Which SN+ or SP XW-30s are actual 30 weights currently?

I have been reading about some 30 weight oils that have trended toward being thick 20 weights. Which are still true 30 weights?

I believe the answer is they are all "true 30 weights".
There isn't something being labeled XW-30 that isn't actually in accordance with the accepted range. With the exception of non approved oils and those eventually investigated by the PQIA and pulled off shelves.
If you're asking for a 30 weight on the high end of the viscosity, try these:

You can hardly read a thread here without tripping over some comment about PP, PUP and even PPHM being either "Thin 30s" or "thick 20s" and theories about them being the lines shell passes off it's lighter base stocks on. Even plain Mobil was mentioned to be thin, and you had to go to the HM version to be solidly in the 30 grade. @Hogwash made a comment above right along those lines.

I'm talking about the difference between what the bottle says, and what the VOA says. ;)

Maybe some slight variance but still within grade. Each grade has a range.

I agree, but I think the contention is that certain 30's are very close to the low end of the range. Too close to stay in grade, unfortunately, based on UOAs available on this forum.

Not slight in some cases.
PUP 5w30 advertises 10.6 cSt at 100c
Many VOAs range it from 9.6 to 9.3 at 100c.
That's not exactly slight variance

I agree, but I think the contention is that certain 30's are very close to the low end of the range. Too close to stay in grade, unfortunately, based on UOAs available on this forum.

Perhaps you should change the title of your thread as all Xw30 oils will fall within the 30 grade range, and is the answer to your original question "which SN+ or SP XW-30s are actual 30 weights currently?"

Whether an oil is on the high/low end of the range, it is still within range. I suggested that you change the title of the thread because now you seem to be straying into a debate about low end range oils staying in grade.

Neil

Not slight in some cases.
PUP 5w30 advertises 10.6 cSt at 100c
Many VOAs range it from 9.6 to 9.3 at 100c.
That's not exactly slight variance

I think you'll find that the allowed or anticipated variance in measured values for both UOA's and VOA's is higher than you'd like. You don't get XOM lab precision for $20.00.

Now, batch variance is also a thing, so if a particular product concerns you, reaching out to the manufacturer to see what their allowable deviation range for the shipped product may be beneficial.

Back