HSU, has a bit more power, and is sealed...I tend to like the sound of sealed, but ported can sound good too...I'm gonna hafta see if I can find some reviews on it...it's also priced in the HSU's range...good suggestion!

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I have a Vizio 5.1 with the wireless subwoofer that i paid around $225 for..i have a very large house and i cant even go half way with the sound without it booming the whole house.. cant imagine what a $1000 subwoofer rated for a thousand watts would do.

It isn't as much about how loud they can get, it's more about sounding good when they get loud....most powered subs can get loud, it's just that not all of them sound good doing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back