Which oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK2

Hey guys, we bought a 96 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 with 103k miles two weeks ago. The car has been declared as non-operational vehicle since 2007 and the previous owner did'nt drive it for two years.

The current oil looks clean and clear (as seen on the dipstick), but when I checked the oil cap, there were tiny rust-like particles under the cap. Also there's a rusty metal thing inside (very near) the refilling area, but the other components look clean.

Is this caused by not using the vehicle that long? What kind of oil to use to atleast gently clean the engine? I just put a bottle of Regane 2 days ago.

Any suggestion/s will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

That's what I thought. Don't you think that it's better to put a regular oil first in it to kinda flush the engine then run it for few hundred miles then put the Pennzoil Platinum?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Loopie

The current oil looks clean and clear...

With that in mind, simply heat the engine up real good, drain thoroughly, replace with a quality filter (not Fram), and refill with PP!

If it were my car, I would add a pint of MMO to the oil, drive the car about 100 miles or so. Then drain the oil, change the filter (good quality filter), and refill with Pennzoil Platinum oil.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
If it were my car, I would add a pint of MMO to the oil, drive the car about 100 miles or so. Then drain the oil, change the filter (good quality filter), and refill with Pennzoil Platinum oil.

AD

+1 , except no need for the MMO snake oil.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but have you actually started the engine? Does it sound OK? Does it leak or use oil? What does the exhaust look like? Anything else on how the engine performs that you can share with us?

Originally Posted By: Loopie
So Yes with the MMO?

Go ahead, but you'll just be wasting your money. Using MMO is a "feel good" move, the only thing it does is make you feel good that you put something "special" in your oil.

I use synthetic oil in my rigs because it makes me feel better. But for my application, I could just as easily use reg oil. But I like the idea of using synthetic. Same difference here, if using MMO makes you feel better, then I say go for it.

I used MMO for the last 250 miles of PP 5W-30, and I do think it did some cleaning...

However, the oil was filthy when I originally got my car. If the thread-starters oil is clean, I wouldn't worry about it...

Personally, I'd do a "baseline" by just changing with a conventional oil or even a high mileage oil first...

Last edited:
The current oil looks clean, what concerns me is the rusty like metal near (inside the engine) the oil fill hole and under the oil cap when I first checked it.

If MMO wouldnt do any harm, I'll try it since its not that expensive.

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

AD

+1 this sounds like a good idea to me.

Ok so I had the car registered today after 2 weeks of long wait! I drove the car in the freeway for few minutes, the engine pulls strong and no hesitations. However when I parked it and opened then oil filler cap, I saw a small amount of brwonish milky thing??? And before driving the vehicle this morning at 7am, I saw a small amount of white smoke that lasted for a minute.

Is there anything to worry about right now? No coolant loss so far and coolant looks clean. Only the milk-like mixture in the filler cap and not in the dipstick.

Additional info: This 4Runner has not been driven for 2 years by the previous owner, probably once in a while to recharge the battery. Since I bought it (2 weeks ago), I only turned the engine on for like 3 times for 2-3 minutes.

Plese give me a peace of mine.

Thanks

That milky stuff is normal for a car sitting that long and not being driven long(very short trips etc). You want to drive the truck long and hard(not beat on it hard) but preferably take a nice 20-30 minute highway drive to burn it off. I'd probably just drive it and drain the oil if you haven't already, put a nice dino oil in there for your first OCI and switch it to whatever floats your boat. Do you know how long that oil was in the truck for?

^ Thanks alot man, I hope you're right. I don't really know how long was the oil been there, but it looks clean. Anyway, I will drive the car today in Thousand Oaks (20-25 minute drive), then put my free Peak oil reserve for a while then the Pennzoil Platinum as our fellow members suggested.

^ What do you mean by that?

Update: I put MMO today and drove the car for 40 miles. I'm planning to drive like 200 miles more before oil change. I will put the Peak motor oil first then 3k oci before the PP. SOunds good???

Thanks

Bump! THe milky stuff was gone. I'm not sure if its because of the MMO or the 40 mile drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back