Which oil weight to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new corvette and will soon be changing oil for the first time! It will be kept in a heated garage and not driven in the winter. Which oil weight should I use? I was thinking about using 5-30 but would 10-30 or 10-40 give more protection during the summer months when heat will be more of a concern?

More and more now I see 5w30 putting up numbers just as good as 10w30, however I still lean towards the 10w30 because on paper it's a better built oil with less viscosity index improvers. So it's more shear stable, usually has a higher HTHS number, and is less volatile. And if you're not going to drive in the winter, you don't need the faster cold weather flow of the 5w30 anyways.

10w40 probably won't give you any more protection, the LS1 engine works well on the 30wt oils.

I'm super jealous by the way, the C5 is my dream car! What color is it? Is it automatic or 6 speed? A few years ago I used to own a 98 Firebird Formula 6 speed with the LS1 engine, and currently own a 95 Firebird Formula (LT1 engine)

It is a 2003 Ann Edition vette vert which is a metallic maroon although GM calls it a red! I got the auto so my wife can drive it! If I let her! Thanks for your reply!

quote:

Originally posted by yankees1:
It is a 2003 Ann Edition vette vert which is a metallic maroon although GM calls it a red! I got the auto so my wife can drive it! If I let her! Thanks for your reply!

The anniversary edition is my favorite! I love that dark red color! My Firebird is a dark red similar to that, but not as nice of a red. Here are pics of mine:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1320/95form.html

There is a dealer a short drive from me that has an anniversary coupe in stock, in automatic, so if i win the lottery I'm down there so fast it's not funny!
smile.gif

Welcome to our forum!
Keep that baby well lubricated!

grin.gif

10-30 it is!! Now I have to decide which oil to use?? Mobile 1 or Amsoil??
dunno.gif
I will change oil every 3000 miles regardless!

Got to tour the Corvette assembly plant in Sept 2002. Famtasic tour. Best part of the tour was at the place near the end of the line that the car is fired up (they call is born) for the first time, as we were watching the workers, one of them came over to the group and singled out a young lady to start the car. They sit her in the car as it is still off the floor be about a foot, have her turn the wheels, test some onther things, and in about a 1 minute its roaring to life. Then he gives here a certificate saying that she just gave birth to a 2003 Corvette Z06. To say she was thilled was a understatement. 2 from our group got to fire them up. One of the last spots was where they test the car on a dyno for brake and emission certicifation. They run the car a 75mph for about 5 minutes waiting for a big stop light to turn green indicating it passed and off to the water bath to check for leaks and out the door. Seems like every time I turned around I saw a car carrier loaded with Vette's heading for I65.

On the oil, do not use the 10W40, gm engines are not designed for this oil and they wanr you agianst using it. Most likely because it can affect fuel economy but I also read something about rings problems with the 40wt oils?

[ December 21, 2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

offtopic.gif
I got my 59 Vette in 1974 from a friend that was retired. Red with a white top. This was my daily driver for 11 years and I retired it to show and polish for parades ect. This car was stock. I then became a traitor and my daily driver was a Porsche and a GM pickup.

I sold the Vette last year, after alot of tears from my wife. But I let Dollar signs get in the way of logic.

One item of note: I never met a person, child or adult that didn't know that it was a Vette. Even 4 and 5 year old kids would say, Daddy look there is a Corvette.

I still have my 82 Eldorado Alpine Custom Conv. I only have 6K miles on it from new. White with red leather interior, white convertible top. Thus the Alpine Edition. For those that are GM experts, GM didn't start remaking the production Eldorado Convertible until 1983.

[ December 21, 2002, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
offtopic.gif

I sold the Vette last year, after alot of tears from my wife. But I let Dollar signs get in the way of logic.

I made the same mistake a few years ago when I sold my 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible. It was a limited edition model that was green with a white top and white leather interior. It is called the "7-Up" edition by mustang enthusiasts because the car was orginally designed and produced for a failed marketing campaign between 7-Up and Ford. At the time my wife and I had three cars a new home and money was tight. I let dollar sign get in the way also. I should have kept the car, garaged it and driven it on cool spring days with my wife and daughter. I have regretted the decision ever since
frown.gif
frown.gif
-Joe

offtopic.gif
59Vetteman, does that mean that you are going to change your name to 82Eldoradoman???
wink.gif
Just kidding, Joe

What about the 0w-40? That is Mobil's best oil according to some people. I'd stick with Mobil 1 and use a 5w in winter and 10w in summer. I think Amsoil is only worth it for extended drains.
A guy at work has a new Z06 six speed....sweeeeet. There is no better sports car for the money then the Vette. To bad Chevy can't get the rest of there line up up to world standards. They are waaay behind.
BTW, Phillies will beat your yankees next season and the Eagles are going to the super bowl!

[ December 21, 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Phillies won't even make it to the World Series! Yanks will be there!! If its a Yanks/Phillies World Series I'll bet you one quart of Amsoil!!
grin.gif

lol
grin.gif
We picked up some great players...should be good!! E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!!!

quote:

dunno.gif

Stick around here and we'll show you that you should at least change your interval to 5k, as the 3k interval is way too soon. I just did a 5k run in my wife's car with Mobil 1 5w30 and it proved that it was nowhere near finished up, had almost no contaminents in it, and could've easily gone a few thousand more miles.

Picking an oil is something you should do only after reviewing the tens of thousands of posts on here!
smile.gif

PS-I took the Corvette plant tour twice now, what an awesome experience! Seeing my favorite car being built was an experience I'll never forget.

[ December 21, 2002, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Yankees1,

I've been using Amsoil for almost 25 years, but if you are dead set on changing oil every 3000 miles, I'd run Mobil 1, 5w-30. I prefer the 5w-30 over the 10w-30 for an over head cam engine, as it is important to get sufficient oil flow while the engine is warming up. Actually, I'd run the Amsoil 0w-30 in this motor, with a 7500 mile change interval if I drove it really hard.

I am close to buying a 1994 Porsche 911 Targa, w/ Tiptronic for my wife and will probably run the Amsoil, Series 2000, 0w-30 in that motor in the winter, and the Amsoil 10w-40 in the summer. This 3.6L motor has a dry sump and holds about 10 quarts of synthetic - they all come with Mobil 1 right from the factory ....Not as fast as a Vette, but the handling is incredible, if you don't mind hanging the tail out and never lifting or braking in the middle of a turn ....The brakes are amazing as well - it feels like a giant hand has reached down and grabbed the car.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I've been using Amsoil for almost 25 years, but if you are dead set on changing oil every 3000 miles, I'd run Mobil 1, 5w-30. I prefer the 5w-30 over the 10w-30 for an over head cam engine, as it is important to get sufficient oil flow while the engine is warming up.

Yeah, but the LS1 and LS6 engines are not OHC (unless GM has done a major redesign I haven't heard about).

quote:

dunno.gif

Mobil 1 10/30 and not because the Mobil is factory fill either or it costs less. It will pump just fine for you and many " adjustments " can be made to tweek the VI

One thing though,does you owners manual allow for a 10/30 under warranty?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
It's true, the LS1/LS6 is still a good old fashioned pushrod motor. All aluminum with iron liners.

The owners manual, if I remember correctly from my 98 Formula, states you can use 10w30 if it's above 32F. So it can be used under the warranty period if you wish.

According to my vette manual you can use 10w-30 from zero degrees and up! Below zero you should use 5w-30!

It's true, the LS1/LS6 is still a good old fashioned pushrod motor. All aluminum with iron liners.

The owners manual, if I remember correctly from my 98 Formula, states you can use 10w30 if it's above 32F. So it can be used under the warranty period if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back