which rider mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with a John Deere,the value of them holds up.My father has one that is fuel injected powered by a Kawasaki engine.It starts up great one first crank with the key.

The higher end John Deere models are over my budget.. so the kawasaki is out.

I have been reading alot of other forums and boards etc. The cub cadet 1045 has a servicable tranny with a kohler engine..but seems to have a little trouble with the belts/pullys.

So far the JD 105 which has the nearly unservicable tranny, the cub cadet with servicable tranny.. or the husqvarna 2042LS which i dont know much about. are my top choices.

$1800 or less is my budget.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
The higher end John Deere models are over my budget.. so the kawasaki is out.

I have been reading alot of other forums and boards etc. The cub cadet 1045 has a servicable tranny with a kohler engine..but seems to have a little trouble with the belts/pullys.

So far the JD 105 which has the nearly unservicable tranny, the cub cadet with servicable tranny.. or the husqvarna 2042LS which i dont know much about. are my top choices.

$1800 or less is my budget.

CC fixed the belt/pully problem in 06,like I said I use mine year round w/out any problems.MTD is the parent company (the financer`s)it`s still built the way cub wants it built.

[/quote]

CC fixed the belt/pully problem in 06,like I said I use mine year round w/out any problems.MTD is the parent company (the financer`s)it`s still built the way cub wants it built. [/quote]

Sorry, I have to call you on this.
All the Cub Cadets I have looked at lately are all MTD.
MTD frame, MTD tranny ect...
They are a far cry from the quality of a real Cub Cadet built before the MTD acquisition. Their higher end garden tractors are still a Cub design and a well made tractor, but the lawn tractors are high priced MTD's with a fancy paint job!

You get what you pay for and my father has never had any big problems with any John Deere riding lawnmower he has ever owned except one.He had a 318 that blew up an egine once,replaced it with a higher performance Kohler, 18 HP than it originally had.Plus the parts for a John Deere are easy to get.

Originally Posted By: cronk

MTD doesn't make transmissions, they use Hydrogear transaxles for all lawn tractors. Even the 'higher end' 2 and 3K series garden tractors are a full MTD design. They have been for 20 something years. It's just a heavier more serviceable design than the lawn tractors.

Joel

Last edited:
John Deere is my recommendation. I have a 1987 Model 160 with a 14 horse Kawasaki. The motor doesnt use a drop of oil and starts easily. The only repair has been a few broken mower deck parts and a weld repair on the deck. I change the mower belt every 5 years and change the oil once every 2 years. I use dino straight 30W either Havoline or Valvoline and a SuperTech or Purolator filter. I mow 15-20 times per year and about 1 hour per mow. The tractor is also used to haul other lawn equipment around like log splitters and utility trailers, etc. I would change the oil more often but even after 1 year the oil looks crystal clear and with the filter I figure I should be able to get 50 hours on a change. You cant beat John Deere and I wouldnt hesitate to get one with a Briggs motor. I have witnessed Briggs motors lasting 30+ years of regular use with maybe 1 rebuild. The other huge advantage of buying a John Deere is parts. I broke a mower spring two years ago, drove 5 mins down the road to my John Deere dealer, changed the spring and in less than 30 mins I was up and running again.

Last edited:

CC fixed the belt/pully problem in 06,like I said I use mine year round w/out any problems.MTD is the parent company (the financer`s)it`s still built the way cub wants it built. [/quote]

They are a far cry from the quality of a real Cub Cadet built before the MTD acquisition. Their higher end garden tractors are still a Cub design and a well made tractor, but the lawn tractors are high priced MTD's with a fancy paint job! [/quote]

Ok,I may be off a bit on the lower end Cub,but the lower end JD is not any better.

FWIW, I have a JD LT155. (Not the same as the L series you see at Lowes) It's going on 9 years old and I've been happy with it.

