Which oil to use? Too many choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2014 Impreza after I said goodbye to my 2004 Forester with 230,000 miles (was still running well!).

Anyway I understand that there is no "best" oil to use but I want to start off on the right foot with this new car and get the same number of miles as my old Forester.

With my Forester I ran only brand name synthetics and bought what was on sale. I would love to hear an opinion or two if I should just forget about saving a few dollars and go with one brand and just stick with it. Maybe it doesn't matter.

By the way the Impreza uses 5w 20.

Thanks in advance -

If u want to use one brand of oil, wait for a super oil sale and bye enough quarts of 5w20 (brand of ur choice) for like 10 oils changes. I did it when Penz ultra was $3/qt. I bought 6 oil changes for my escalade.

Originally Posted By: JohnMc
I just purchased a 2014 Impreza after I said goodbye to my 2004 Forester with 230,000 miles (was still running well!).

With my Forester I ran only brand name synthetics and bought what was on sale. I would love to hear an opinion or two if I should just forget about saving a few dollars and go with one brand and just stick with it. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Based on your first sentence, I would agree; it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I would pick one name brand oil and stick with it. I also like to use OEM oil filters, at least through the first 3 or 4 oil changes.

I can this if you plan to use M1 or Syntec, especially for European applications.

I buy on price and stick with Shell, Quaker State and Pennzoil. The differences are minimal, and I can get cost down to about $3/qt. by buying on sale at WM, Menards or BJs.

Last edited:
Assuming you can get it done for a fair price, I would take it to the dealer through the warranty period.

Otherwise, I think your habit of using whatever synthetic of the correct weight and grade that is on sale is an excellent one. "Sale" synthetic is top notch stuff.

I would use Mobil 1 0W-20 exclusively. It is readily available and will protect your Subaru very well. Another member here, Tig1, uses it exclusively in his vehicles for 10k intervals and his engines are spotless inside. It is a very good oil.

I would look into what Subaru put in there ,Toyota as a deal with Subaru for the brz (or Toyota 86)so the oil should be decent .Subaru has their own formula for drive train so I suspect its similar here (tgmo 0w20 with Subaru sticker maybe)

Since you got 230k miles out of your previous Subie on major-brand synthetics bought on sale, I'd say just stick with that.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Since you got 230k miles out of your previous Subie on major-brand synthetics bought on sale, I'd say just stick with that.

+1
I would agree. Stay on coarse with previous plan, you'll be fine.

I think we all pretty much agree there is nothing wrong with what you're doing, buying the cheapest name brand 5W-20 syn sale.
I would add that you could expand the scope to any API 5W-20 syn on sale or even any API SN 5W-20 so-called conventional on sale, they'll all do the job.

This Impreza has a 0W-20 recommended for it.
You can get two cheap changes of 0W-20 by registering your car for the Quaker State and PP engine warranties and using the twenty buck MIRs you get with each.
After that, buy whatever comes cheaply after sales, closeouts and MIRs.
NAPA has their branded version of Synpower for $3.49/qt a couple of times each year, for example, with no MIRs to fool with and it is offered in the 0W-20 grade.
M1 has a $12.00 off a jug MIR through 10/31/14 from selectd retailers and M1 0W-20 AFE is good stuff.
If none of the above appeal, Walmart has some syn on rollback for 22.XX/jug or less most of the time and Walmart offers the 0W-20 grade in Synpower, M1, PP, Edge, MSS and QSUD that I can recall.
Lots of low cost options in 0W20s and all of them will be fine for your Subie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back