Which one...Pennzoil Platinum or Motorcraft Syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Disregard cost and availability....why the PP? Will it protect my engine better and keep it cleaner?

Protect your engine better? Maybe, maybe not. Some old posts by Terry seem to indicate that he thinks PP is among the best when it comes to boundary lubrication. He recommended PP 10W-30 to at least one flat tappet engine that I saw and commented on PP's excellence in this regard.

The fact that PP meets both Honda HTO-06 and GM4718M while Kendall GT-1 FS/Motorcraft FS do not (and CP had to come up with a new formulation to do so) tells me PP will provide better deposit control under high temps.

Will these factors provide any benefit in your application? Probably not. But what it does do is indicate that PP is better overall oil than Motorcraft FS, and could potentially provide additional margin of safety if something went awry.

The truth is that engine will last a very long time on regular dino oil, you buy synthetic for extra cleanliness, margin of safety and possibly extended OCIs. Why not go with the full synthetic that offers better cleanliness (more calcium) and more protection (meets GM4718M HT0-06, both high temp specs)?

Motorcraft oils, both syn blend and full syn, are good oils. But when it comes right down to it, PP offers more of what makes synthetics desirable in the first place. The fact that it can be obtained for less money is just icing on the cake.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Disregard cost and availability....why the PP? Will it protect my engine better and keep it cleaner?

Protect your engine better? Maybe, maybe not. Some old posts by Terry seem to indicate that he thinks PP is among the best when it comes to boundary lubrication. He recommended PP 10W-30 to at least one flat tappet engine that I saw and commented on PP's excellence in this regard.

The fact that PP meets both Honda HTO-06 and GM4718M while Kendall GT-1 FS/Motorcraft FS do not (and CP had to come up with a new formulation to do so) tells me PP will provide better deposit control under high temps.

Will these factors provide any benefit in your application? Probably not. But what it does do is indicate that PP is better overall oil than Motorcraft FS, and could potentially provide additional margin of safety if something went awry.

The truth is that engine will last a very long time on regular dino oil, you buy synthetic for extra cleanliness, margin of safety and possibly extended OCIs. Why not go with the full synthetic that offers better cleanliness (more calcium) and more protection (meets GM4718M HT0-06, both high temp specs)?

Motorcraft oils, both syn blend and full syn, are good oils. But when it comes right down to it, PP offers more of what makes synthetics desirable in the first place. The fact that it can be obtained for less money is just icing on the cake.

Thanks....you've given me some info I can actually use to help me make my decision. I appreciate that. I'll most likely use the Pennzoil then. I just hope they don't change the formula in a negative way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back