which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
got 3 quick oil places here, vavoline, quaker state, and penzoil, all cost about the same which is the best synthetic of those 3?
confused.gif

None of those three are real synthetics though. They all use a group 3 base oil. Are you sure none of them will sell you Mobil 1? Up here it's common to find quick lube places selling Mobil 1, as a matter of fact I don't think there is a single one that doesn't stock M1.

Mind you, you're always better off changing your own oil, not only do you save money, but you know the job is done right.

[ October 20, 2002, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Now Patman, bubba didn't ask anything about Mobil 1. Help me out here, will ya?
grin.gif

Tim H. Now I'm not going to get into the filter debate of which filter is best, that could take years, but I will say this about those so called bad Pennzoil/FRAM filters or FRAM filters in general. For the person doing 3k, 4k, or 5k oil changes they work just fine. I have been doing 5k oil changes for years using those filters and have never had any problems. Now, if you are one of those using all those HIGH MILEAGE DRAIN OILS and pushing them to their limits, then I would seriously look at K&N, Mobil 1, and others. But for the average consumer, it don't make a hill of beans. FRAMS filter media works as good as any, it seems to be the cardboard end caps that has every one concerned and maybe the anti drainback valve. But again, using them for 3k to 5k, they work just fine.

mobil 1 just not available,unless i do it myself, and working 84 hr weeks on night shift, aint gonna happen! fram filters not a prob. i take my own filters. so far i see 1 vote for pensoil. anyone else?
grin.gif

ok thats 2 vote for penzoil, anyone else? that works for me the penzoil quick change is the closest to the house
smile.gif

Sorry Johnny, I didn't mean to take money from your kid's college funds!
grin.gif

As far as your statement regarding Fram's and 3-5k intervals, what about all those people who find they have more noise on a cold start with Fram? I've seen hundreds of people say this over my many years on the net. Switching to anything but Fram then cures their cold start noises.

Sorry all but a spade is a spade. Here is a virgin analysis of the Pennzoil Fake Synthetic.
I used the regular Pennzoil Yellow bottle SL 10/30 to breakin a 02 automobile,after 2650 miles it had more adds including Moly than this stuff.
IMO the Group III stuff has a cold weather performance advantage only. Now the new Chevron and Havoline Group III's might be a different story,but I have not seen these oils used yet.

If they have Valvoline Synpower that would be my choice out of what you have listed,if not,close your eyes and toss a coin. For cold weather performance you might if wanted take a look at the new Phillips Trop Artic 5/30 in a OTC type dino. Is that brand available at any of those lube centers?

I would prefer Mobil Drive Clean over this,gets jobs done
wink.gif

chrome 0
lead 1 pipes
aluminum 1 pipes
silicon 2
Moly 36
sodium 0
magnesium 12
tin 0
zinc 716
potassium 0
phosphorus 647
calcium 1580

TBN 8

Vis @100c 11.0 30wt

[ October 21, 2002, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Until recently I've been using Fram filters and have for over 30 years with no KNOWN problems. That said, and knowing what I know now, why would I continue to use them when there are so many filters out there that are AT LEAST as good and in most cases better, and cost the same or even LESS? In the last year before I started doing my own oil/filter changes again, quicky lube places have failed to tighten the drain plug TWICE, and overfilled my 4 quart Honda engine by 1 FULL QUART once!
nono.gif
If these guys didn't have a job changing your oil, they'd prolly be changing the oil (maybe) in the McDonald's deep fryer. With the fact that they never fully drain your oil (gotta get you back on the road in 10 minutes or less), I've come to the realization that I can no longer afford NOT to change my own oil. Nobody will take better care of your car than the owner.

Johnny,
Just adding a comment about those Fram filters causing startup valve train noise like Patman mentioned. I used Frams for years and I had startup noise on most mornings, (thought it was just a little valve adjust that I needed to do) never associated the noise to the filters. I read an article talking about it, changed my filter (no oil, just filter) and the noise went away. I have not had that noise since, and I have been using ABF (Anything But Fram) filters since then. They were rated number 1 years ago (just like CastrolGTX), but times have changed, newer filter brands are making better filters these days and Fram is just living on reputation at the moment..
see y'all
Rando

Bubba,

Buy a six pack of Mobil 1 at walmart and take it with you to the quick lube ...they will be glad to install it for you for about $12-$15 dollars. These places make most of their profits off of labor anyhow. The bulk oil they use costs them about 75 cents a quart and they pay about $2.00 for a cheap filter - the rest of the $25.00 service is all labor costs.

While you're at it, pick up a better oil filter, Like a "PUR 1" and take that as well ....

TooSlick

Originally posted by TooSlick:
[QB]Bubba,

Buy a six pack of Mobil 1 at walmart and take it with you to the quick lube ...they will be glad to install it for you for about $12-$15 dollars. These places make most of their profits off of labor anyhow. The bulk oil they use costs them about 75 cents a quart and they pay about $2.00 for a cheap filter - the rest of the $25.00 service is all labor costs.

You better stand there and make sure that they put the oil in your engine, and it doesn't wind up in their trunk. -Joe

maybe i would be better off just to go to the dealer where they use toy. brand filter and oil. its only 27.00 for a change but takes about an hr. by the time its all said and done. but they have more to lose if they screw up. me as a customer who buys 2 new toyotas every 5 to 6 yrs. besides i was told toy. brand oil is m-1.
grin.gif

Well Johnny...... I hope the point got across from the other posts about the Fram filters. My reason is the same, but happened to me about 3 years before I even knew anyhting about this site. I found out when Fram wasn't available in my size, so I went with a Deutche. Noise went away, thought maybe my head, then went back to Fram and noises came back. Well, I added the 2+2 and it kept coming out to FRAM......just my Humble opinion............

$27 US? That's insane! Up here the dealers charge $29 CDN, which is only $18 US, and Walmart only charges $19 CDN, which is only $12 US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back