Which oil has least amount of additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

You would think I'm nuts, but which synthetic oil contains the least amount of additives and has the best base stock at the same time? Is it Mobil, Amsoil, or else?
Reason for asking - I heard somewhere that less additives oil has better the lubrication (considering that it has very good base oil).

Thanks,

Likely Aero Shell 15W50. I'd be curious to know what group that oil is blended from.
I would imagine most of the racing oils only have a boundry additive package, and not much in the way of dispersants and TBN values.

Dead post!!! Come Alive!!!

Guys, any opinions?

I would really like to know your opinion on this topic.

Thanks

[ July 15, 2003, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Titanium_Alloy ]

Titanium_Alloy: "I heard somewhere that less additives oil has better the lubrication."

shocked.gif
Where did you get that idea? It's true that an oil with a skimpier detergent/dispersant package can provide better lubrication in the short run (racing oil) but it would be worse to run this stuff over the long haul as sludge will likely form and possibly close oil galleys in your motor.

As for other metallic additives, the more the merrier ... within reason
wink.gif

I had heard of a company, Leading Edge, I think, which advertised synthetic oil and minimal additives ... but I wouldn't try their stuff.
spaz.gif
Too many charlatans in this biz.
rolleyes.gif

You might find them in a Google search.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I think Titanium_Alloy may have been speaking of viscosity improvers and not detergents in the oil.

I think the basic concept is that if you can get the base stock to do what additives had done in the past, without compromising the other characteristics of the base stock, you'll end up with a better oil. Additive deplete, whereas the base stock usually doesn't.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I think Titanium_Alloy may have been speaking of viscosity improvers and not detergents in the oil.

For daily drivers, you want the best add packages available.

For racing, Redline, Amsoil, and NEO have low-detergent oils with maximum EP and FM adds for those hot, high-load racing situations. Most "all-out" racers prefer a low DD package oil to avoid deposit build-up on plugs and combustion chambers. Pre-ignition and detonation can be devastating to a HC engine running exotic fuels.

I believe the basic concept is that no motor oil is optimum for the conditions under which it is expected to operate by itself. If that were true, we'd be pouring straight Group-III, Group- IV, and/or Group-V base stocks into our sumps. As good as Group-IVs and Group-Vs are, they still need some help with extreme pressure, viscosity at low temperatures, and suspending blowby and wear metal particulates. An operating internal combustion engine is a **** of a place for motor oil to do its job...

quote:

Originally posted by Titanium_Alloy:
Hi guys!

You would think I'm nuts, but which synthetic oil contains the least amount of additives and has the best base stock at the same time? Is it Mobil, Amsoil, or else?
Reason for asking - I heard somewhere that less additives oil has better the lubrication (considering that it has very good base oil).

Thanks,

It could be Lubro Moly 5W40

Just a minute, If it's VI additives you are trying to minimize, the oil with the narrowest viscosity "spread" should be your choice. Unfortunately, NO synthetic oils that I know of lean toward this characteristic, most are formulated for very wide spreads. Straight weight dino's on the other hand have no VII's and might be your better choice. The exception being the "specialized" products already mentioned, the Shell Helix Ultra at about $40.00/qt and the Aero oils. These are designed for specific applications and may use the very best base stocks money can buy. We each have our own theories to justify our choice of oils, I have decided to limit VII's to avoid sticking rings. Consequently, I use conventional oils with the narrowest viscosity spread recommended for my engine.

One of my customers introduced me to VP racing fuels all ester racing oils.

They make a street acceptable VP RS 5w-30,10w-40, and 20w-50. NO VII's that I am aware of,
I am considering a test run on these oils but have been delayed by poor response to my calls to formulators of the oils in San Antonio.

Anyone run them besides my valued customer ?

They remind me of what M1 trisyn and eventually M1 SS was supposed to be..... loaded with vegetable based/sourced esters to do alot of the heavy lifting.
Stay tuned.

Terry

[ July 15, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Johnny,

One of the advantages of synth is that it can do a fairly wide viscosity range without VII. I'm pretty sure M1 5w30 doesn't have any (and, by extension 10w30 also). The 0w40 is suspect has some, but I'm not sure. Redline 5w40 doesn't.

Thanks Mike, There are just TOO many details. Most synthetics aparently are produced to meet the lower end of the viscosity scale, and tend to hold better with higher temps and they can do this with fewer additives, which saves money ......pretty basic stuff. It also allows the higher fuel mileage rating to be met (and advertised). Unfortunately this is not the best choice for all engine designs. More and more engines are being developed requiring oils of a very specific viscosity rating. Dino 10W-30 comes to mind. To deviate from this can cause many problems to develop. Synthetics (being thinner) can be sucked up into the ring area more quickly, and even though they have fewer VI's, those additives that they do have can stick the rings. This will quickly result in higher oil consumption rates and an unhappy customer. Thanks for the clarification on the additives contained in synthetics. If I could modify my post to just pertain to dino oils, it would be more correct. I suppose my post was to slow things down and allow people to stop to think. Would it be better to go out and buy Shell Helix, or an Aero oil, or a racing oil, or stick with the manufacturers recomendations? Two things I'm certain of, Titanium_Alloy has is requested opinion, and I'm not ready to start filling my crankcase with vegetable oil!

RequireVars) NonCGIPath/cache-(cache_pw)/search_index/forum1_recentmeta.cgi: Unmatched right curly bracket at NonCGIPath/cache-(cache_pw)/search_index/forum1_recentmeta.cgi line 41704, at end of line
syntax error at NonCGIPath/cache-(cache_pw)/search_index/forum1_recentmeta.cgi line 41704, near "}"

Please inform the board administration of this error so that they may fix the problem. Thank you!

Oh, Board administrator.....JG

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
One of my customers introduced me to VP racing fuels all ester racing oils.

They make a street acceptable VP RS 5w-30,10w-40, and 20w-50. NO VII's that I am aware of,
I am considering a test run on these oils but have been delayed by poor response to my calls to formulators of the oils in San Antonio.

Anyone run them besides my valued customer ?

They remind me of what M1 trisyn and eventually M1 SS was supposed to be..... loaded with vegetable based/sourced esters to do alot of the heavy lifting.
Stay tuned.

Terry

Where in SA?....I can investigate this. I'll be home in a week.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back