Which one Chevron Supereme or DelVac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasnt sure which one recommend for my Jeep '96 Cherokee 4.0 with 130,000 miles.

I saw Mobil 1 Delvac 1300s 15w-40 at Autozone and I could not find Chevron Delvac 1 5w-40. I am running with Mobil 1 Full Syn 10w-30 (now 8500 miles).

I awaits hear from you guys recommend. I checked the search on BITOG and there have so many info and hard to decide.

Mobile 1 delvac is thier best oil ..mobile 1300 is is not a synthetic..just a very good oil ..mainly used for diesel engine applications..though don't hesitate to use it in your gasser..

Where can I find Mobil 1 Delvac 1 (5w-40). I could not find anywhere in Autozone, Costco, Target, Walmart and They only have is Mobil 1 Delvac 1300S 15w-40, Chevron Supreme 15w-40, and Chevron Delo 400 15w-40.

What is your recommend where to find the Delvac 1 5w-40? How much are they cost? (6 qt or 1 gal bottle)

[ May 20, 2004, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: fasty ]

You can buy Delvac 1 at lots of truck stops. Go onto Mobil's website and you can search for stores in your area. Also, the Mobil 1 truck and suv is sold at lots of wal-marts and such. Its supposed to be the same thing as delvac 1. I run this oil in my 96' grand cherokee with the 4.0 and it seems to work well. Im intrested to see how this oil does in yours.

Ok, I went so many truck shops. They even don't have Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40. I went for 15w-40 Shell Rotella full syn. Will it hurt my jeep's motor with the 15w-40?

I stopped by jeep dealer and they told me to not use 15w-40. I thought maybe they are not exactly hardcore oil forum involve like you guys know more the knowledge.

Last question, Shell Rotella 15w-40's rating said CH4 or SL and I could not find any info on my jeep's manual regard the oil API rating.

Let me know! thanks

[ May 20, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: fasty ]

fasty,
See if your local Wal-Mart has Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula 5W-40.It is supposed to be similar,if not the same as,Delvac 1.
 -

Mark

Of course DC would not "approve" Rotella 15W40... they probably recommended 5W-30, for CAFE reasons.

But for 130 000 miles, the Rotella will be excellent, and the SL rating is just the icing on the cake.

Vuarra

BTW, the API rating would be on the engine oil cap

Yes, I made mistake, It's a Shell Rotella full syn 5w-40 (not 15w-40 sorry misunderstand) and I went ahead replace the old oil and new oil put in my jeep.

It seems running superb smooth and quiet. What is your recommend how many miles should i have full change oil on Shell Rotella 5w-40 fullsyn.

rugerman1: Yeah, I went looked many as 15 shops and stores as not available finding Mobil Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula 5W-40. I decide went to Shell Rotella 5w-40 full syn instead.

Vuarra: I did checked the API rating on oil cap but it says look up the jeep manual book. I looked the manual book and it says winter 5w-30 and summer 10w-30. It does not tell me which API rating acceptable for the motor function with the oil requirement.

Is there any negative on the Shell Rotella 5w-40 full syn? Please let me know!! thanks again

[ May 20, 2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: fasty ]

quote:

Originally posted by fasty:

Is there any negative on the Shell Rotella 5w-40 full syn? Please let me know!! thanks again

Yes

1) Rotella has phosphorus levels that may lead to reduced life of the Cat Converter.

2) Rotella has higher ash levels than gas oils that may lead to higher combustion chamber deposits.

3) Shell doesn't give out neat little key fobs or bumper stickers for free.

I placed the reasons in reverse order of importance to confuse some of you.
grin.gif

Shell Rotella T may have more phosphorus than many passenger car motor oils but it is also thicker than the factory recommended 5W-30 and 10W-30 motor oils and as such you will have lower oil consumption. The net amount of phosphorus that will end up in your catalytic converter is probably about the same as you would get from a typical 5W-30 or 10W-30 API SL motor oil.

