Which one is fresh?

IMG_20210426_173230739_HDR.jpg

Guess which gasoline is only two weeks old.

One bottle was grabbed of the pipeline two or three weeks ago and has set in the back of my truck since. The other was taken from a generator that hasnt ran and still doesn't run for over 6 years and was possibly cut with fresher gas 8 months ago.

well the way you put it.. I'd normally guess left is old... but I'm now thinking right is old? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Neither....one is two weeks old. If that was a donut, nobody would touch it.
Well I guess you are right. But is gasoline terms the two week one is fresh. It was still crude oil two weeks before that.

The one on the left is the fresh one. It turned that color after sitting in the sun for less than a day. Guess there is a reason that the terminal guys use brown bottles for some things but it will still test fine for my pourposes.

The one on the right had a can of sea foam added to the tank when I put it in the truck a couple of hours ago so it could slosh around on the drive home. Smells nasty. I don’t know if the guys added fresh fuel when they tried to use it during the derecho but the generator has sat full of gas in an enclosed trailer for over 6 years. The carb is sticky and of course it won’t run on its own.

View attachment 55400

Guess which gasoline is only two weeks old.

One bottle was grabbed of the pipeline two or three weeks ago and has set in the back of my truck since. The other was taken from a generator that hasnt ran and still doesn't run for over 6 years and was possibly cut with fresher gas 8 months ago.

When the stuff begains to get a yellow tint it is going off, green it is gone and turned to varnish. You can smell it also, I always know when someone sends me some old junkyard injectors, they stink to high heaven.

Yeah something about that pale yellow color (on the right) just doesn't sit well with me. Also I thought maybe the left side was treated with stabilizer or something else to turn color.
After the "all day in sunlight" comment, I wondered why fuel jugs are translucent if that exposes the fuel to sunlight... but if fuel jugs were dark, you would not be able to see the fuel level in the jug! LOL :D

The container on the right looks like the DIESEL fuel I drain out of my fuel filter every couple months!

The fuel here in Iowa is certainly a funny color. I thought gasoline was usually clear... My E0 for my OPE is very close to clear anyway.

Just my $0.02

Back