WHAT I LIKE: 15hp Kohler engine(flawless), cuts great, fairly quiet, great turning radius.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE While the "Freedom 42" deck cuts and mulches great, the timing belt that allows counter rotating blades is somewhat delicate--I hit a rock once that snapped the belt and cause all sorts of blade-clashing havoc.

My post regarding the transmission is mentioned above. I really hate that JD called this a "sealed" unit. I had good luck changing the oil, but man what a PITA to do it.

I've had to replace a few parts over the years, but they were all due to my mistakes or abuse--overall a great machine.

I do have to admit that I covet the 2500 series Cub Cadets, but you're looking at $3k plus to get into one of those......

The MTD transmissions I was referring to are the gear drives with the variator, not the Hydro's. Obviously they arent made by MTD.
I would take a low end John Deere over a low end MTD or AYP any day!

The MTD transmissions I was referring to are the gear drives with the variator, not the Hydro's. Obviously they arent made by MTD.
I would take a low end John Deere over a low end MTD or AYP any day!

You're correct, I not sure where MTD sources the variator/shift on the go "transmission". Those are not even really a gear drive. The are just a grease filled differential case, fed by the three sheaved variator and fixed pulley. I'm with ya. What a pile of junk. Not knowing any better at the time, I owned an MTD 600 series wally world special (bought used,
Joel

I have a JD LA110 with a 19.5HP B&S and automatic tranny, that I bought from Lowe's in summer '07. I use it to mow 1 bumpy acre once or twice a week in the summer. My JD has had no problems to speak of, so far.

From another forum:

Repost of Slammer's Rules...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
(Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

Now go forth and shop and try and have fun!

I think in the same price range all mowers are basically the same. The cub cadet has a 'servicable transmission' which means you can drain the oil right? where the jd has a 'sealed unit' which means you leave the oil in forever unless you want to take it apart or try a topside oil change.

the other variant is kohler courage vs. briggs

I have never owned a kohler, so i know nothing about them.

The craftsman/husqvarnas are the same as far as i can tell.

the other brands such as snapper, toro, ariens, yardman are the same i think also.

Is there a honda engine in anything except the Sams Club only rider? I think its a black max or something like that. I saw it on ebay.

Would a honda engine in that model be better than a briggs or kohler?

I think the B&S motor is bullet proof!! My Kohler Courage doesn`t seem to get very good publicity.Everybody say`s it`s not as good as the magnum engine.Here again,all I can say is I have not had any problems with it.If you go on the JD forum,you will see many complaints about John Deere as well.

Last edited:
I went to Home Depot today to compare the JD112 vs the Cub 1045. A lonely worker came over and talked to me almost an hour. He pointed out that the Cub Cadet was the way to go. The blades are designed in a way that mulches the grass, some how they criss cross or something..also he showed me the side vents that the grass comes out of, the ones on the cub are twice as big as the JD. The seat is much better on the cub, also the springs are twice as thick. The turning radius is insane on the cub vs all others too..he poined out. He went on and on talking about the Kohler engine.. how it was in just about everything except models owned by the briggs company.. He told me he sells Cub Cadets 3 to 1 over JD. (no doubt because nobody else sells Cub except home depot)...

So in summary this guy wasnt making any commission..didnt care if i bought the biggest or smallest.. or bought anything at all.

I have talked myself in and out of this cub a few times..and acutally threw up my hands and said i was going to buy the JD112 solely because it is a consumer reports 'best buy' and the resale value will be there later on.

I spent about 2 hours on the net this morning, looking at Snapper vs. Ariens... all seem the same..mostly junk.. so for now i am scratching those

Originally Posted By: gd9704
From another forum:

Repost of Slammer's Rules...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
(Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

Now go forth and shop and try and have fun!

What?
Did that happen to you?
Sounds like you have some expirencence!

Now, to the topic.
Most mowers have the same engine, but watch out for these cheap bodies cheap, junky bodies with good engines

Most others are pretty good.
By the way, I have had expirence with those junky troy-built bodies that fall apart, and the engine run great to this day.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back