Which scooter to choose

Looking for a little help please. I have the option of a 2002 Kymco Bet and Win 250 with 7k miles for $1000 or a Yamaha Majesty 400 for $1300 with 40k miles. What’s the better ride? Thanks for any help

What is your typical use? If more speeds above 45, I'd go with the 400. If a lot of 35 to 45, the kymco will use less fuel. Both scoots will do 55+ the 400 will just do it easier.

The majority will be around 50mph. I’m a little skeptical of the 40k on the Yamaha. That’s seems a bit much? What do you think?

50mph , I'd go with the low mileage kymco.
I had a kymco super 8 150cc. It was quick to 45, topped out at 58 . Ran great got about 75mpg.

You dont say how large you are but if your under 170 lbs the 250 will be just fine at 50 as long as you dont have any long steep hills. On the flats you might even see 60 but it will be screaming. I would prefer something in the 350-400 range if you have much traffic or you have hills to deal with but 40K is too much for an air cooled engine unless you are ready to do a rebuild soon.

Keep this in mind. Every scooter I've been on had a generous speedo. At 58mph, mine would read 65mph. It would not do 65 on flat ground. Almost all scooters read at least 5-8 mph faster than they are really going.

For that matter, many motorcycles suffer from the same ailment...
Just an initial thought, I’d choose the Bet and Win for less $$ if I wasn’t needing the higher speed capability of the Majesty 400. I don’t have enough experience to understand reliability of the Majesty 400 with that kind of miles on it. How well does the CVT hold up?

40K mi is too much. Unless you want a project vehicle to rebuild over time, or they lower the price to account for the lifespan left before significant expenses. Depends a bit on what's been rebuilt already.

Reliability for a scooter that needs to go 50MPH means you need a larger budget, depending on location.

If the Yamaha is in good shape choose it. 400cc scooters are really motorcycles disguised as scooters. My 400cc Suzuki is very capable on long rides. I've heard good things about Yamahas too plus you can easily ride two up like I sometimes do.

burgman.jpg

I have lots of experience with many motorcycles and scooters-go for the yamaha-far superior quality -40k is no problem assuming decent maint was done-main plus would be parts and service manuals are always available for japanese mc and scooters- not so much for china built -newer kymco are pretty good (post 2015 or so) but still not up to japan wuality levels.If you can find a abs model Honda reflex that is one of the best.

Don't know anything about the Kymco, but have had two Majesty's....fine motors, run interstate speeds easily. I never put that many miles on one so not sure how long the CVT's last; however, a friend with a Suz 400 was up near 100K before having his rebuilt. If you are mechanical, or know someone who is, the CVT is not rocket science...pretty simple stuff.

Back