Which oil to achieve quietest 1.8L Miata motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell which other QS & Penn oils you've used? And on what motor?

Mazda actually recommends 10W-30 over 0 F. Quietest oil I've used so far is GTX HM in 10W-30. Perhaps I should just try conventional 10W-30 again. My only complaint with the GTX HM was it didn't rev more freely as the synthetics(Mobil 1) I tried.

GTX HM 10W-30 vs. PYB 10W-30 - Which one of these help engine rev more freely in your opinion?

I tried the regular GTX but nothing was more smooth and quiet than PYB 10w30...not even the PYB 5w20 or 5w30. You will usually get more free revving with a synthetic but will be noisier.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Lucas sae 70 plus.

lol.gif

yep, that should do the trick.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
You will usually get more free revving with a synthetic but will be noisier.

Yeah why is that ? Why are synthetics often noisier ?

EricTheCarGuy says that the engines used to run conventionals have larger clearances and when these engines are switched to synthetics, the easier flow of synthetics can cause noise. Source: http://youtu.be/lshd7WR-a6I

Originally Posted By: minicar
EricTheCarGuy says that the engines used to run conventionals have larger clearances and when these engines are switched to synthetics, the easier flow of synthetics can cause noise. Source: http://youtu.be/lshd7WR-a6I

Techs more often than not lack knowledge of lubrication and lubricants. Obviously there are exceptions to the fact but more often than not it is true.

Why would an engine running dino have larger clearances?

"Yeah why is that ? Why are synthetics often noisier ?"

Synthetics are saturated and have poor lubricity and solubility...especially at colder temps. They are only useful at extreme high and low temps but GII oils are pretty darn close to those specs these days and have much better lubricity. That is why you often hear cold start clatter with synthetic oil. The molecular structure in more uniform with synthetic so you have less viscous friction so they tend to allow freer revving.

So I changed to PYB 10w-30 today and drove spiritedly for about 20 miles. It sounded quieter compared to the Mobil 1s I used before but at high RPMs, I recall GTX HM 10W-30 being even more quieter. This could be because of the higher operating viscosity of GTX HM. I'll post an update in a few days if I change my opinion. For my next oil change, I'm thinking of choosing a higher grade, perhaps T6 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back