Combustion chamber deposits could be a problem if you have very high oil consumption. Your oil consumption should be lower with Rotella T 5W-40 than you would get with any conventional API SL 5W-30 or 10W-30 passenger car motor oil. I think that the amount of combustion chamber deposits you get from Rotella T 5W-40 will be about the same as if you were using one of the two the factory recommended oil viscosities.

The Rotella T 5W-40 may remove a lot of crud that has built up over the years so I would suggest changing the oil at about 3,000 miles and if you continue to use Rotella T 5W-40 in the future I would think you could change your oil every 6,000-7,500 miles or every six to nine months depending on your driving conditions.

[ May 20, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

satterfi: Ah ok, I guess I ll change oil at 3000 miles instead. Thanks for 411 info.

Sin City: I understand what you talk about. I used to run Mobil 1 10w-30 for years and I also running Lube Control for Oil and Fuel Power should be clean up upper chamber internal.

Anyway, I see both of you guys have some negative on Rotella and I guess I will change full oil at 3000 miles instead return back to Mobil 1 10w-30 or 0w-40.

I'd keep using the Rotella syn.

The operative word in my comments is may.

On the plus side, the phosphorus level should give better wear protection and the ash level is due to the high detergent level which should keep your engine cleaner.

IMO, the plusses out weigh the potential negatives.

quote:

On the plus side, the phosphorus level should give better wear protection and the ash level is due to the high detergent level which should keep your engine cleaner.

I agree with satterfi. In my previous post I didn't know that you had been using Mobil 1 before in your Jeep. Since you have been using a synthetic oil your engine should be fairly clean so you should be able to go longer than 3,000 miles or three months until your next oil change unless you are driving your Jeep under very extreme conditions. Depending on your driving conditions you could be safe for as long as 6,000-7,500 miles or about six to nine months between oil changes assuming you continue to use a synthetic oil.

I think Rotella T 5W-40 is a very good choice for your Jeep. The 4.0L Jeep engine is known to do well with a slightly thicker oil than the manufacturer recommends.

[ May 21, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Why not mix 50% Mobil 1 10w-30 and 50% Mobil 1 15w-50? These are the most widely available synths and it seems like the resulting visc. would be just right for So. Cal.

Dave

I looked inside the valve area and it look super clean as usual. It shouldnt give me any problem. *finger crossed*

I will continue till 3000 miles and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:

quote:

I agree with satterfi. In my previous post I didn't know that you had been using Mobil 1 before in your Jeep. Since you have been using a synthetic oil your engine should be fairly clean so you should be able to go longer than 3,000 miles or three months until your next oil change unless you are driving your Jeep under very extreme conditions. Depending on your driving conditions you could be safe for as long as 6,000-7,500 miles or about six to nine months between oil changes assuming you continue to use a synthetic oil.

I think Rotella T 5W-40 is a very good choice for your Jeep. The 4.0L Jeep engine is known to do well with a slightly thicker oil than the manufacturer recommends.

n8wvi: Let me ask you a question. If i do combine 10w-30 (50%) and 15w-50 (50%) will make into 5w-40?

If so, I might go this process in next change oil.

quote:

Originally posted by n8wvi:
Why not mix 50% Mobil 1 10w-30 and 50% Mobil 1 15w-50? These are the most widely available synths and it seems like the resulting visc. would be just right for So. Cal.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by fasty:
n8wvi: Let me ask you a question. If i do combine 10w-30 (50%) and 15w-50 (50%) will make into 5w-40?

Most definitely not. You can't mix a 10w oil and a 15w oil and end up with a 5w oil. You'll probably end with a thin 40wt on the top end though. More than likely you'll end up with a 15w40 oil, and it'll be somewhere around 13 to 14 cst at 100c.

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
fasty,
See if your local Wal-Mart has Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula 5W-40.It is supposed to be similar,if not the same as,Delvac 1.
 -

Mark

I still haven't seen this oil here in SA, TX
mad.gif

I ran Delo 15W-40 in my 93 Grand Cherokee 4.0 in all temperatures. Started fine at -20C, ran fine at +52C ambient temps. I don't have to worry so much about summer or winter as I do where I go. Visiting customers I can be in both environments the same week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back