Which Oil Weight for a Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any particular brand or weight for a Volvo Turbo? I have a 2002 S60 2.4T with 91000 miles on it. I would like to switch to a synthetic oil.

7500 mile OCI seems a little long for a dino oil, especially in a turbo. Volvo manuals seem to think it's OK and mention very little about synthetics.

quote:

7500 mile OCI seems a little long for a dino oil, especially in a turbo.

ditto.

from the above link:

"Depending on your driving habits, premium or synthetic oils may provide superior fuel economy and engine protection. ..."

That sounds like legal eagle or bean counter language to me. I can't believe the Volvo engine engineers wouldn't have tested synthetics on their turbo engines. Maybe they designed their turbo engines with extra large oil passages to handle the dino oil coke/sludge for that 7500mil OCI.
grin.gif

A 7500 mile factory-recommended OCI is not unusual nowadays, esp from European marques. But I'd run that OCI with synthetic, such as Syntec 0w30 or M1 0w40, if it were me. Turbos need a oil that resists coking and sludging, which means synthetic.

Id run M1 0w-40 if volvo didnt give aq good reccomebdation of grade.

My saab came with a light elf 0w-30, which worked great. I wouldnt be scared to use a lighter 30 wt in the car, so long as it was half decent.

For me I have to meet ACEA A3 and GM-LL-025A; which M1 0w-40 meets... I doubt your requirements are that different.

JMH

The sump, IIRC, on that engine is 6qts, which is quite large and was probably designed to reduce stress on the oil. Any xw-30 synthetic that stays in grade would get my vote.

A 30 is just OK in that engine. Synthetic for sure. 40's seem to work better. A good synthetic 5W-40 is your best bet. MW is correct, but some of the sumps hold almost 7+ qts, mine does.

I'm convinced that any 0w30 would work well for a turbo engine(hot 0w30 cools faster than hot but thicker 5w40, less drag, etc)..so long as it has the ACEA A3/B3(and/or B4)rating. The more approvals(VW 502.00, etc.)the better, as in GC for my ATW 1.8T.

[ January 04, 2006, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back