Which one would you pick

A curious conversation came up the other day and I wanted to get everyone's perspective here. Chevy Sonic vs Ford focus both being sticks and assuming maintenance and miles are equal which would you prefer on drivetrain alone the 2.0 gdi or the 1.4T which do you suspect would last longer be more enjoyable to own etc. In a world where we cannot have simplicity anymore which technology do you prefer to go with? Which drivetrain for these two vehicles in particular would you lean towards.

I would choose the ford focus. Having driven both at work the ford is significantly better in my opinion. I also believe the 2.0 is probably more reliable than the 1.4t

I would choose the ford focus. Having driven both at work the ford is significantly better in my opinion. I also believe the 2.0 is probably more reliable than the 1.4t
What do you believe is significantly better?

As they age, the gdi engine in the Ford is going to be a headache, not that the Chevy doesn't have some of it's own headaches. Had the 1.4T in a Cruze auto and it got 40 mpg real world. Might pick that one myself just out of familiarity. Parts will probably be cheaper.

I'd pick the Ford, as long as it is the 5 speed.
I'd stay far, far away from that automatic in any vehicle.

I'd choose the Sonic. I won't voluntarily choose a vehicle with a direct-injected engine (Focus) and the DOHC 24 valve turbo of that little Sonic is just a cool little engine. It definitely won't embarrass anything at a stoplight but I think the ownership experience would be more gratifying over time.

You wouldn't worry about the gdi stuff? The s level trim is also pretty bare bones. 😂 Crank rear windows.
What's wrong with crank windows?

As for the GDI, potential carbon issues could be addressed by many factors including (but not limited to):
-reducing OCI
-better quality fuel/oil
-catch can

What's wrong with crank windows?

As for the GDI, potential carbon issues could be addressed by many factors including (but not limited to):
-reducing OCI
-better quality fuel/oil
-catch can
Well if you have kids they like to kick them with their feet and roll them down some. I've learned that the hard way 🤣

Back